Wow--THAT was Really Scary!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Yesterday afternoon was nice so we went to the dog park with Jack. When we got there there was a golden and a GSD in there owned by the same people. The GSD was barking at us, but lots of dogs seem to bark at approaching dogs I've noticed and do fine once the dog comes in--not this time.

The two other dogs ran down to one end of the park so I released Jack at the gate and he ran down to play. As soon as he got to the golden, the GSD ran over and jumped him, growling. Jack didn't cry or anything--I started down there quickly and was calling to him--he got away from the GSD and ran up to me. The GSD caught up to him, tackled him, and had him up against the fence yelping :yikes:.

By the time we got down there the owners had gotten the dog off of Jack. I checked him over and there was no blood just lots of slobber on his head so his face must have gotten it good. But the attacking dog was STILL loose and the people (mother and teenage daughter) could not catch him. We were up against the fence and I was afraid if we moved towards the gate Jack would be more vulnerable so I wielded the prong collar and leash like a weapon and had Jack behind me while the dog kept circling us trying to get to Jack and the girl tried to grab the dog.

Even better, the mother was scared of the GSD and so would grab him if he got close but just shoo him with the leash. They finally rounded him up and took him to the car. They were very apologetic and very concerned about Jack's well being--which was nice, because I would have had a whole different attitude about the whole thing if they had been asshats. When I told them there was no blood, they were like "Oh good--well, he's never drawn blood before......"

Apparently this was the first time the GSD had been to the park and they promised me it would be the last. The mother kept insisting the he was the daughter's idea to buy and that he needed to go to a home with "a man or a police force or something" because he was too much dog for the daughter.

I felt kind of bad for the GSD after that. He had the look of a working line dog and the mom said the daughter didn't do much training with him. He was probably just a dog bored to tears that didn't belong in the dog park. I told the woman that my other dog was not good in the DP and that not all dogs are, and it doesn't make them bad--they just have different needs.

It ended happily though--they stayed with the golden, who was a good playmate, and someone else showed up with a lab, and a good time was had by all.

Scary though--never had something quite like that happen at the park....

Snark

Mutts to you
That is scary! Glad Jack was okay - I guess he wasn't too traumatized if he was playing with the golden afterwards.

Our local feed store has a fenced field behind them and holds doggy play days occasionally. They were supposed to have a puppy playday yesterday but when I got there, all the dogs were adults (2 Great Danes, a bulldog, a pitbull mix and a cocker); we didn't go in...

DanL

That's why I never take my GSD to the dog park. He's just not into strange dogs being in his space. He wouldn't run one down and attack it but if strange dogs get too close he's not real happy and will let it be known.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Same reason Lacey doesn't go much, she has this *need* to protect me and whether it be another dog or person it's not worth the liability of someone getting in my face and getting nailed...it's come real close before when some guy shoved me at the DP, so yeah, definitely not a place I go if there's people there.

chicklette

Animal Nut!
Oh Im glad Jack was okay. That is a relief. By the way off topic, one of my dogs names is Jack. But I bet it was very scary. My heart would have dropped. One time we were taking my dogs for a walk and these two little puppies come running down the block with the mom calling after them. I almost had a heart attack because my dogs are not friendly to other dogs. I grabbed Rocky and my dad grabbed Jack. My heart was thumping. I just didn’t want the puppies getting hurt but they should have been on a leash. I felt horrible and explained to the lady they are not dog friendly. They even slightly tolerate each other and there sisters.

But Im glad everything worked out for you.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
That is scary! Glad Jack was okay - I guess he wasn't too traumatized if he was playing with the golden afterwards.
Yeah, while we were still being circled by the loose GSD and I had Jack behind me trying to protect him, I feel this *thump, thump, thump* on my legs and look over to see him happily greeting the golden that had come over to say "hi" during all the chaos.......:rolleyes:

Members online