Which Breed

Hi,

I have a Yorkie/Shih Tzu boy thats 5 months on May 14th and we are thinking about getting another dog. My family is not very active and so we don't want something that has to have alot of exercise, alittle is fine. The main thing we are looking for is a watchdog/guard dog. We want a breed that doesn't scare people, but would be intimidating to an intruder or a serial killer LOL. Since we would really like another dog that does not shed, we've been thinking about either a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, a Bouvier, a Standard Schnauzer or a Giant Schnauzer. If any of you know anything on these breeds or if you think any of them would be good or not good for the requirements that i've listed, please feel free to give your advice. Also if you know of another breed that I haven't listed, that would be great. Thanks

I have a Giant Schnauzer. Great anti-serial killer technology, but probably requires more exercise than you can handle. Plus, the GS would run your home, and it sounds like you are more of a small dog household (i.e. you run the home).

Standard Schnauzer is what first came into my mind when I began reading your post. Great guard dog, small, no shedding, and doesn't require that much exercise. Maybe others here with a Standard will have some better comments.

btw: Bouviers are similar to GS in personality. But require more time with their coats and I do believe also require significant exercise.

bubbatd

I question whether or not a terrier and a yorkie/st would get along. (?)

When I read your post, this dog came to mind :Glen of Imaal Terrier
They don't require a lot of exercise, and they have a guarding instinct. They can get along with other dogs, but rodents and such might not be so lucky. They also have a guarding instinct and have a very deep voice for such a small dog.

Here is some more links:
Glen of Imaal Terrier info
Even MORE info. lol
More info

And the picture:

From everything I've heard about Standard Schnauzers and Schnauzers in general, the require a LOT of exercise. But I don't know for sure.

Gimp, any of the working/herding breeds are going to need real exercise - mental and physical.

Oddly, an Olde English Mastiff rescue - a dog that's past puppyhood - might be your answer. They're great couch potatoes and the Olde English tend to be the mellow giants of the Mastiff lines. They do love their people though and will guard you with their lives.

falcon

Briards

Hello
I would not recommend you get a Briard in your situation.

They do shed, though not a lot, and you do have to groom them for at least 10 minutes a day, we are averaging at least 20 minutes each evening to get all the knots and dirt out. Their hair is LONG.

They also do need a fair amount of exercise - ours goes out for 45 minutes in the morning, and then an hour in the evening. Though this suits her now becuase she is overweight, once the weight drops off this exercise will be increased to an hour and a half to two hours in the evening.

Having said that they are wonderful dogs, although ours does not play gently with other dogs, and needs to be kept away from little dogs on her walks.

IF you want any other advice on getting a Briard, I would suggest you go to
www.briards.org.uk There is a fantastic forum there with loads of people willing to help.

ToyPoodle

what about toy poodles they don't shed they have a wool coat but they do need grooming everyday.They grow 10 inches or under they are great pets and great watch dogs.They need clipping every 6 to 8 weeks so if your prepared to do all this they will be a good dog for you.

emma_pen

As it hasn't been mentioned yet, I would recommend letting your little boy mature a little more before introducing a second dog. It's surprising what good watchdogs little ones can be - most terrier breeds are fearless and game.

I agree with Emma Pen, let your little one mature, you might be surprised at how good a watchdog he can be. My Shih Tzus let me know when anyone is around, somehow then can tell its a stranger and not one of the neighbors. Any barking dog will deter a wood-be robber from breaking in to your home.

Members online

No members online now.