Raw Eggs

SaraB

I feed raw eggs 1-2 times a week. Shell and all... but of course my dogs pick around the dang shell, but that's another story.

I would feed Crystal eggs, maybe one-two a week, if she didn't have gas whenever we did. So no more eggs for her!

JacksonsMom

Interesting thread. Thanks for all the info.

Yup, Jackson is a smaller guy, at 16lbs. I wouldn't want to feed more than 1 a week. Maybe I'll do it every other week.

Is there a difference between cooking them vs. feeding them raw? Or would they still have the "benefits"? I know whenever I make eggs (scrambled), I always made Jackson some too. But I didn't know if it may be more beneficial to feed raw or not, or if I should just continue giving him a scrambled egg whenever I have them. He's never gotten gas or upset stomach from them thankfully.

Saeleofu

My dogs each gets a fresh whole raw egg straight from the chicken each day and they love it. Gavroche refuses to eat the shells but the shell is Logan's favorite part.

monkeys23

I'll admit I didn't read the whole thread, but even when I fed kibble I would give them whole raw eggs fairly often. They really like them and they are so good for them. :)

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Interesting thread. Thanks for all the info.

Yup, Jackson is a smaller guy, at 16lbs. I wouldn't want to feed more than 1 a week. Maybe I'll do it every other week.

Is there a difference between cooking them vs. feeding them raw? Or would they still have the "benefits"? I know whenever I make eggs (scrambled), I always made Jackson some too. But I didn't know if it may be more beneficial to feed raw or not, or if I should just continue giving him a scrambled egg whenever I have them. He's never gotten gas or upset stomach from them thankfully.
I would think it would change the nutrition, like cooking pretty much anything else does. But how much I don't know. To be safe, unless its a treat I would just continue to feed raw.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Raw egg white is high in avidin, and can cause vit. B deficiency. The yolk is pretty high in biotin which supposedly counteracts it.

Cooking does change the amino acid profile, and destroys the avidin. Personally, I feel that variety is healthy and like to vary whether their eggs are cooked or raw so they get a wider variety of nutrients.

Xandra

I have hens so feed eggs frequently. Anything that is shat upon or that I've left out for some reason is Roman's. Sometimes I hide them all over the yard for an egg hunt lol :)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Raw egg white is high in avidin, and can cause vit. B deficiency. The yolk is pretty high in biotin which supposedly counteracts it.

Cooking does change the amino acid profile, and destroys the avidin. Personally, I feel that variety is healthy and like to vary whether their eggs are cooked or raw so they get a wider variety of nutrients.
Yep. For Jackson's size, if I gave more than one egg a week, I'd cook the rest

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My dogs only get farts/digestive upset if I cook the eggs. Idk why! Well, Fozzie never farts because he's magical. :) So... I never cook them, unless I give them a bite of my scrambled eggs.

I feed eggs a few times a week. As long as eggs are not a staple in the dog's diet, I wouldn't worry about biotin. If you're feeding them half their meals in eggs it might create a problem. But a few a week will help their skin and coat immensely, and shouldn't cause any issues. Free range eggs are much healthier! I buy them for myself anyway.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mine get maybe 1-2 eggs/each/week. Plus leftover omelet on the weekend if I don't finish mine.

I give them whole, uncracked. They all have their own styles...Mira will crack hers over her bowl then eat the mess. Kim cracks them in her mouth and eats it like that, often managing this without spilling a drop even hitting the ground.

Webster was the funniest...the first time I gave him a raw egg he couldn't figure out how to open it...he knew it was food but it was locked away...pushed it around until it fell off the deck and onto the cement below (this was about 4 houses ago). He ran down the stairs and ate his smashed bounty. So for the next six months or so...you guessed it...he would pick up his egg and drop it off the edge of the deck then run down and eat it...lol

Romy

Taxiderpy
My dogs only get farts/digestive upset if I cook the eggs. Idk why! Well, Fozzie never farts because he's magical. :) So... I never cook them, unless I give them a bite of my scrambled eggs.
This is a faerie steed you're talking about! Of course he's magical! :rofl1:

Aleron

All dogs here get whole raw eggs and always have, even when we fed kibble. Pup just got the last egg in the house today on his breakfast :) I don't give mine the shell though because none of them will eat it. It's best if you can get eggs from a farm because those eggs provide a lot more nutrients than the cheap, commercial eggs. That goes for people too :)

monkeys23

Yeah we get homegrown eggs from a lady who works for my mom and lives near them. She raises batches of fryers and we buy the chicken we eat from her too. :)

I need more puppeh pics. ;) :p

Aleron

I get tipped in eggs by a client at work LOL

Yeah we get homegrown eggs from a lady who works for my mom and lives near them. She raises batches of fryers and we buy the chicken we eat from her too. :)

I need more puppeh pics. ;) :p
Ok I will work on that ;) Today is totally rockin' PyrShep ears. They have been up soooooo nice and now this LOL

He got hurt a couple days ago, not sure how but he had a sore shoulder, so poor guy has been on crate rest. He was soooo very sad that his shoulder hurt, ruined his whole life. He laid on my lap and cried and snuggled and looks so sad. He's feeling much better today and is back to his happy self :)

CaliTerp07

Webster was the funniest...the first time I gave him a raw egg he couldn't figure out how to open it...he knew it was food but it was locked away...pushed it around until it fell off the deck and onto the cement below (this was about 4 houses ago). He ran down the stairs and ate his smashed bounty. So for the next six months or so...you guessed it...he would pick up his egg and drop it off the edge of the deck then run down and eat it...lol
That's awesome!

monkeys23

I get tipped in eggs by a client at work LOL

Ok I will work on that ;) Today is totally rockin' PyrShep ears. They have been up soooooo nice and now this LOL

He got hurt a couple days ago, not sure how but he had a sore shoulder, so poor guy has been on crate rest. He was soooo very sad that his shoulder hurt, ruined his whole life. He laid on my lap and cried and snuggled and looks so sad. He's feeling much better today and is back to his happy self :)
Yay! Oh that is funny! I think they are so cute when they first go all the way up and are kind of leaning on each other lol.

Aww poor little dude. That just sounds uber sad lol. Glad he's back to his cheerful self. :)

I Think Raw Eggs are Good for All Dogs, Raw Diet or Not

I have to be honest, I've never noticed any significant difference in her skin or her coat from it, however, she's always had a nice shiny coat I think for other reasons (coconut oil in her food, home cooked grub sometimes etc.).

I think though that eggs are good for them just like they're good for us. They are a vitamin packed food. I don't feed her raw other than an egg every week. I'm not against raw or anything, I just haven't done enough research to know how to go about it or how to do it safely. My dad taught me about the raw egg thing, and I have always done it with my dogs, even before raw feeding was popular.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have to be honest, I've never noticed any significant difference in her skin or her coat from it, however, she's always had a nice shiny coat I think for other reasons (coconut oil in her food, home cooked grub sometimes etc.).

I think though that eggs are good for them just like they're good for us. They are a vitamin packed food. I don't feed her raw other than an egg every week. I'm not against raw or anything, I just haven't done enough research to know how to go about it or how to do it safely. My dad taught me about the raw egg thing, and I have always done it with my dogs, even before raw feeding was popular.
But... if you've always done it, how do you know it's not making a difference?

Members online