Help..I am REALLY interested in learning

Mindy40

How to groom my standard poodle and Goldendoodle. I have always wanted to learn, but do not know how to go about it. Can I learn by online course, video, just having someone show me if possible. Should I go through a program? I really just want to learn for my own personal use, but would possibly consider doing more after I retire from my current employment. Do you need to be certified or have a diploma? Does it make much of a difference? I live in Michigan.

thanks so much.

bubbatd

If you do learn ... I'd offer the ponydoodle cut and make money !

duncan15

if you have the extra time, i would recommend getting a job as an assistant or a bather at a local salon. most will train, and if you explain that you want to eventually learn to groom they might be more willing. then you can learn the basics, as most bathers do hand drying, and sanitary clips, and basic trimming, all things you need to learn, especially with a poodle. it is very important to learn how to dry these dogs, or else you will be looking at a matted mess. i would get a good book (i recommend Notes From The Grooming Table), and watch what the others groomers do. you can learn a lot by watching them, how they get to certain areas of the dog, how to handle a dog who is being difficult, all sorts of things.

and be prepared to invest some money on supplies. cheap stuff does not last, and in the long run the more you spend on a specific item, the better in the long run, especially when dealing with dryers and tables and clippers. also be prepared for a lot of work. generally, people have no idea how to get a dog really clean. and no cut or blow dry will look good on a dog unless it is washed completely. it is very hard and you have two dogs that are difficult to groom just b/c of the hair.

Members online

No members online now.