Fish oil vs salmon oil

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I'm going through a lot of fish oil pills, does anyone use liquid salmon oil instead? Shadow takes fish oil for her gnarly coat, Bloo and Emmy boy get dry skin.

xpaeanx

I used to use it for Bailey. He had no issues taking it and I found it easier than the pills. I used to home cook him stews and mix in his fish oil & vitamins.

Saeleofu

Logan is picky, so I tend to use capsules instead of the liquid for him, but I'm considering getting liquid next time. I currently have him on Welactin, and it's free for your SD if you're a member of IAADP (*cough*Em*cough*).

I used to use it on Gavroche, but now that his thyroid levels are fine, he doesn't need it anymore. Gavroche eats anything, though.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I have not made the effort to go get my IDAAP membership just yet, lol.

Does using salmon oil instead end up being any cheaper than the pills?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Watch the quality of your oils if you start looking for deals. I would use Salmon because its better and I preferred the grizzly pump kind but it wasn't cheap.

Saeleofu

I have not made the effort to go get my IDAAP membership just yet, lol.

Well,you can do it online and pay through Paypal, it makes it super easy ;) I wasn't sure if it would be worth it but...it's SO worth it. Free glucosamine and fish oil? Yes, please :)

Anyway, I've found that there's really no way to do cheap fish oil while still doing any good. I had Logan on generic fish oil and his skin is so, SO dry and flaky. He's been on the Welactin for just under a month and I'm already starting to see a bit of improvement (I can go TWO weeks between baths now instead of one week!). So I think it's pointless to go for cheap oil because you may was well not be giving it at all, or at least that's how it's been for me.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I don't know but I started giving mine salmon oil (instead ofnthe usual generic fish oil) & that's what buddy had his accident in his crate ... So I guess I'll stick to regular old fish oil ... Don't understand why it would effect them like that ... But :confused: guess it was too rich for them.

Saeleofu

I don't know but I started giving mine salmon oil (instead ofnthe usual generic fish oil) & that's what buddy had his accident in his crate ... So I guess I'll stick to regular old fish oil ... Don't understand why it would effect them like that ... But :confused: guess it was too rich for them.
Probably because it was something new. Gavroche can eat anything anytime and never has a problem, but Logan is the sort of dog who needs things introduced slowly, and even then you might have some poosplosions. But with time, everything gets back to how it should be WITH whatever I changed/added.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
That's what makes it so weird, because Josefina is usually the one who has all the problems with change in diet :confused: silly dogs.

What sucks is if he had done it when I was there, I prolly would have heard him & would have been able to let him out in time, but since I was t there & no one stays in my room but the dogs, there was no one to hear him (he whines when he has to go out). Poor dog :(

I have since gone back to "generic" fish oil ... XD

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Not looking for anything cheap, just perhaps slightly less expensive and a bit easier than a thousand pills per day. I found cheaper pills of equal quality today, so they'll be on those until I get around to ordering salmon oil.

DJEtzel

I like the grizzly salmon oil more, too.

My dogs had very noticeably better coats/skin with the salmon oil vs. capsules.

I use the Welactin liquid because Mr. Allergies decided he didn't want to take capsules anymore, and I really like it... easy peasy squirted on the food.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
We have tried several brands and have been using Seapet for a couple years now. I like that it has Vit. E already in it and that you have to feed less of it than other brands.

Saeleofu

My favorite vet (she's our relief vet, I see her about once a year, and it just so happens that's when my dogs get their yearly visits ;)) told me last time I saw her that there has been some evidence that most brands of fish oil designed for humans, especially generics, are not readily absorbed by dogs. She was going to find the article for me, but last I heard hasn't found it yet (and I haven't bothered looking myself yet). Maybe I'll stop by her home clinic (a block away!) and see if she knows more this week. She did say it was in one of the veterinary journals, so not just some random internet article.

SpringerLover

The dosing rule I've been told is 50mg/kg of EPA is the "most beneficial." That's quite a few capsules, but not very much liquid. Bailey gets the liquid pump as I find deals online but gets her "regular" dose in capsules when I can't (because it's still cheaper).

(Buzz can't take it, and Gaby's currently getting Cod Liver Oil-for pets, because it was free. I love free)

The dosing rule I've been told is 50mg/kg of EPA is the "most beneficial." That's quite a few capsules, but not very much liquid.
This! I've done capsules in the past, but liquid ended up being way cheaper with the amount of capsules I had to use.

I've used Alaska Naturals Salmon Oil, Nature's Logic Sardine Oil, and Grizzly Pollock Oil, and I love them all. They're all about the same price/ounce. The one downside is the Nature's Logic needs to be stored in the fridge and it's leaked a couple times...and everything smelled like fish for a while...

Romy

Taxiderpy
I used capsules. No noticeable difference there, even though I popped them open and stuff.

Grizzly Salmon Oil is amazing. We just ran out, and apparently the company is having wild salmon supply problems this year so we're giving the Grizzly Pollock Oil a try. It should be here early next week. I'll update in a month or so about whether there's any difference in their condition using that vs. the salmon.

Edit:

After seeing how glossy and incredible my dogs look after being on the Grizzly pump salmon oil, I'm seriously tempted to put it in shakes for myself. I wish my hair looked that good!!! lol

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.