So Frustrated!!!

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
Okay, I'm fighting my boyfriend on this issue. I want to spay Raika and he doesn't. He says that eventually he may breed her. He's not a dog breeder and I don't know how I can get him to realize how important this is!! :mad: I want her to live a healthy life, I don't want to have to worry about her getting humped in the back yard if I go inside for a few minutes!!! I think I'm just going to offer to pay for it and see if that works. I'm also going to get info from the vet tomorrow when we go for her final round of shots. Hopefully he'll say something that will help me talk Steve into it.

Good for you! Maybe getting the vet to give you a list of the costs involved in testing and veterinary care for a dam and a litter of pups through 8 to 12 weeks will help change his mind.

S

stirder

wether or not she should be bred depends on her health, temperament, bloodlines and working/show titles. and yes every breeder had to start somewhere, they werent born experienced in breeding, however the good ones spent years researching and practically shadowing the every move of other good breeders. and typically a good breeder never bred untill their 2nd or 3rd (or later) dog. tell him that to get her titled (I assume we are talking about the little gsd in your avatar?) in schutzhund takes at least 2-3 years of almost daily work with her and a club trainer. conformation takes at least 2 years to get titled worthy of breeding. herding etc atleast 2 years. its a lot of work to get titles in anything to the point that a dog is proven to be breeding quality. then there are the health tests, Id say average of about $1,000? maybe 2 or 3? then to raise the pups from conception to 8-9 weeks of age...someone has to be with the litter and ***** 24 hours a day, you have to buy a whelping box, the ***** will not hold the pups in untill a convenient time of day...they will be born when it is time and that could be at noon while hes at work, or at 3 in the morning while hes sleeping. there are all the vet checks and shots, and tons of other things. a good gsd breeder will pay an average of $10,000 on everything required for caring for the pregnant ***** (including the health tests), and the puppies before they go to homes. and can expect to make an average of $4,000. if you have a very desirable bloodline (both sides) and good titles in both working and conformation you might get a total of $8,000. but nearly all of the top gsd breeders lose money in breeding. they do it for the love of the breed, and to improve the breed.

showpug

stirder said:
wether or not she should be bred depends on her health, temperament, bloodlines and working/show titles. and yes every breeder had to start somewhere, they werent born experienced in breeding, however the good ones spent years researching and practically shadowing the every move of other good breeders. and typically a good breeder never bred untill their 2nd or 3rd (or later) dog. tell him that to get her titled (I assume we are talking about the little gsd in your avatar?) in schutzhund takes at least 2-3 years of almost daily work with her and a club trainer. conformation takes at least 2 years to get titled worthy of breeding. herding etc atleast 2 years. its a lot of work to get titles in anything to the point that a dog is proven to be breeding quality. then there are the health tests, Id say average of about $1,000? maybe 2 or 3? then to raise the pups from conception to 8-9 weeks of age...someone has to be with the litter and ***** 24 hours a day, you have to buy a whelping box, the ***** will not hold the pups in untill a convenient time of day...they will be born when it is time and that could be at noon while hes at work, or at 3 in the morning while hes sleeping. there are all the vet checks and shots, and tons of other things. a good gsd breeder will pay an average of $10,000 on everything required for caring for the pregnant ***** (including the health tests), and the puppies before they go to homes. and can expect to make an average of $4,000. if you have a very desirable bloodline (both sides) and good titles in both working and conformation you might get a total of $8,000. but nearly all of the top gsd breeders lose money in breeding. they do it for the love of the breed, and to improve the breed.
I second that!

Stick to your guns and maybe get your boyfriend to read these, it may help!
http://www.ssrr.org/Articles/to_breed_or_not_to_breed.htm
http://www.healthy-dogs.net/whentobreed.htm

Just remember, it is her BOYfriend . . . you know how that works, you have to give them just enough critical information (like cost or risk to your dog) from an outside, neutral source for them to come around to the conclusion and be able to think it's their own idea . . . ;)

showpug

Renee750il said:
Just remember, it is her BOYfriend . . . you know how that works, you have to give them just enough critical information (like cost or risk to your dog) from an outside, neutral source for them to come around to the conclusion and be able to think it's their own idea . . . ;)
TRUE....but, when the vets in the clinic I worked for would recommend a spay or neuter it rarely would change the minds of the BOYfriends LOL!!

On another note, this whole breeding concept may change once she bleeds all over his "stuff" LOL!! :D

bubbatd

I agree...it's not a case of " maybe it would be fun to breed someday " It takes so much time, money and dedication. I bet you'd be doing all the work too !

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
EXACTLY bubbatd!!! I know I'd be doing all the work. Since we got the dog that HE wanted, I've taken her for a walk every night without him because he's tired from work. I am the one who goes outside in the rain with her, I am the one that has given her baths, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Raika, but he's just not doing his part. This has made me think twice about ever having children with him!! LOL...thanks for the websites...I'll make sure to drop info into our conversations.

Fran27

I hear you about the comment about children. I love my husband but sometimes I wonder myself LOL.

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
Okay I think I won the battle. We got into a "heated" discussion last night and he said if I pay for it and "give him back the extra $100 he paid to have her fully registered" than I could have her spayed. I'm willing to do whatever. He knows I don't have money laying around, so I think he'll soften on that. I also want her to go to puppy school. My boss takes her dog to a place that's only $80 for 10 sessions!! That's sooo worth it. I'm going to enroll Raika when she's old enough...when IS she old enough?

Doberluv

Did you buy this dog together or did one of you buy her? Anyhow, good. He sounds like a nit picker, making you pay him back the $100.00. Geeeez! He wouldn't be my bf very long. I probably would have gone and spayed her and not said a word. LOL. Oh well, this too shall pass. (I hope)

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
No, he bought her so technically she's HIS dog even though he has yet to take her on one walk. I do everything with her and because of that she's taken to me more. I really don't think he was serious about the $100...he was just annoyed that I was pushing getting her spayed. I think deep down he knows it's for the best. I'm just going to schedule it and pay for it. It's worth it to me.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'd say go ahead and get her spayed. If he can't summon enough interest in this dog now when she's a cute, floppy puppy, I'm betting there's no way he's going to be up to doing all the required things stirder listed when it comes to breeding her.

M

Manchesters

Money

Raika's Mom said:
No, he bought her so technically she's HIS dog even though he has yet to take her on one walk. I do everything with her and because of that she's taken to me more. I really don't think he was serious about the $100...he was just annoyed that I was pushing getting her spayed. I think deep down he knows it's for the best. I'm just going to schedule it and pay for it. It's worth it to me.
Explain to him that most states now have laws protecting puppy buyers, and that if any of the pups he breeds and sells end up having hip dysplasia, he will be financially liable for any and all expenses related to the HD. It is a heriditary (WISH I COULD SPELL THAT WORD, roflmbo!!) defect. 5 or 6 puppies with HD and he could end up broke for the rest of his life. Tell him I look forward to seeing him either on Judge Judy, or with Marilyn Miline!!

filarotten

Fila the love
Being a wife I can only say, if he is being more reasonable lately, Get it while the getting is good. CAll your vet now!

Members online

No members online now.