nova scotia duck tolling retriever

My husband and I are looking to obtaina Toller puppy. We live in Ontario Canada and can't seem to find any breeders that are actually breeding this dog. Anybody know where I can find someone?

Does anybody out there have a Toller that wants to shed some light on the breed. We have done some research but we don't know anybody who owns one.

Thanks

Roxy's CD

I know a lady that breeds them at our dog school.

I try to get some contact info for you.

Whereabouts are you?

She's in Bobcaygeon, Ontario.

is her name Liz? I have spoken to her but she has said that she is looking for people who are going to use her pups for Sport. We just want a family pet. Thanks for your reply

Toller_08

I don't have a purebred (yet - I'll be getting mine in 2008 hopefully) but have loved the breed for 10+ years now and currently have a Toller mix :). I know of a couple reputable breeders in Ontario, and if I wasn't so far away (well, I'm in Alberta...so not really that far) I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get a dog from either breeder. I'm not sure if they currently have a litter or not. Also, if you're interested I know of a couple reputable breeders in and around the Alberta area :). Some breeders are willing to ship, though I'm not sure if mine will or not but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, if you have any breed specific questions I'm more than willing to try my best to answer them for you. I'm always ready to talk about Tollers! It's not very often I get the chance.

A couple really good breeders in Ontario are Elvebredd and Kylador, I've also met a couple dogs bred by Onepenny and they were very nice...I haven't talked to the breeder personally though. If you'd like, you can PM me and I can give you the names and sites of those breeders aswell as a few other ones near/in western Canada.

;) *Courtesy of Dogs in Canada*

Ardbrae Reg'd, Judy Tait. Family-raised puppies for temperament. Health-cleared parents. Guarantee. Stud service. 208 Haynes Rd, Castleton, ON K0K 1M0. (905-344-7093; e-mail: [email protected]).

Armachord Reg'd, Norma-Jean Campbell. Home of Top Dog 'Aida,' No 1 conformation bitch 2002! Family-raised, well-socialized puppies from health-cleared, versatile working parents who are also family pets. RR 4, St. Thomas, ON N5P 3S8. (519-633-4267; e-mail: [email protected]; web site: http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]).

Cody Stephen & Simone, Elvebredd Kennel. Dedicated to breeding a quality, multi-purpose Toller, for companion, show, obedience, hunting and therapy. Home-raised puppies selectively bred with temperament and health as priorities. All breeding stock hip/eye-cleared. Written guarantee. Inquiries and visitors welcome. Plantagenet, ON K0B 1L0. (613-673-2064; e-mail: [email protected]).

Dragonluck Reg'd, Dawn O'Leary & Judy Argue. Home-raised Tollers for conformation, obedience, field, pets. Hip-, eye-, heart-cleared parents. PRA/DNA-tested parents. Litters occasionally. Inquiries and visitors welcome. 6830 Fernbank Rd, Stittsville, ON K2S 1B6. (613-831-9961; e-mail: [email protected]).

Kylador Perm Reg'd, Lillian M Greensides. Multi-purpose, home-raised, guaranteed puppies. RR 4, Orangeville, ON L9W 2Z1. (519-938-9977; e-mail: [email protected]; web site: www.kyladorkennels.com).

Why are you waiting until 2008? If you know of some reputable breeders in Ontario I'd love to get their names. What does PM mean?

I gues in general I'm looking to find out any info that you feel you want to share. The good and the bad about the breed.

We do have two cats do you think that will be a problem for the Toller. I wouldn't want to ship a pup due to the stress that it can cause to the puppy.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Toller_08

scrapbookqueen said:
Why are you waiting until 2008? If you know of some reputable breeders in Ontario I'd love to get their names. What does PM mean?

I gues in general I'm looking to find out any info that you feel you want to share. The good and the bad about the breed.

We do have two cats do you think that will be a problem for the Toller. I wouldn't want to ship a pup due to the stress that it can cause to the puppy.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
I'm waiting until 2008 simply because I want to do more things as far as training and such goes with my current dog, before I bring home a puppy :). PM means private message, but since you're new and probably don't know how to use it it's probably easier just to use this thread. The two kennels I really like in Ontario are Kylador kennels (www.kylador.com) owned by Lillian Greensides in Orangeville, ON and then there is also Elvebredd kennels (who don't have a site but do have an e-mail address - [email protected] and a phone number - 613-673-2064). Elvebredd is located in Plantagenet, ON . Both breeders are very nice with beautiful dogs. I've heard DragonLuck is also a good kennel, but have never spoken with them so I'm not sure. It wouldn't hurt to check them out though. They also don't have a website but you can contact them at (613-831-9961 or by e-mail at [email protected]). There's also another kennel owned by Mairon Bennett under the name of OnePenny Reg'd. with very nice dogs, but again I've never spoken to her. I have met 2 dogs from her last breeding though and both were very nice. Her website is http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/

If you don't mind my asking, what are your reasonings for wanting a Toller?

They can be very good with cats, but as with any other dog, they do have a pretty high prey drive and I'd never trust one while unsupervised around a cat. Have you seen the top 10 reasons not to get a Toller yet? if not, here's a link to it as well as a link to the Ontario Toller club which will be able to help you find a great breeder also: http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/DoNOTBuy.html

There is also a lot of information just in that link about the Toller.

I take my mix for 2 jogs a day and one walk which also results in a run/romp/play/obedience practice session. Besides that, she's also going to be getting started in agility and hopefully Rally-Obedience and she also gets about 2 hours of retrieving each day as well. She also swims everyday in the summer. These are very, very active dogs. But, don't let my routine scare you away. Tango doesn't need ALL of the exercise I give to her, but she does benefit from it. A lot of Tollers are satisfied with a walk or two a day and just lots of playing and retrieving at home. At the moment, I really don't know what else to tell you that isn't already in the link I provided for you above. To me, there is no downfall to the breed (well, I could do without the scream but it's not too bad). They are everything I've ever wanted in a dog and I will always have one (or two, or three, or...ha-ha - I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this). They are absolutely wonderful for me, so I can't help you with the good/bad stuff really. But, like I said, if you have an specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer for you :). Good luck with your search and I hope you can find a Toller puppy soon!

Members online