The dog musing/vent thread

Saeleofu

For sale: one male Chesapeake Bay Retriever that pees on the floor when he is 1.) excited, 2.) getting ready to go outside, 3.) unable to hold his bladder because, you know, different control is needed for walking around than being in the crate, 4.) when I ask him to do something and he thinks he's in trouble even thougb I ask him in the same voice and tone that I have done since forever. And each time when said dog is let out to pee (way too often to avoid accidents on the floor) he decides mud is what he wants to run through, and then track it all over the livingroom. And then jump onto the couch. But you can't take him out on a leash, or he'll pee as you put it on him. Inside. All over the floor. Or if you try to put it on him outside, he'll pee all over your shoes and porch. Or if he's already peeing, stop peeing and then refuse to finish so you have to take him out .5 seconds after coming back inside.

He is living in his crate this evening. Oh my GOD. I really do not know how much more of this lack of bladder control I can take. Hes almost 8 months old, for crying out loud.
Honestly, it sounds more like submissive urination than anything else to me.

Slick

Kristina
New way to tire out a border collie:

Step 1: On a tennis court, put dog in Sit/Stay on one side of net.
Step 2: Go to other side of net. Say "Ok!"
Step 3: Sprint for your life around tennis net until border collie catches up/you
Step 4: Repeat

Fine Print: Tires human out more than dog.

We both had a blast! (Also, Leo is now dozing next to me, so that is a definite plus!)

Oko

Silence, peasants.
New way to tire out a border collie:

Step 1: On a tennis court, put dog in Sit/Stay on one side of net.
Step 2: Go to other side of net. Say "Ok!"
Step 3: Sprint for your life around tennis net until border collie catches up/you
Step 4: Repeat

Fine Print: Tires human out more than dog.

We both had a blast! (Also, Leo is now dozing next to me, so that is a definite plus!)
Haha I've played that with Feist. :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Honestly, it sounds more like submissive urination than anything else to me.
Part of it is. He is a submissive/excited urinater, which is mostly manageable. But that coupled with his normal day-to-day weird potty habits (like peeing as he's walking out the door and getting a stream on my carpet and/or my shoes/socks) is about ready to drive me up the wall.

Eta: and to clarify, by putting him on a leash I mean looping a slip lead over his head. Im not leaning over him, or towards him, or even looking at him. But he knows the slip lead means hes going out to potty (like when he's walking through the door), so he just starts peeing! I've been hooking him up to the chain outside to avoid pee by the door and he will literally hold a sit/stay while I'm looping it over his head while letting out a stream of urine as if he was standing up and peeing.

Frustrating.

Last edited:
Ugh I hate submissive urinators ... My parents dog Yumi is a submissive urinator :wall: and I hate it.
Both Bayleigh and Pirate are submissive urinators. They've both stopped for the most part. Bayleigh really stopped when I put some obedience training on her. I think Pirate grew out of it but he will still do it on occasion. It's awful.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I am going through dog withdrawal. Im looking at breeders. I know what kind of dogs I like and what I want to live with, but Im even looking outside what I know I wont be happy with. Im not about to run out and go get a random dog. Im even looking at mixes. Nothing wrong with a shelter dog but I am to into showing and CKC events that a shelter dog would not be suitable in our home now or in the near future.

I just had to vent. Withdrawal sucks.

Kootenay

Ohhh my gad. I just had a girl tell me that she thinks that if she gets a male dog for her (spayed) female, that the female's "ovaries will grow back". I had an incredibly hard time keeping a straight face as I murmured some vaguely interested "oh really?".

She also was inquiring if I was going to breed Yarrow (I'm not, he just got neutered), and was telling me that she wants to get a huge male wolfdog to protect her female from wolves and bears. She says she is sure that it would make the wolves "respect" her.

I love my community, but boy does it attract some crazies.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Feel so bad for feisty. She's teething like woah all of the sudden and it's obvious her mouth really really hurts. She doesn't even want to eat kibble it hurts so bad. Hoping she'll just continue dropping teeth out super fast and we can get this over with. She's fifteen weeks, Wesley teethed like this so much later.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Dear Cajun,
While I'm upset that it had to be 5:30am, I do appreciate that you whined when you had to pee, instead of peeing in your crate.

Dear Juno,
Stop eating the Heartgard. You don't need a whole year's worth in the span of 2 days.

(Note to self: hide the Heartgard.)

It's like Penny and Bayleigh are the same dog in two different bodies. I love it! lol They are so similar it isn't even funny.

Do you guys think that trying to pull the futon off the frame and drag it around the room is a sign of dominance? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Do you guys think that trying to pull the futon off the frame and drag it around the room is a sign of dominance? Hypothetically speaking, of course.
Yes alpha role the offender before you find said dog taking the car without permission etc etc

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Oh my God I can't wait for my Manners Minder to get here on Friday. Went upstairs to brush my teeth. Cajun is crated. 5 seconds after I step out of my bedroom BARKBARKBARKBARKBARK. In 2 days I will be able to have treats rain upon her while I am brushing my teeth and, I am suspecting, prevent panic from setting in.

Saeleofu

The smoke detector needs new batteries, so it was beeping once in a while. Gavroche is TERRIFIED of the smoke alarm (and of fire), so he was shaking so bad until I took it down and removed the batteries :(

Good news is Gavorche hasn't started grinding his teeth yet this winter. Maybe the fluoxetine is working?!? We've tried literally EVERYTHING else, so I'll be very happy if this fixes it.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
So three days after my breeder posts a picture of Quinn's mom in a cone (and I make a comment on Quinn being accident prone), and a day after I bought cool mint colored vet wrap (after making a comment that with Quinn, I'll use it some day), Quinn rips her carpal pad nearly in two :( Running off a coyote on rough, frozen ploughed ground. Blood everywhere!

Now she's being grumpy and very protective of herself and poor Ned can't figure out why, lol.

Taqroy

Tipper is approximately three barks away from being debarked with a rusty spork. It is not my fault its negative degrees outside!

Members online

No members online now.