Barbet?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Anyone have any experience with one?

My coworker/friend/owner of Ava who I've posted pictures of/person is looking at them for a potential next breed.

She is a member here, but the Internet is hard :p but I'm hoping she will post to respond to any responses here. I know she will at least be reading the thread.

Anywho, any input is appreciated!

And here is a picture of Ava and Siri to help persuade you all to post lol

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I asked about them probably last year, and I think one person had a friend with one, and everybody else had no idea what it was :p

I've talked to a breeder about them in depth and met many of their dogs but I'm heading out the door for work, so I'll come back to the thread. Barbet is a future breed for me, for sure.

CaliTerp07

My former coworker/good friend has them as family dogs. His parents had always had english cockers, but wanted a more unique breed this time and found a Barbet breeder in Canada they went to.

Zeus is great with all his nephews and nieces, flops at his feet while he writes law school papers and then goes and chases balls in the yard when he needs a study break. Looks to me like a super expensive doodle (and from the sounds of it, acts similarly).

I'm sure all this second hand information is SUPER helpful. :D Basically though, these are not super dog savvy people, and they love the breed and are sold on having one forever.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks guys!

I know she started reading about them and likes all of the stuff she has read, but then again reading online is one thing and people's experiences are another. I know that she said all of the breeders that she liked were in Canada.

I'm hoping she will come on and make a "Right breed for me" thread eventually as well.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
Anyone have any experience with one?
I don't have one, but have read quite a bit about them, and have seen and interacted with quite a few of them from a number of breeders. We happen to have several friends with Barbets and, having puppy-sat one for a while, got to know her more intimately. So all that, does not an expert make me, but:

They're truly lovely little dogs (although size is relative - to me, they're "little"). I found them to be, overall, very similar in temperament and personality to the Portuguese Water Dog which, for you friends, could be another option (along with the Lagotto Romagnolo with which I have no first-hand experience).

The Barbet is a bright, interactive, energetic, happy dog. The biggest caveat would be the potentially tireless energy level. They do settle as they mature, but their get-up-and-go can often rival that of the Portie. If this is a potential issue, make sure your friends get a calmer, lower energy puppy.

CuzICan

Barbet

Thanks for the info! Sorry I haven't properly introduced myself, but like PWCorgi said, internetting is hard. :p Basically I would like a dog that I can jog with and has some sporting potential, isn't quite so serious (i've had herding breeds in the past) good with kids, and not over 50 lbs (I'm 5ft 1"). While my husband wants a dog that doesn't shed... I know most people reach for the doodles, but since I have ethical and practical issues with designer breeds that isn't an option (even though Ava is technically a designer, she's a rescue so she doesn't count :) )
Now that I've effectively wasted 10 minutes of your life rambling, I'm curious to know everyones input on this breed or any others that might fit this ridiculously long bill :D

Lol, you obvious haven't seen the 'breed suggestion' we put up (myself included) if you think your list is long.

I have nothing else useful to add to this thread, except whatever you end up with, we require lots of pictures

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Thanks for the info! Sorry I haven't properly introduced myself, but like PWCorgi said, internetting is hard. :p Basically I would like a dog that I can jog with and has some sporting potential, isn't quite so serious (i've had herding breeds in the past) good with kids, and not over 50 lbs (I'm 5ft 1"). While my husband wants a dog that doesn't shed... I know most people reach for the doodles, but since I have ethical and practical issues with designer breeds that isn't an option (even though Ava is technically a designer, she's a rescue so she doesn't count :) )
Now that I've effectively wasted 10 minutes of your life rambling, I'm curious to know everyones input on this breed or any others that might fit this ridiculously long bill :D
I could see nixing a doodle and getting a straight up standard poodle, for other breed suggestions. Good with kids, mine is a great running buddy, and plenty of goofiness. Girls generally stay within your weight range. Wesley is under 50 lbs, but he's wicked skinny and most boys I know are 60 or so.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There are labradoodle breeders out here who are health testing their dogs too. I wouldn't think it would be very hard to find a decent labradoodle breeder.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I was fortunate to be in the presence of many Barbets recently on 2 different days. Once at the Detroit KC Meet the Breeds, and another day at an Open Show (their specialty) in KY.

I didn't talk to them in depth about the breed, but they seem very happy, healthy, and a great alternative to the doodle-mixes. On my FSS Facebook page it appears there aren't many US litters. Always a problem with new FSS breeds. But I'm sure the breed club could help you out.

The coat is like a poodle, so you need to learn to groom or pay for regular grooming.

BostonBanker

I have zero experience with Barbets, but for another breed that might fit your needs, have you looked at Bedlingtons? I grew up with one who was a great dog.

Non-shedding, nice small/medium size, athletic enough to jog or do agility, but pretty mellow in the house (at least ours was - totally fine in a home where both kids were in school and both parents worked). Ours did have some resource guarding issues, which we never did anything about, but otherwise was great with people, including us stupid kids and our friends. For how little we knew back then, and how little we did with him, he really was a great dog. There are a few around here that run agility, and they always make me miss him.

CuzICan

I didn't talk to them in depth about the breed, but they seem very happy, healthy, and a great alternative to the doodle-mixes. On my FSS Facebook page it appears there aren't many US litters. Always a problem with new FSS breeds. But I'm sure the breed club could help you out.

The coat is like a poodle, so you need to learn to groom or pay for regular grooming.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually a groomer :D so that won't be an issue. I found US breeders to be rather slim pickin's myself. That's why I branched out to the Canadian KC. I was able to find several really nice breeders in Ontario, but am curious to see what else might be available here in the states as well. If for no other reason than to actually meet one of these mysterious dogs!

CuzICan

On my FSS Facebook page it appears there aren't many US litters. Always a problem with new FSS breeds. But I'm sure the breed club could help you out.

The coat is like a poodle, so you need to learn to groom or pay for regular grooming.
I'm actually a groomer :D so that won't be an issue. I found US breeders to be rather slim pickin's myself. That's why I branched out to the Canadian KC. I was able to find several really nice breeders in Ontario, but am curious to see what else might be available here in the states as well. If for no other reason than to actually meet one of these mysterious dogs!

Aleron

Nice quote. How embarrassing...
Is this meant to sound as rude as it comes off? The poster is new to this forum and may not understand how all the functions work.

The Barbet is a bright, interactive, energetic, happy dog. The biggest caveat would be the potentially tireless energy level. They do settle as they mature, but their get-up-and-go can often rival that of the Portie. If this is a potential issue, make sure your friends get a calmer, lower energy puppy.
Do you have a PWD?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Lol Aleron, she is a coworker/friend and we have a very abusive relationship :p and it is funny because she was telling me at work that she knew how to quote, lol.

When I looked into PWD a couple years ago I spoke to breeders etc and they kept bringing up the potential for temperament issues in the breed. Maybe the breed has reconciled these issues in the last couple years? But that was my hesitation with the breed.

Members online

No members online now.