Nutro Brand Dog Foods

I came across 3 different kinds of the Nutro Brand dog food the other day and I was wondering if anyone has used this kind, or if it's not a good one to give dogs. :confused:

Saje

Island dweller
Well, I have never used it but the guy at my pet store who seems knowledgable in such things does not recommend it or feed it to his dogs. He keeps it in stock because it in such high demand and it's not as bad as, say, Iams. He told me that a lot of people buy it because the packaging has a natural and different look.

Also, from what I've read online it's not a great one either.

I'm going to post the link that Renee always posts because it's so easy to remember. :) There are quite a few helpful articles on there.

www.greatdanelady.com

Hope that helps.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
my opinion on what nutro has to offer:

nutro max - garbage.

natural choice - overpriced for the quality it offers, but one of the better choices if only mainstream foods are available. few people know that this line has an actual meat content of only about 26-30%, the rest is grains and fillers - which are easily noticed in the huge poop piles it produces.

natural choice ultra - totally overpriced for the quality it offers, because it's basically the natural choice with a few extra industry byproducts and supplements thrown in.

i do believe it fills a niche at the big-box pet stores tho, any dog not eating grocery store brands, science diet or iams is better off - and nutro is definitely better than that.

I know you said you didn't recommend Nutro but what about Innova? Here's my dilema... we have a 6 month old yorkie (spoiled rotten) who will not eat her dog food (currently we have Natural Balance), we've also tried Wellness.. She just will not eat dry kibble. So, we've tried adding some Wellness puppy wet, all she does is suck the wet stuff off the kibble and spit it out. We've tried adding all kinds of things.... nothing! I know everyone says she will eat when she gets hungry, well..... my husband has been feeding her table food behind my back (my son told on him)... so that is definitely not helping the matter. Any thoughts other than killing my husband??? LOL

I don't think you'll find anyone here who's ever fed the Innova that won't recommend it wholeheartedly. They not only have manufacture some of the best quality feeds from any perspective, they are also one of the most ethical when it comes to the animals that help develop their products. They are rescues, well loved and cared for in comfy, homey areas with lots of play time and interaction indoors and out and they are retired after a relatively short time and adopted into "real" homes!

As long as your husband isn't feeding her junk it wouldn't be such a bad thing to give her a treat from the table every now and then, but it's easy, especially for the small breeds, to get spoiled on it and refuse to eat anything else. It's hard to get the spouses to listen sometimes, but about the only thing you can do is try to explain to him that she's not getting a balanced diet and it's going to have an adverse effect on her quality of life, and even the length of her life, at some point.

Tears can be a big help in an argument sometimes . . . you should see how effective it is when Shiva or Kharma squeeze out those doggie-tears . . . ;)

Thanks Renee.... I think I'm going to have to pour on those tears although it seems the little yorkie girl (daddy's girl) all she has to do is give him that pouty look. I'm definitely going to try the innova and see if that helps as well as keep an eye on hubby.

Renee - I went for the Innova and the gentlemen at petsmart talked me into trying Solid Gold puppy and see if she would take to that first and then go to Innova. So far she is eating it pretty good as long as I add a tiny bit of wet to give it more flavor. Do you know why he would've suggested Solid Gold over Innova? I know Solid Gold is good to, I was just curious?

Probably because they make more profit from it! No way I would choose Solid Gold over the Innova - it's not even in the same universe. Does your PetSmart even sell Innova? Most don't; I've never heard of one that did, actually. That might be your answer right there . . .

Renee, they do sell the Innova.. I really did think it was odd that I went in for that and he led me to Solid Gold. The same gentlemen knows Cocoa and knows we have tried Wellness & Natural Balance, (he was nice enough to let me bring the bags back in for a store credit) since she hardly ate any. Really strange.

Retail stores have all sorts of programs where they get breaks from the manufacturer and contests sponsored by manufacturers. The staff may or may not be told about them, but they get told to push certain products over others. It's also very rare that you actually get informed people working in a chain store, so you need to do your own homework and have your mind pretty well made up before you go in, knowing that the odds of getting good advice are pretty slim.

It's good to hear that they do carry the Innova. Maybe more of their stores will start carrying it in the future.

Feeding tablescraps won't help. You just have to let her realize that she isn't getting anything else--she has to eat her kibble. I'll admit though, my girls get scraps, lol.

Nutro Natural Choice is OK, but there are better foods. Innova is a great food---mmm.

I wish they would start selling it in pet stores, cause I can't find the Innova anywhere. And anyone I ask, has never even heard of it. :rolleyes: So until then I will be giving my babies, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul.

Thanks for the links. Although, there still are no stores near me lol. There was one kind of nearby, but the store is no longer there. So I guess unless I drive more than 2 hours away, I will not be getting Innova :( I think my choice with the Chicken Soup food will suit them well, and I've heard good things about it. So anyway, thank you for the links, I appreciate it!! :)

Sometimes those Innova dealers listed by NaturaPet sell to smaller stores and/or vet clinics, so if you call the dealer they will be able to tell you if they sell to anyone in your area.

Members online