Human Conditioning!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
So we talk a LOT about keeping our dogs fit, and there are some human diet threads, but what about our physical conditioning?

I fell off the C25K wagon this fall when the weather went to crap and haven't managed to get back into it again. That, combined with a desire to get Kes' endurance title (AD - 12 miles at 8mph with handler on a bike, dog running alongside) spurred me into bike shopping and today I came home with a used mountain bike from CL for $40.

I took it out on our street (slight incline), rode for about four tenths of a mile and I am BEAT. :p I can run/walk a 5K in about 30 minutes, can rollerblade 5 miles in about 45 minutes, and can hike a 9 mile mountain trail, but four tenths of a mile on a bike kicked my butt?!?! LOL

So how is everyone else staying in shape?

Doberluv

Well, I joined the YMCA and go almost every day, sometimes twice. I use to swim competitively, so that's kind of my favorite thing to do. I've had to work up my endurance gradually though. So, now I'm up to about 1/2 to 3/4 mile. It takes about 1/2 hour, so it's kind of slow but I'm able to go with just a few stops and a few laps of breast stroke in between when I need a rest. It use to be I'd swim a mile in about 20 to 30 minutes if I recall. So, I'm a long ways from that speed. I'm even adding flip turns now though, which are fun. LOL. My arms got so weak and finally, they're getting stronger. Then on alternate days I work out on the tread mill, elliptical, rowing machine and some weights or I go to one of the many classes they offer; zumba, cycling (spinning) which kicks my butt big time, or some other cardio type class.

That was quite a good deal on the bike. I'm sure in a little while, you'll build up to that better. It just takes a little time. When I first got back into swimming, I could only swim about 2 to 4 laps and then I'd need to stop, I was so out of shape. But it's coming along. I can only dare ride a stationary bike, unfortunately. It would be fun to do what you're doing. But I have an issue with bikes...landed in the hospital three times in serious condition from various injuries. All the years I had horses, never got hurt too badly, with one exception. But bikes! Can't seem to stay safe on a bike. lol. So, the gym is fun for me...lots of variety and great in lousy weather. I'm really glad I joined. One of these days, my daughter and I are going to play racket ball....use to do that when I worked at a big gym years ago. It's wild.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Ha ha, well right now Im not really doing anything to stay in shape. Im eating as much junk food as I can and being lazy...

Because I know once we move to BC, Im gonna be eating healthy foods and hiking and biking alot. Im also hopping to get back into jogging/walking. Last summer I was doing that alot, but backed off once it started getting cold. So thats what I will be doing in the summer to stay in shape. But right now, NADA!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I mostly just run or walk, on the aerobic side of things. I don't have a bike that's good for riding with a dog alongside so I don't bicycle. I've been slacking on running myself through the winter because it's dark when I get home, but we did a 2 miler (+2 miles walking) and a 5 miler (+2 miles walking) over the weekend and felt pretty good. Now if it would ever stop sleeting so the trails weren't a hazard...we would've been back out there today but it was a mess and I don't like tearing tendons or tearing up trails.

ACooper

We live in northern IN, so outdoor winter exercise isn't all that practical unless it's an actual winter sport (which I do not do!) So for the winter, I normally just use my treadmill a bit and call it good........but this year we rejoined (were members several years back when the kids were smaller) the YMCA and have been going a few times a week :) I enjoy the wellness center and use the spin bikes the most. I plan to utilize the pool/sauna/hot tub starting next week!

In the summer I enjoy biking and swimming. Kevin and I both have Schwinns. We love riding down to the farmer's market on the weekends, or just cruising around town through the week..............ahhhhhhh, I can't wait to get them out of the shed again! :D

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Burning through my half-marathon training... today I looked at my plan again and tweaked it a little to follow Hal Higdon's training plan more closely, shuffled some stuff around knowing I've got some weekends where I'm gone at agility trials in there. My long run last weekend was only 4 miles, this weekend only 5, but after next weekend (another 5) it starts progressing a mile every weekend.
The weather is getting a bit better (mostly) and the days are getting longer so I'm going to hopefully switch to running outside from here on out! That will make it easier because I absolutely despise the treadmill. =P

I have totally failed at my strength training though, EVERY week I tell myself I'm going to add it in and I don't. I focus on getting my miles in and neglect that stuff. =< I need to just make some kind of DVD or audio file that tells me "Do this! Now do this! Do this many of these!" and rock 'n roll. I have a list on paper but for some reason that doesn't work for me (because I keep having to stop and look at the list!)

Sounds like a bike problem, not a human problem.

Adjust air pressure in your tires to around the max on the tire sidewall. Make sure the brakes aren't dragging. Adjust your seat properly so your leg is nearly fully extended.

SpringerLover

I joined a gym. I go to classes. I had a session with a personal trainer tonight, OH MY GOSH... I should do that more often! :)

In short, I'm incredibly out of shape right now. I hope to have that changed in a couple months.

GoingNowhere

It's the sights like this:

and this:

and this:

and this:

that get me outside and being active. Of course, at the moment, I'm not in great shape at all, but once this weather decides to cooperate and my schedule frees up, you can bet I'll be back out hiking! I've never been much for exercising just to exercise, so I'm glad that there are such great hikes, walking trails, and bike paths around me to utilize!

MikeR

Jogging, and not consuming more calories than what you burn. That is the real secret to staying fit.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Amazing on the half marathon training Beanie!

When I find time, I hit a treadmill in the gym and can still run 5-6km, thankfully haven't lost it. In summer I rollerblade with Cider, ride with Kerri..

I'm down 16 pounds, and would love the warm to come so I could do things outside again.. I am a ski instructor, but since I supervise now.. I have no time to ski. At the hill 25 hours a week or so, seen my skis once. I used to ski 40 a week and lost 30 pounds one year and kept it off for multiple years..

Dekka

Just try me..
Not for losing weight (as I don't think exercise has a lot to do with losing weight, but has a lot to do with looking fit and being healthy) but I have been going to the gym. Oh wow I did a pilates class on monday. Didn't feel like anything at the time. My abs are still killing me this morning. I wanted to hit a class today but I have a bad headache and likely should just take it easy.

Jogging, and not consuming more calories than what you burn. That is the real secret to staying fit.
I have to say this gave me a chuckle. Its great if that works for you. And it might be your real secret. But the secret is really that its not that simple for many people.

MikeR

I have to say this gave me a chuckle. Its great if that works for you. And it might be your real secret. But the secret is really that its not that simple for many people.
I know its difficult but not impossible.

Its all a matter of self control.

I'm not just talking out my nose here, take me for example. I used to weight 230 lbs, walking and cutting down my calorie intake, I now weight 150 lbs, it took me one year, but its worth it and anyone can do it! :)

AliciaD

On second thought...
Well, I think you guys have only seen pics of my face with the dogs, but I'm pretty big. That being said, it's gotten worse since going to school because (surprise, surprise) I'm not walking my dogs 3 miles a day.

And I don't feel like walking by myself.

So I'm doing training that doesn't involve a gym or equipment. Pushups, situps, yoga, lunges, resistance bands, stair climbing, etc.

And in June I'm walking the 10k AIDS Walk Boston, :) I do it every year. You guys should do it too!

Dekka

Just try me..
I know its difficult but not impossible.

Its all a matter of self control.

I'm not just talking out my nose here, take me for example. I used to weight 230 lbs, walking and cutting down my calorie intake, I now weight 150 lbs, it took me one year, but its worth it and anyone can do it! :)
I am not talking out my nose either.. On two fronts. I am experienced at losing (and sadly gaining) weight. AND I am a biochemist.

First off.. I took up running. I ran with the Running room. I did this for about 6 months. I ran 5-8k 3-4 times a week. I kept a food diary and ate no more than 1500 cals a day.. more typically 1100-1300. I weighted 267 at the start. I lost maybe 10 pounds in all that time.

I did lose weight cutting calories a few years ago. I just kept cutting over time and had to get down to 600 cals a day to see the scale move. It did and I lost 60 pounds. Sadly I cannot live that way and they call came back with friends.

I kept a food diary this fall. Just to see what I was eating (not trying to change things) I nearly cried. I was only eating ~1100 cals a day. How the heck could I be this weight?

I am now down a lot simply by changing what I ate, not how much I ate.

As for cals in/out. Its being shown not to be the primary mechanism of losing weight for obese people. The changes people make to drop calories often what make the difference. Papers are showing this consistently. There are kids in clinics (so not sneaking more food) with hormonal imbalances that gain weight even on severely low calorie diets. As soon as they are 'fixed' the weight comes off even when they eat a normal amount of food.

Cals in/out is not a useful model for looking at metabolism. It doesn't take into account the various pathways of digestion/metabolism (for example fructose is metabolized in a different pathway than glucose. This is why rats fed the same calories but high fructose diets gain more weight than those on a high glucose diet) It also doesn't take into account the metabolic 'cost' of different foods (it takes energy to break down nutrients.. some more than others) As well as it completely ignores the fact that the body can regulate how much energy it burns up or down in response to how much you eat and hormonal responses to what you eat.

/steps off soap box.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yea this is not a thread about losing weight, as we have several of those, this is about *conditioning* and imo there's a big difference between the two.

I'm at a good weight for me, the lowest I've been in the last 8-10 years, am maintaining it just fine, and have for the past almost 2 years, *but* I still don't consider myself as fit as I'd like to be! ;)

Dekka

Just try me..
Well yes.. I dont' think the two are related. Its just needed to be refuted!

back on topic.. I would really like to get a personal trainer but I can't afford one right now. A friend got one and had a tailored program and made MUCH better gains than when we were just messing around on our own.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I sadly had 3 PTs last year. One rocked, 2 were useless. I didn't find their program was better for me per say, the extra encouragement to go further, push harder and finish my workout if tired was really what thy were good for.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
That does remind me that one of my friends is a trainer - and I've given her plenty of advice on her cat, so perhaps I can get her to offer some suggestions.... :)

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I'm playing softball and volleyball, so every day of the week I'm doing something for 2 hours, sometimes 4. I want to start running, but I hate running.

Members online

No members online now.