A Man Among Wolves - Anybody see this?

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
on National Geographic Channel last night. This guy lives with the wolves and lives AS a wolf. He growls at them, bites them, gets bitten by them, eats what they eat, etc. It was really interesting.

Delve into the unique story of a maverick researcher named Shaun Ellis who raises abandoned wolf cubs and teaches them by example how to survive in the wild. In A Man Among Wolves, see how Shaun has given up everything to take a daring and unorthodox approach to understanding wolves’ every move—living and behaving like them, howling, licking, and snarling like them, even eating carcass meat like them. This one-hour special documents this man’s incredible journey to better grasp the complex nature of wolf society by immersing himself in their world as their accepted leader. It is a curious study that provides Shaun with one-of-a-kind insight into this feared predator
I believe it is going to be on again tonight.

*Amy*

Wow, he must be nuts! Don't the wolves notice he's not a wolf? Sounds like it'd be interesting to watch.

mantine

This show was on a couple months ago, I watched it, it was very interesting. That guy has pretty much given up his life and family to work with the wolf pups and get them ready to be sent back into the wild. I think he has been living with them for the last 2 years.

He wears the same clothes everytime he goes in there (they have never been washed) so he smells the same when he leaves and goes back.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
And he is never away for more than a couple hours, except when he left for a few weeks for his research and when he came back, he was no longer the alpha "dog".

DanL

I saw the preview, I thought it looked stupid!

Now just before that came on, there was another show that was looking into differences between wolves and domestic dogs- VERY cool. The would let the wolves and dogs do problem solving exercises- like a piece of meat tied to a rope inside a cage. The wolf would keep trying to get it. The dog gave up and would look to it's human to help. The theory was that as dogs became domesticated, their way of thinking changed to the point that they need people to help them.

Emmalee

I saw this last night.. interesting but the guy is nuts.

At the end of the show, it said something like he left or lost his family to become part of the wolf family. Makes me wonder if he had a wife and children and if he really left them to be part of the wolf family? Crazy guy.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I saw this last night.. interesting but the guy is nuts.

At the end of the show, it said something like he left or lost his family to become part of the wolf family. Makes me wonder if he had a wife and children and if he really left them to be part of the wolf family? Crazy guy.
I wondered that too. I wasn't sure if they were saying he left a wife and kids or if it just meant that he was away from parents/siblings, etc. I guess I assumed the latter.

Emmalee

that is the damndest thing I have ever seen. especially when he eats the carcass meat.
Oh that was gross :yikes:

It's not going to be fun for him when those wolves have had enough of him and decided to charge at him.. lol.. wonder if they'll do a show about that :popcorn:

Members online

No members online now.