Agility in the rain?

When we got her it was obvious that everything she did had been controlled (she's an adult rescue) and so she had to learn how to relax and do things without constantly checking in with me. She's come a LONG way since we started!
I'm glad you decided to go and ended up having a good day! Thanks for sharing the video and teaching Dahlia to have fun! :)

BostonBanker

Congratulations! She seems like a super sweet dog, and there is nothing like seeing those restrained, cautious girls decide the game is fun and get their motor going :) I speak from experience!

Twice I have competed in trials when it was pouring rain and neither turned out that well. In the closing in Gamblers, Remmy slipped on the grass when he went for the jump and crashed into the jump and fell. Luckily he did not hurt himself and it was his last class so we were finished.

The second time was Kiska's first ever Jumpers Class. When she tried to go through the chute (she is a very small dog) she had to try and try before she could push her way through. It took quite a while before I could get her back to running through the chute. Right after her class they did not use the chute again but that did not help her.

adojrts

Twice I have competed in trials when it was pouring rain and neither turned out that well. In the closing in Gamblers, Remmy slipped on the grass when he went for the jump and crashed into the jump and fell. Luckily he did not hurt himself and it was his last class so we were finished.

The second time was Kiska's first ever Jumpers Class. When she tried to go through the chute (she is a very small dog) she had to try and try before she could push her way through. It took quite a while before I could get her back to running through the chute. Right after her class they did not use the chute again but that did not help her.
I have seen this before as well and I don't understand why they have to wait to switch out a chute to a tunnel or just remove it. Why wait until there is a problem when the solution is so easy. One place I trial, if it is raining hard, chute comes out, kudos to them.

crysania

I have seen this before as well and I don't understand why they have to wait to switch out a chute to a tunnel or just remove it. Why wait until there is a problem when the solution is so easy. One place I trial, if it is raining hard, chute comes out, kudos to them.
I agree. At this trial they just didn't put the chute out there at all, knowing it was calling for rain. The judge made the call to replace it as they were setting up the first course. It seemed like a smart idea!

crysania

Congratulations! She seems like a super sweet dog, and there is nothing like seeing those restrained, cautious girls decide the game is fun and get their motor going :) I speak from experience!
Thank you! She's still a bit restrained but she's starting to relax more and more all the time. She's still pretty slow, but she's so much faster and less hesitant than she used to be. You can see her still checking in with me frequently, but every once in awhile she just goes for it without having to hesitate and look to make sure it's what I want (it happens on the A-Frame and again at the end). We're getting there, though there's a long way to go!

Members online