Science Diet Grain-Free Formulas

JacksonsMom

http://www.petfooddirect.com/produc...ato-Dry-Food?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

Chicken, Pea Protein Concentrate, Potato Starch, Dried Potato, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Chicken Liver Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Lactic Acid, Cranberries, Apples, Peas, Carrots, Broccoli, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Potassium Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Taurine, Beta-Carotene, Phosphoric Acid, Rosemary Extract.

As Is : Moisture - 8%
Protein - 24.4%
Fat - 15.7%
Carbs (NFE) 41.9%
Crude Fiber - 3.4%
Ash - 6.6%
Ca - 1.33%
P - 0.87%
Na - 0.27%
K - 0.67%
Mg - 0.111%
Taurine - 0.11%,

http://www.dogtipper.com/giveaways-...n-free-foods-from-science-diet-4-winners.html

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Yay, it's all peas. I wanna feed that to my dog!!1!1:wall:

It's also just proof they're out for money. I mean, hey, if you truly believe your food with corn and by-products is the best food on the market, and that corn is good and nutritious for dogs (and have spent time defending that idea), why would you make grain-free food?

Oh wait. Money.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
If I want a low-protein grain-free (and some folks do, for health reasons) I would easily choose Go over SD any day. Beet pulp. Ugh.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
If I want a low-protein grain-free (and some folks do, for health reasons) I would easily choose Go over SD any day. Beet pulp. Ugh.
Yup, and TOTW Salmon is only 25% protein as well, and the ingredient list is much better.

Dekka

Just try me..
That is ridiculously high carb still. Increase the fatm it is not going to make your dog fat (well it will if you feed to excess) but it is what makes your dog feel full. still about the protein levels more on par with an herbivore than a carnivore.

elegy

overdogged
This is so hilarious to me given how much the Hill's Rep dissed grain free foods at our lunch and learn.

Saeleofu

This is so hilarious to me given how much the Hill's Rep dissed grain free foods at our lunch and learn.
EXACTLY!!!!! We get freaking "Corn is AWESOME!!1!!1!!11" propaganda from Hills all the freaking time at work. If corn is so amazing, why take it out?

At least they kept the sawdust in. Can't lose the sawdust. :rofl1:

As a side note, my brother told me this would be coming out soon, but I honestly didn't believe him. He did however get in an argument with a Hills rep about what constitutes a grain. Apparently the rep claimed that corn is a vegetable, and not a grain :wall:

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
That site... oh my god.

OPTIMAL NUTRIENT RANGE*

*Source Small Animal Clinical Nutrition, 5th Edition.

Small Animal.

So confused. Not to mention they're selectively choosing "nutrients" that give them the edge, like calcium and phosphorus.
I have paged through that very book, and it is focused on dog and cat nutrition. "Small Animal", in veterinary medicine, generally denotes dogs and cats.

If you run a small animal practice, you see dogs and cats. If you run a large animal/production animal practice, you see cows, sheep, horses, etc.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I have paged through that very book, and it is focused on dog and cat nutrition. "Small Animal", in veterinary medicine, generally denotes dogs and cats.

If you run a small animal practice, you see dogs and cats. If you run a large animal/production animal practice, you see cows, sheep, horses, etc.
Okay, that thought had run through my head, but as you know, in the pet trade "Small Animal" pretty much means pocket pets. LOL.

Okay, that thought had run through my head, but as you know, in the pet trade "Small Animal" pretty much means pocket pets. LOL.
Haha, I know! It gets so confusing - at school a "Small Animal" is a dog or cat, and at work, a "Small Animal" is a mouse/hamster/rabbit/etc.

In my experience, in veterinary medicine, mice/hamsters/rats/rabbits/etc are referred to as "pocket pets" - for example, we have a class titled "Care of Pocket Pets" :lol-sign:

Members online