What do you bring when you take your dog somewhere?

When you take your dog somewhere for a day trip (like to the park or a trial or some other sort of event)...what do you make sure to bring for them?

I'm trying to put together a "dog bag" - one that's always stocked with the essentials so I can just grab it and go whenever Jack and I are going places. Right now, I usually just end up stuffing things in my purse, and I always forget something. Today at Walmart I bought a bag that's going to be designated as my "dog bag".

So far I have:

Treats
Treat Pouch
Clicker
Water Bottle
Bowl
Copy of Rabies Certificate
Dog First Aid Kit

Can anyone think of anything else?

yoko

I usually just take
Rabies Cert
Water bottle
Spare collar/leash
Treats/food depending on how long we will be out.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I bring poop bags, a frisbee/chuckit, and a string cheese. Everywhere we go has a water source. :) and my dogs have their licenses, I've never thought to bring a rabies cert.

CaliTerp07

String cheese, bully sticks, slip lead, collapsible water bowl and bottle of water, and poop bags (this is for an agility trial).

FG167

Bwahahaha I am a gear bag junky!

All things necessary for all the sports I do:

Flyball:

Schutzhund:

Agility/General training:

Extras we keep in the car at all times (jumper cables, crocs, first aid kits, sunscreen, bug dope, extra toys, loads of tennis balls and poop bags):

Each bag photo can be clicked on and it will go to the original, with a list of what I keep in each bag. Otherwise, HERE are all of the pics from those bags. I *just* bought a smaller bag for dog shows - it has a UKC show collar/lead, an SV/USA show collar/lead, a ball, spray conditioner to make coats shiny, my dremel, an undercoat rake, a small paddle brush and mat detangler goo, poop bags...etc LOL I am an organizational freak :D

ETA: I also have a binder with pics of my dogs side and head shot and copies of all of their records (registration papers, rabies cert, shot records, microchip info etc) and I make and keep "quick cards" with that info that stay in my purse. Oh, and I have chairs and a cooler I take too...and a water bag for when we go swimming that has Wubbas and a shammy in it...and poop bags! Water and water and more water, the Chuckit lives in the car as do at least 2 leashes per dog.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow FG... I don't know whether to be impressed or scared. :eek:

LOLJK, I'm so jealous of your sweet, organized sport bags!!! I need to do something like that. I forget at least a few necessary items every time I go to classes/trials. Erytime!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I usually bring the dog... sometimes treats. Oh and the poop bags are attached to the leash so I can't forget them :p and a camera.

Snark

Mutts to you
Not as organized as FG but close - I have separate bags for agility, obedience, scootering, tracking and 'goin' to Gramma's'. All have their own toys, poop bags, leashes, collars, water bottles, bowls, treats, treat bags and whatever else is specific to that activity. Since I'm usually on a tight schedule, it's a lot easier to just grab the necessary bag (and dog) and run.

I have a separate file for the dogs' med records, photos, etc (rather than filing them with the general household receipts) but I like the 'quick card' idea to carry with me. Sometimes I'll get emails at work about dog activities/shows/lessons and while I carry copies of vaccination records, I keep forgetting the ID numbers (such as Riley's Canine Partner # and/or his Mixed Breed Club #).

JacksonsMom

Wow! So organized, FG. That's so awesome.

Speaking of bags and the like - I've been wanting to get a bag just for Jackson. I want it personalized with his name on it, too, hehe... because whenever we go somewhere, I tend to throw his things along with my stuff, or in my purse, or whatever. I go to my dads for nights at a time with him and it will be sooo much easier if I have a better set up. Any suggestions on cheap cute bags that can be personalized?

Snark

Mutts to you

Speaking of bags and the like - I've been wanting to get a bag just for Jackson. I want it personalized with his name on it, too, hehe... because whenever we go somewhere, I tend to throw his things along with my stuff, or in my purse, or whatever. I go to my dads for nights at a time with him and it will be sooo much easier if I have a better set up. Any suggestions on cheap cute bags that can be personalized?
You could look for an embroidery or silkscreen company if you want a professional look but a single bag will cost you (rather than a bulk order).

Do you have a local art store (like Dick Blick) or a crafts store? You can pick up materials for decorating cloth and I think they sell canvas bags, too; so you could do it yourself.

Kayla

Wow, I love reading everyone's answers, a friend of mine inspired me recently to organize a bag for day to day use that has made taking Duke and Mavrick out run more smoothly.

I keep my day to day use bag loaded and just hang it on my door. It has a collapsable water bowl. a 1.5L water bottle to fill before I leave, vet wrap for any injuries ( last winter when running, Mavrick tore his skin around his nail leaving tons of blood everywhere, and vet wrap would have been so helpful), there field toys, a pet corrector air horn (for use on offleash dogs if needed) and lastly I put my treats in before I leave to go on their walk. I also keep both of their leashes attached to their collars and head halters by the door so there all in one place.

For camping I bring my day use bag and also bring vet records, print off a list of nearby vet clinics with address and phone number, and some bones/ kongs and stuffing that can be kept in the cooler. I usually also bring their crates, long lines, life jackets and cooling vests.

Check with Miakoda and see if she's got something in the Thirty-One bags that would suit what you need. :)

BostonBanker

Yeesh, you guys are far more organized than I am!

I keep registrations and rabies records in my glove box so they are always near-by.

I have my "agility bag" which probably needs to be cleaned out. Treats, targets and clickers, all floating on a sea of old ribbons, course maps, pens and water bottles. There are probably a few collars and leashes in there as well. I'm scared to stick my hand down and check.

There are always toys, spare leashes, poop bags, and cool coats in my car.

chaospony

I just have a 'dog park/walk' bag. Not the most convenient bag, everything just puddles at the bottom and makes things akward! We have collapsible bowl, water bottle, treats, 2 balls, poop bags, hand sanitizer and I always carry a bunch if business cards from my vet and the emergency clinic, as well as from several groomers in town. I am always getting asked for recomendations, then asked again when they forget!
It feels like a nice chnage when I just grab the leashes, stuff some poop bags and treats in a pocket and go for a walk without lugging everything around!

MicksMom

Hey- that's Caleb's training bag, too! :) I love it.

For day things (trails, road trips, etc), I take his training bag. In it is:
health info (copies of: vaccination certs, micro chip info, town license, neauter cert, etc)
copies of AKC & UKC registration
CGC & RN certificates
extra collar & tags
extra leash
flexi
brush & comb
hand towel
treats
folding water bowl
poop bags
and a few human things like Advil, Altoids, etc (easier than hauling a seperate bag for me at trials)

Non-splash water bowl

gallon of water

crate(s)

That bag also goes on vacation with us.

Both vehicles have the same copies of health info and other certificates in the glove box, poop bags and folding water bowls. As well as and "emergency box" that has first aid kits, jumper cables, blankets, etc. There is also a pop up crate in the truck.

Nosework
a "simple" bag (old canvas tool bag) with:
harness
two ASAT lines
folding water bowl
containers with odors
hand towel
travel odor kit
copy of vacs
poop bags

Hiking bag
harness
ASAT leash
boat rope leash
comb/brush
ACV/water spray
waterless shampoo
bumper
tennis ball
towels
folding water bowl
my water shoes

All my bags have hand sanitizer hanging on them and a travel thing of hand wipes

Wow FG and MicksMom thanks for the ideas, they have been stolen from you ;) Going Puppy stuff shopping this weekend so my bag is "in progress"

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I have a yellow jansport "dog" backpack and within is..

- Treats bag (the kind that hangs off my belt)
- Long lead (20 ft)
- clicker
- water bottle
- Collapsible bowl
- ball
- camera
- dog pickup bags
- baby wipes
- hand sanitizer
- tissues
- towel (I use it to sit in the grass and then later dry off wet dog)
- sunscreen
- Book or Ipad
- Phone
- Wallet/keys etc.. because dog walks always end up being errand trips
- Picture of dog/copy of rabies cert.

Toller_08

Wow, some of you sure are organized! I take a collapsible bowl, a bottle of water, a toy or two and maybe a long line. Usually some treats but those stay in my pocket rather than in the bag. And poop bags of course.

Members online

No members online now.