Dreadlocks behind ears?

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I need some help for my dog. She has long ears with fur all around them. She will get dreadlocks behind them regularly. You can't see them, but you can feel them when you rub her ears. I have tried cutting them, but I can't get it all the way off cause I am afraid I am gonna cut her skin. :dunno:

I nicked her once and she started to bleed a little, I felt really bad and I have been really cautious lately.

Help please?? Thanks sooo much.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Cut into the mat vertically instead of horizontally into thin small strips that will allow you to seperate the loose hair from the rooted hair. Skin can corkscrew up into those mats and it is easy to cut the dog. ONce you get it completely gone...brush regularly so they do not form again.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Cut them out, and ensure you brush the fur daily to stop it happening again!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I dematted a cat once where it was so tight against the skin I was frantic. I washed the cat first and that seemed to help ease it a microbit away from the skin. I used a very sharp pair of scissors and cut literally a hair or a few at a time until the mat came loose.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
first, cut them off as much as you can, then get a good brush (pin brush, slicker etc..) and brush her ears everyday. that will help a lot with mats :)

Athebeau

How did you make out? If the mats were solid it would almost be best to have the mats shaved out. If they are not tight mats I perfer thinning shears to thin out the mat then brush out (line brush) and hold the fur closest to the skin so you don't pull. Keep in mind that once cut, thinned or shaved out the area will be more prone to matting so you will need to keep on top of it.

Members online

No members online now.