(kind) advice on dog food

Saje

Island dweller
Ok, I was feeding my pets Innova pet food when I was living in Vancouver but now I'm in the boonies and they don't have it at either (yes either) of the pet stores here. I've asked them both to look into it. One said no the other is calling his distributor.

The question is: If they can't get Innova (or another brand from the company) the other choices are Nutro, Nutrience and Eagle Pack. Any thoughts on these? Which would be better if I can't get my fave?

BTW (Renee you know this) but you remember the heat Iams/Eukanaba was getting from PETA about their horribly inhumane treatments of animals in their labs. Well, I wrote to Innova (NutraPet I think is the company name) and asked how they treat their animals. They send me a whole bunch of information. They rescue animals from other labs, rehabilitate them, treat them as they would their own pets, do not use invasive methods of testing (just stools, metabolism, palatability...) and while the animals are still young enough to enjoy life they adopt them out with employees getting first dibs. That's just one fo the reasons I love them.

Saje

I've still got that info you sent me stored in my computer. I'm going to e-mail them and ask permission to post it here.

Check the list of foods that Linda Arndt has on her website under the articles: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/criteria_list_of_better_foods.htm

She's even got toll-free numbers for most of the companies and, I think, links to websites.

You're going to love her site.

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks Renee. I've seen you list that site before but haven't gone. Going now...

2pups622, why do you like Nutro the best? Just curious. The guy at the pet store said that it's not his favourite but a lot of people like it partly because of the packaging. Why do you like it? (I'm not saying you'd like it for the packaging)

I snagged a box of Nutro treats once (Shiva kept whining at them - yeesh, like a kid - or a man - in the cereal aisle at the grocery). Won't do that again. She only got a couple before I read the ingredients. They really weren't any better than Milkbones or any of the other grocery store stuff. My fault - I knew better than to buy something without checking the label!

2pups622, you might want to check out the ingredients in the Nutro. It's not quite what you'd think it is from the packaging - or what you pay for it. They present the product very well on the surface. It makes me angry with these food manufacturers that spend so much time and money on packaging and fooling the consumer. They should be putting that money into better ingredients.

Saje

Island dweller
Renee, you're right, I liked the site. Eagle Pack might be a good option for me if I can't get Innova. I'm going to see if I can find out how they treat their lab pups. Sounds like they are pretty ethical so they might be good behind the scenes too.

pitbulliest

In my opinion, I think Timberwolf Organics is the most natural dog food kibble. I haven't had alot of time to cook for my dogs, which I do when I actually have time....so I feed them the T.O... the ingredients list is quite impressive, and if you have a working dog, T.O also sells kibble that reaches 33-35% protein levels for active dogs. Anyways..have a look..its good stuff but not that easy to find (at least in Canada).

http://www.timberwolforganics.com

Saje

Island dweller
I haven't seen that brand around here at all. I've heard it's popular.

Members online

No members online now.