"No-poo"/Sulfate free shampoo people.

kady05

So if you don't wash your hair but a few times a week do you still shower and just rinse it out? What if you work out?
I shower daily, so my hair gets wet everyday, but I only wash/condition it Mon/Wed/Fri. The other days I just condition (well, Sunday I do a protein treatment) it, but I use the conditioner "like" a shampoo.. I still work it into my hair a bit. I have extremely fine/thin hair (I've been losing it for a few years) and it's still never oily or anything like that. But, I also have curly hair, which is naturally more dry.. hence why I could NEVER wash it daily, it'd be a puff ball LOL.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Not exactely no poo. But question ,
My son has curly dry hair. How to help it not frizz?
I have never had to problem and don't know where to start.
He is 20 and finally is growing out of liking a fro.

Help please.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I pretty much always have several brands/formulas going at the same time. My shower is pretty packed lol
But when I fall in love with a product, it makes me very sad to have to try using something else. :p

For me washing with conditioner really does work just as well as using shampoo. I mean, I have curly hair and don't brush my hair... sooo maybe if I had straight hair that I was running a brush through, it'd get oily. I don't know. And it's not that I can go days without co-washing though, either... my scalp starts to feel yucky if I don't scrub off all the junk every day.

IMO washing your hair is more about the "motion" and less about what you actually use. If you just gently rubbed shampoo through your hair, that's not really gonna do much as far as cleaning goes. Massaging it into your scalp is where the actual cleaning comes in.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yes, I have noticed that my hair gets just as clean with conditioner as it does with shampoo if I work it into my scalp really good once or twice (if its really dirty) then if I just smooth it through.

GipsyQueen

But when I fall in love with a product, it makes me very sad to have to try using something else. :p

For me washing with conditioner really does work just as well as using shampoo. I mean, I have curly hair and don't brush my hair... sooo maybe if I had straight hair that I was running a brush through, it'd get oily. I don't know. And it's not that I can go days without co-washing though, either... my scalp starts to feel yucky if I don't scrub off all the junk every day.

IMO washing your hair is more about the "motion" and less about what you actually use. If you just gently rubbed shampoo through your hair, that's not really gonna do much as far as cleaning goes. Massaging it into your scalp is where the actual cleaning comes in.
I have thin straight hair - extrensive brushing does make it oily (at least for me) I brush well in the morning - esp. after I washed my hair. I only use ONE brush for that. During the day I'll use a comb, same in the evening. Using a comb def. helped alot as aposed to a brush. I do have to brush in the morning though because my hair tangles easily.

milos_mommy

Help please.
Does he wash every day? I feel like as girls, we're told how damaging that can be, but lots of men don't get that memo. Boys are also more likely to skip conditioner. Changing to a sulfate free shampoo would likely help, too.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My hair is absolutely nasty if I don't wash it every 24 hours. I can't imagine not washing it every day.

Taqroy

So if you don't wash your hair but a few times a week do you still shower and just rinse it out? What if you work out?
I don't shower everyday unless I'm really sweaty and gross so I don't usually do anything special to my hair in between. If I'm icky then I'll get it wet but that's pretty much it. If I worked out on a regular basis then I'd probably end up doing more.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Does he wash every day? I feel like as girls, we're told how damaging that can be, but lots of men don't get that memo. Boys are also more likely to skip conditioner. Changing to a sulfate free shampoo would likely help, too.
When he asked me he was washing it daily and not using conditioner at all.
I told him to start with the conditioner and we would go from there.
I am shopping for an affordable SLSfree one now.
He has started using a axe all over body wash and it is helping , but it still is
frizzy, but some curls are starting to stay curly and not frizz.
i will get some pics later tonight. He also brushes it , i told him to finger brush it but he says its not brushed then. should i suggest a pick and a leave in.
his hair is kenny g curly also.

milos_mommy

Combing rather than brushing would help the curls form but won't do much to help frizz caused by dryness. Also a good diet, vitamin e supplement, and staying hydrated will help.

CaliTerp07

I've been doing the sulfate free thing for 3 months now, and don't notice any benefits :( My hair looks way oilier/grosser at the end of the day than it did with "regular" shampoo. Makes me sad, like I'm failing. How long should it take to see a difference?

I have very fine, stick straight hair that is falling out rapidly :( I was hoping the sulfate free shampoo would help, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The only difference is that if I shower in the morning, by the end of the day my hair is gross and I have to wash it again if I have plans to go out. I try to do conditioner only on the weekends, but ughhhh only if I am not leaving the house, else it's SO OILY and dirty looking.

Taqroy

I've been doing the sulfate free thing for 3 months now, and don't notice any benefits :( My hair looks way oilier/grosser at the end of the day than it did with "regular" shampoo. Makes me sad, like I'm failing. How long should it take to see a difference?

I have very fine, stick straight hair that is falling out rapidly :( I was hoping the sulfate free shampoo would help, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The only difference is that if I shower in the morning, by the end of the day my hair is gross and I have to wash it again if I have plans to go out. I try to do conditioner only on the weekends, but ughhhh only if I am not leaving the house, else it's SO OILY and dirty looking.
Honestly sulfate free doesn't do much for me other than make my hair softer. I use it because I feel like regular shampoo strips out too much from my hair. I really think you'd have seen a difference by now if you were going to. I saw the biggest benefit in actually scrubbing my scalp (I CANNOT find the link about it to save my life, I think it was on the Long Hair Community forums). It's really just using your fingertips (not your nails) to rub your scalp with shampoo or conditioner for a couple minutes. You should see results immediately - might be worth a try?

ETA: I also have super fine hair. Not stick straight though, I can get curls out of it if I have the time/inclination (I usually do not).

Last edited:

Miakoda

I have thin and baby fine hair, too, and I just looked like a walking greaseball after 8 weeks. I went back to regular shampoos, and I can skip a day if I'm just staying in (otherwise I have to wash every day...but I can pull it up that second day without it looking too bad).

CaliTerp07

Honestly sulfate free doesn't do much for me other than make my hair softer. I use it because I feel like regular shampoo strips out too much from my hair. I really think you'd have seen a difference by now if you were going to. I saw the biggest benefit in actually scrubbing my scalp (I CANNOT find the link about it to save my life, I think it was on the Long Hair Community forums). It's really just using your fingertips (not your nails) to rub your scalp with shampoo or conditioner for a couple minutes. You should see results immediately - might be worth a try?

ETA: I also have super fine hair. Not stick straight though, I can get curls out of it if I have the time/inclination (I usually do not).
I have thin and baby fine hair, too, and I just looked like a walking greaseball after 8 weeks. I went back to regular shampoos, and I can skip a day if I'm just staying in (otherwise I have to wash every day...but I can pull it up that second day without it looking too bad).
That makes me feel better! I felt like I was a freak of nature. I miss my good smelling, cheap, chemical laden shampoos!

I will try massaging my scalp more. I tend to scritch it with my fingernails, but I will attempt to avoid that and see what happens.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I am making my first step to sulfate free tomorrow. I bought Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo today (didn't need conditioner yet) and we will see how it goes.

Mainly I want something healthier because I have been working out pretty much every day, which means showers every day.

Right now I use Suave which is like $1.06, so the smaller size and $6.99 pricetag was a bit to swallow!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.

Help please.
Go as chemical free as possible. Absolutely no brushing when it's dry... but it's okay to do when it's wet. Also another one that most people don't know is you shouldn't use regular terry cloth towels on curly hair. They do make like, special microfiber towels for curly hair, but even a 100% cotton t-shirt can be used. Yep, it sounds weird - but the little fibers in regular towels cause curly hair to frizz.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Go as chemical free as possible. Absolutely no brushing when it's dry... but it's okay to do when it's wet. Also another one that most people don't know is you shouldn't use regular terry cloth towels on curly hair. They do make like, special microfiber towels for curly hair, but even a 100% cotton t-shirt can be used. Yep, it sounds weird - but the little fibers in regular towels cause curly hair to frizz.
Amen on the no brushing.
Breaks my heart when I see people with curly hair brushing their hair with bristle brushes when dry. YOU ARE GOING TO END UP WITH A FRIZZY FRO!!

Use a comb, work/detangle your hair wet (dry with cotton tshirt like SP said), add some anti friz serum/leave in conditioner and don't TOUCH IT

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I learned a long time ago not to do that lol. If I have to re-brush my hair I always always wet it first. Like I said I had this awesome stuff from Gernier (spelling???) fruitis that comes in a stand-up bottle & it's called "anti humidity styling cream" strong hold & it's 98% naturally derived. It has no scent or artificial perfumes & it washes out easily (since I wash with conditioner) but if I don't wash my hair for a day or two it doesn't cause aNy build up & if I don't wash it out (like if its too cold to shower or something ) then it lasts a couple of days before I have to put more, all I have to do is wet my hair to activate it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Amen on the no brushing.
Breaks my heart when I see people with curly hair brushing their hair with bristle brushes when dry. YOU ARE GOING TO END UP WITH A FRIZZY FRO!!

Use a comb, work/detangle your hair wet (dry with cotton tshirt like SP said), add some anti friz serum/leave in conditioner and don't TOUCH IT
Yeah I didn't really grasp the "no brushing" thing until about... oh... a year or two ago??? :rofl1: I thought my hair was "wavy" not curly, and that therefore I could brush it. Well I couldn't, which partly explains why my hair was a disaster the first 19 years of my life LOL.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I also have rather thick hair so I "shed" a lot. My hair (as far as I can tell) never seems thinner for it, but I always end up having to clean out my brush every few days & what comes out is a big ole hair ball :/.

OH likes to tease me about losing my hair but like I said it never "looks" thinner (except on certain times in my cycle when it will at times get a tad thinner ... But it always bounces right back) I take a collagen supplement & everything & am a generally healthy person.

I guess it's just me lol.

Members online