Future breeds

Catsi

Hi,

I would love to get some ideas about potentially suitable breeds for the future. I am not even close to getting another dog right now, but it's never too early to research.

I have a handful of breeds I am very interested in. These are Papillon, Mini Poodle, Swedish Vallhund, German-Shorthaired Pointer, Hungarian Vizsla and Brittany. As you can see they are not very similar breeds overall.

I am looking for -

A generally healthy and long-lived breed.

An active and athletic breed. I am hoping to train in agility and possible other dog sports, so I do not want an overally solid or bulky dog.

Intelligence. I don't mind a challenge, but I want a dog that is high in trainability.

I am pretty flexible in personality preferences. I love calm, sweet dogs but also spunky, cheeky dogs. An independent streak is fine too.

I want a dog that enjoys their exercise - walk/jog/hike/play and training.

I want a dog that will enjoy being in the house with me when I am home. Curled up on the bed, couch or at my feet.

I want a breed that has a good chance of being confident and happy around other dogs and people.

I want a dog that, when giving enough exercise, training, stimulation and interaction, will be ok with being home alone (mostly likely with another dog) during basic work hours. I have to work to live, but I certainly don't live to work!

I love the idea of a 'wash and wear' low maintenance coat, however I will not discount a breed purely based on grooming needs. It may not be pretty, but I can learn and I would be willing to pay for professional grooming as is necessary.

Any suggestions or information about the breeds mentioned would be appreciated.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Pap could definitely fit the bill. If you have any specific questions just ask! :) Some aren't exactly fond of other dogs. My boys are a lot lot better with other dogs than my girls. They all love their friends but don't exactly welcome new dogs. Other than that they fit the bill perfectly. Smart, lively, athletic, and easy grooming.

rubysoho

I've heard good things about the GSPs, Vizsla and Brittanys.

I am looking for a good breed for agility as well. Nothing too serious (no plans for competition). However, as a result, I am placing a strong importance on healthy hips and not too heavy of a shoulder. Breeds I am considering (no particular order other than the Chessies are my favorite so far)...

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
Dobermans
Aussies
Flat Coated Retrievers
Pitties
Rotties
Brittanys
GSPs
Duck Tolling Retriever

I also want a dog with a bit of size for when I am hiking alone (not because I want them for protection, more just the deterrent).

Good luck!

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'll say it again. You're describing a wirehaired pointing griffon down to a T. Every single trait you listed is a strong point for the breed. They are still a working breed, there isn't a split between show dogs and working dogs (yet) and so far they seem to be out of the hands of BYBers, so their health is extremely good, with most having the right drives intact.

Some other traits about them I really enjoy:

They are close working. This means they haven't been bred to run a mile out from you to find birds like brittany's and GSPs have. Honestly, we never bothered training a recall into Charlie. His is built in. I had never seen anything like it until we got him. He will shoot out in a 100 foot radius MAX when we're off leash, and that's only if a good scent catches him. Otherwise it's more like 30 feet. The instant he hits that invisible boundary, he will turn around and check back in with us. Most of our hikes he spends off leash running back and forth between the invisible boundary and us, looking for birds. Yet he isn't annoyingly clingy or anything. He loves being with us, but won't freak out or be depressed if he's by himself.

Their coats are extremely easy grooming. Just brush the dirt out when they dry off.

He would be an amazing agility dog. Charlie weighs 55 lbs. lean. They are nice and balanced with medium bone, made to be able to trot and run in the brush for hours at a time daily. He fetches sticks up and down sheer cliffs and jumps into the ocean every day. My SIL has a border collie she does agility with, and their is a griff in their class who is always at the top of the class.

All of the brittanys and GSPs I have personally met didn't have very good off switches. They had a hard time calming down to snuggle at the end of the day, even with acres to run on. Griffs are active and do need exercise, but they love to curl up in front of the tv with you at the end of the day.

He makes a good deterrent. His bark is giant, and for some reason the yellow eyes really freak people out. He likes people, but if someone makes him suspicious he will act standoffish and bark. He definitely has a protective streak, even if it only means he will put on a show. My borzois are just love schmoos with everyone. :rolleyes:

Catsi

Oh wow...

Charlie is stunning. I have a soft spot a scruffy face. (I love the Spinone, but worried about their larger build. Completely different of course, but the scruffy face is just handsome!).

But I can see why they would be a deterrent too. A protective streak is always appreciated.

People have told me about the Brittany and GSP having the trait of working away from you and, to be honest, I would prefer a breed that didn't run too far without 'checking in'. Also, an off switch is great... I would prefer a couch loving dog in the evenings, rather than one that is acting like it could run another 50 miles. :lol-sign:

Are they considered a utility gundog? I have never seen the breed until today. I am in Australia, so I will have to check out if there are any in the country.

What is their coat like to touch, I am curious. It looks nice and wirey, easy to get out dirt!

Thanks Romy!

Laurelin, how do you think paps would go by themselves (or prehaps with another canine companion) 9-5? With adequate exercise, mental stimulation and interaction?

I don't mind if my dog isn't very interested in playing with other dogs. It is more just a general tolerance of dogs and just trying to avoid a tendency towards dog aggression.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Laurelin, how do you think paps would go by themselves (or prehaps with another canine companion) 9-5? With adequate exercise, mental stimulation and interaction?
With good interaction and exercise daily they should be fine. One of mine does have SA but the rest are okay. They are very social dogs though and do enjoy canine company. My dad's three are left alone 9-5 daily and are just fine.

I'll say it again. You're describing a wirehaired pointing griffon down to a T. Every single trait you listed is a strong point for the breed. They are still a working breed, there isn't a split between show dogs and working dogs (yet) and so far they seem to be out of the hands of BYBers, so their health is extremely good, with most having the right drives intact.

Some other traits about them I really enjoy:

They are close working. This means they haven't been bred to run a mile out from you to find birds like brittany's and GSPs have. Honestly, we never bothered training a recall into Charlie. His is built in. I had never seen anything like it until we got him. He will shoot out in a 100 foot radius MAX when we're off leash, and that's only if a good scent catches him. Otherwise it's more like 30 feet. The instant he hits that invisible boundary, he will turn around and check back in with us. Most of our hikes he spends off leash running back and forth between the invisible boundary and us, looking for birds. Yet he isn't annoyingly clingy or anything. He loves being with us, but won't freak out or be depressed if he's by himself.

Their coats are extremely easy grooming. Just brush the dirt out when they dry off.

He would be an amazing agility dog. Charlie weighs 55 lbs. lean. They are nice and balanced with medium bone, made to be able to trot and run in the brush for hours at a time daily. He fetches sticks up and down sheer cliffs and jumps into the ocean every day. My SIL has a border collie she does agility with, and their is a griff in their class who is always at the top of the class.

All of the brittanys and GSPs I have personally met didn't have very good off switches. They had a hard time calming down to snuggle at the end of the day, even with acres to run on. Griffs are active and do need exercise, but they love to curl up in front of the tv with you at the end of the day.

He makes a good deterrent. His bark is giant, and for some reason the yellow eyes really freak people out. He likes people, but if someone makes him suspicious he will act standoffish and bark. He definitely has a protective streak, even if it only means he will put on a show. My borzois are just love schmoos with everyone. :rolleyes:
Hey, in describing Charlie you just described my wash-n-wear, off switch having GSPs! Well, except my GSPs have never met a stranger and don't have a protective streak. Though one will bark at strangers that come in my backyard.

There are close working boot lickers and over the horizon GSPs, just find the right breeder.

Oh wow...

Charlie is stunning. I have a soft spot a scruffy face. (I love the Spinone, but worried about their larger build. Completely different of course, but the scruffy face is just handsome!).

But I can see why they would be a deterrent too. A protective streak is always appreciated.

People have told me about the Brittany and GSP having the trait of working away from you and, to be honest, I would prefer a breed that didn't run too far without 'checking in'. Also, an off switch is great... I would prefer a couch loving dog in the evenings, rather than one that is acting like it could run another 50 miles. :lol-sign:

Are they considered a utility gundog? I have never seen the breed until today. I am in Australia, so I will have to check out if there are any in the country.

What is their coat like to touch, I am curious. It looks nice and wirey, easy to get out dirt!

Thanks Romy!
Pointers should work away from you...they're pointers lol.

Find a breeder that breeds close working dogs regardless of the breed you get (if you get a sporting breed). They should also be able to alter their range to the terrain. Mine can be in dense terrain out of sight and still come back on a whistle.

Also, you get out of your dog what you put in it ;) So spend a lot of time with your dog, whether it be just hanging out or training. A good bond with them is priceless.

Catsi

Thanks Laurelin.
Thanks Happyhound. I'll certainly be doing my breed and breeder research. I do like the sound of closer working dogs, although I do realise that pointers are meant to work away lol. I just didn't word it very well. I know they are always going to have that natural trait.

How do you guys find your gundogs to train? Edit - What are their quirks?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.