How to deal with the ignorance of others?!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Kathy74 said:
A few months ago, I was doing a lady's hair and, knowing I had big dogs, she proceeded to tell me that all big dogs should be banned as only small dogs can be trusted. !
I'd have taken revenge on her hair where she couldn't see it!! :D ;)

Such small minded people! I'm sure they'd have alot to say if you said their children should be banned because they're dangerous!! :D

Adrienne

Boy can I relate. Up until very recently I owned two APBT's. Jedi, who is no longer with us, was the sweetest Pit you could ever want to meet. I would bring him to PetCo and he would make sure to say Hi to everyone. But I remember this one time especially. A little girl of seven or so was petting Jedi as he was sitting there happily soaking it up. Her dad came over and asked what kind of dog he was...Proudly I replied he is an APBT. The dad grabbed his daughters hand and walked away without another word. There have been numerous occasions where I am asked why I would own a dangerous dog like that, especially since I have two small children. My answer is they are no more dangerous than any animal you would have in your home. With proper training, socializing, and a good relationship with their owner all these so called "bad breeds" are wonderful companion animals. It is the small dogs that people spoil that cause the most bites. I then let them know that on a list of 100 breeds of dogs most likely to bite APBT's are fourth, from the bottom! Number one is a Cocker Spaniel. (Not stepping on anyones toes, small dogs are wonderful too when trained properly just the same as big dogs.)

Do your research and when people ask present it to them in a non-confrontational manner. Maybe you will change some minds, I know I have.

maui

The funny thing is we don't have a pit, or a large "alledged dangerous" dog, but he is an obvious mutt. We have the same thing happen. The cupped hand with the whisper, followed by them just walking away. Generally these people have a pure bred tiny thing. I'm wondering if they think through osmosis my neutered mixed breed will rub a spot on to their precious coat. It's happened at the pet store a few times. I've always wondered why.

?

mrose_s

BusterLove
sorry to hear about that

what breed are your "big black dogs" they look very nice in your aviator

we have a big dog, very big, we tookk her to a primary school asembly (because she LOVES kids) and one woman walked past, and hauled her child aside, even tho sophie didnt even look up, y would we bring a dangerous dog to a school assembly

i like bigger dogs better, i like to play rougher with them and have the extra protection. plus they are usually better tempered anyway

I've heard that Chihuahuas are the breed that bite most....not pits, rotties, or dobies, or GSDs. In Massachussets (sp?), two breeds that bite most are the Labrador and Golden.

Kathy74

Serene is labxpointer, Jersey is labx?!?!, no one knows as both her parents were mixed and no one ever caught the father to get a close enough look at him! A few people have asked if she has pitt in her because of some of her features, and asked if that worries us. I always say if my Bugaboo has pitt in her, then it PROVES they're not aggressive by nature, b/c I don't think you could get her to bite you no matter how hard you tried!
This makes them each special in a different way. Serene was my first dog ever, Jersey was my first puppy ever, and Marlee is my first purebred ever!

Valkie

puppy mom
I'm more worried about getting bit by a little dog than a big one. From my experience, owners don't seem to care about socializing their little dogs and much as owners of big dogs.

When I was working in the groomers, it was the toy poodles and the cocker spanials that we watched out for!

Doberluv

I totally get where you are coming from. I grew up with a Doberman. She was the sweetest dogs around. She was also a little bit psychic. She knew when someone didn't like me, or the family. So, to them it was, "How can you have that mean dog?" But we knew she was warning her pack of their true colors.
Wow! I can relate to that. Lyric seems psychic that way too. Some people he's so comfortable with right off the bat and some he stands back and assesses for a while before making any commitment to be friends. He's reserved around most strangers, but never ever aggressive or nasty. That's correct Doberman temperament though....to be reserved and a little suspicious of strangers.

I had one aquaintence say to me when Lyric was a new pup..."You'll have to watch out that he doesn't lash out at someone when he's older." I'll never forget those words. The other day he asked me how my Doberman was turning out. (This is almost 2 yrs. later) I reminded him of what he said to me and informed him that Lyric is a sweet, well mannered dog and very, very use to all kinds of people, that he is turning out super. I take him anywhere and everywhere with me and he's always a real gentleman.

Yup...people can make me crazy sometimes. My Dad is also so stubborn and even though Lyric rested his chin on my Dad's forearm, looking up at him, lovingly, with his ears back in that affectionate way they do when he was on the computer, my Dad still said, "I just don't like Dobermans. You can't trust them." But he was patting him on the head and saying, "hello boy." LOL. (stubborn German!)

Ok....so now onto the Chihuahuas. Eh-hem! I'm coming to their defence. My Chihuahuas are completely 180 degrees away from being nasty or snappy. They love everyone. They are so enthralled with meeting new people that they couldn't care less about sitting on my lap. They lick everyone and beg to be picked up. Chulita's tail, when on full throttle looks like two tails. She is the most cheerful, affectionate little tike I ever knew. And Jose is full of charm and character, sweetness, and love. And that is given freely to anyone within his reach. They have NOT ONCE shown one iota of aggression to anyone.

I've known big dogs, medium dog and small dogs of various breeds who weren't well handled and who weren't of the best character. I believe there are certain tendencies in various breeds depending on their job that they were bred for, but if people would educate themselves on their breed before getting it and handling it right, there wouldn't be so many dog bites. Sooooo many people get dogs and don't have a clue about anything to do with dogs. I think a Doberman may be more apt to make a boo boo in his assessment and bite someone in the name of protecting than say...a Lab. A Lab wasn't bred for protection and has no real use for biting....other than plain ole dog behavior. They were bred to work closely with people and have very little added protection instincts. Of course this is a generalization. I'm just saying breed wise.......Then there are Chihuahuas. They were bred for companionship. They are small and perhaps some little dogs are worried about getting hurt and so are a little on the defensive side, but mine don't strike out if they're afraid of being stepped on. They just watch out for everything and move quickly. LOL. People need to socialize their dogs. It doesn't matter what breed. And it's true, so many spoil those toy breeds, treat them like non-dogs.

i like bigger dogs better, i like to play rougher with them and have the extra protection. plus they are usually better tempered anyway
So, Mrose....don't give me any **** about big dogs being better tempered. Temperament has very little, if anything to do with size. It has to do with breeding, socialization, training and general, good handling. I know many people with toy breeds and their dogs also have LOVELY TEMPERAMENTS.

The bit about Labs and Goldens making the most bites is a misconception. The statistics from the studies that were done were very unscientifically carried out. They are vastly popular dogs....the highest, by far on the AKC registrations as well as unregistered. Labs have been for over 11 years. So, naturally, the number of bites from Labs will coincide with their number population wise.

At any rate, if a Chihuahua or toy Poodle bites, the damage caused is likely to be far, far less than a large dog's bite. Let's face it. Those little mouths can't possibly rip you apart like a big Doberman's teeth. They can't knock you down onto the floor and tear your throat out either.

People need to treat their dogs....any breed like dogs, not little porcelin dolls. I have seen people spoil their toy breeds and even their larger breeds, like give them their own way about everything...let them call the shots...act tentative around them. No wonder. G-r-r-r. And then the general, non - dog wise laymen, start saying that this breed or that breed is "better tempered" than another. Or that Pitbulls, Rottweilers, GSD's or Dobermans, Chihuahuas are untrustworthy, mean dogs. Ugggggg.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Doberluv said:
So, Mrose....don't give me any **** about big dogs being better tempered. Temperament has very little, if anything to do with size. It has to do with breeding, socialization, training and general, good handling. I know many people with toy breeds and their dogs also have LOVELY TEMPERAMENTS.

I didnt mean it like that, but it seems to me that big dogs are more tolerant, we have a big, little and medium sized dogs and they are all different, i did not say all big dogs were harmless or all small dogs will bite. But the big typically "dopey" breeds just seem more tolerant. as a whole, but any dog can be vicous and it does depend on how they are treated

Doberluv

I know Mrose. And I was saying that, not in a mean or angry way, but a smart alec, giggling way. You can't see my face or hear my voice on the Internet. And I know what you mean about tolerance. The big dogs aren't as worried about getting stepped on or bashed into. But when the little dogs are exposed to all kinds of things and treated so they don't get hurt, they aren't too worried either.

I use to take my Chihuahuas to the local tavern/resteraunt all the time. This is a small community and everyone loves dogs here. People would hold Chulita on their lap and she'd get passed around, given whip cream off of coffee drinks right out of peoples' mugs. (hopefully she didn't get much Kaluhah.) When I'd take her and set her on the ground outside of the car, she'd make a bee line so fast, she was a blur... for the door and then I'd open it and she'd make another bee line to the back of the room and go right up to people without one second of hesitation. She'd start pawing and licking...."pick me up. I want to kiss you." LOL....so friendly and unworried about anything. (talk about spoiled, but in a good way) I took all my dogs there, in fact. When my Dobe was brand new at 9 weeks, he could sit on my lap at the bar. Boy, did he ever get lots of attention. I can't hold him on my lap anymore on a bar stool. He's about 95 LBS of pure muscle and his head comes up to my waist. LOL.

Kathy74 said:
Okay, I'm used to being known as "the lady with the big black dogs" and I've had to explain to MANY people that they are not mean just b/c they are big and black!

I sympathize. My latest dog is a (beautiful) mix of colors, but unless she's standing in brilliant sunlight that brings out her silver guard hairs, she looks dark and people respond much more cautiously to her than they did to her predecessors, who were white/cream in color. I'm actually relieved - after years spent trying to dissuade people from petting one white, cuddly terrier mix who DID NOT like being approached, a little caution from strangers is welcome. When people are hesitant, be patient - after all, they don't know your dog and it's just sensible to be cautious around large dogs. When they're rude, just shake your head. And remember, dogs who look harmless or cute also have a tough time - total strangers frequently just pounce on them without any manners at all.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Kathy74 said:
Its hard b/c these comments are usually made in the salon, where you can't tell a client how stupid they sound!! It seems so odd that so many people are "warning" me of owning the most passive dog I've ever met!! I try to be very considerate of the one neighbor that is close by...If the girls start barking, it's time to come in.
Ahh the joys of living in a small town! Someone adopted a pitt mix a couple of months ago, and the whole town knew within days that there was a pitt bull in town! The girls and I have been charged by a sheltie, a poodle, and another small mixed breed while walking, but WE'RE the bad ones b/c we have big dogs! HMMMMM....My dogs are always on leash or within a fence, not charging people walking down the street!
I know exactly how you feel. I have a pit bull, and she is the nicest, sweetest dog I've ever had. I can't take her walking down our street, because other people let their chihuahuas and other little dogs run around outside by theirselves. My nephew and I have even had a few of these dogs chase us while we are trying to walk to the park.

Members online

No members online now.