jumping fence

V

Van_canucks

I have a 9 month old mixed breed puppy part grey hound part hound , anyway she has figured out how to jump my back fence and go to the neighbours to play with there dog. My fence is 4 ft high to build a new one is to costly so i bought the invisible fence and put it in and i wanted to see what type of correction it gave the dog and it felt like being tazed! so i wanna know if there is another way to stop my dog from jumping the fence? if im out with her in the back yard weeding the garden she jumps it, the neighbour brings her dog over and after awhile she jumps it to wander around the neighbour hood. I dont want to get rid of her i need to get educated on training her that jumping the fence is bad or training tips on the invisible fence

thanks van_canucks

The pain from the invisible fence is minor compared to being hit by a car, and there are some dogs that just can't resist the desire to get out and run around. The sighthounds have a real urge to follow anything interesting they see.

I'd just make sure that anytime your dog is in the yard she's wearing the collar that keys the fence. She won't get stung too many times before she figures out where her boundaries are.

V

Van_canucks

training

have you used this fence before? how did you introduce your pet to it? how much training did you do? the shock is high and i dont hink you can turn it down at all. i have been walking her up to the flags and pulling her back saying bad, im just scared that if she gets a corrections she will be afraid to go out in the yard?

I haven't used the invisible fence before, but we have extra-hot electric fences for cows. The guys running the new phone lines actually tested them with their equipment, jumped back, swore, then asked me to be sure they were turned off while they were working! The dogs get into them every once in awhile, typically by hitting them while they're going underneath. They sound like it's the end of the world, especially when they're wet! I've been caught a couple of times and I probably could have taught a hard-core biker a word or two! (lol) But it's over and they figure out where not to go very quickly. The best reaction to the fence I've seen, though, was little Kharma's first encounter with it: she got zapped and it made her mad, so she turned around and bit it . . . twice. She was all of 11 weeks old at the time.

I think what you're doing with the flags is a fantastic idea, since she can't actually see the "invisible" fence. I've often thought it would be more effective if it were actually above ground and visible to the dog. We used an electric dog fence with one of my Mom's terriers who used to climb the fence every chance she got. Since you've got an actual fence around the yard, it should deter her from bolting from the yard the first time she gets zapped, but if it all possible, I would make sure I was outside supervising whenever she is in the yard for awhile and be ready with some comfort for her. Then take her out in the middle of the yard and pet her and play with her for awhile.

Fatstrat

Invisable fence

My neighbors had a problem w/thier dogs jumping the fence and they used the 'Invisable" electric fence device. It stopped broke the dogs of the habit and my neighbors have even taken the electric wires down.

Dogs where I am from in rual mississippi only hit the cattle fence about once..
they learn real fast in the country...

Chazhound

I've noticed that. I think Kharma's initial reaction was fairly unique, and it gave me a quick look at what her adult attitude's going to be like! It doesn't bode well for any coyotes foolish enough to cross her path.

Members online

No members online now.