Restricted breeds

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
So I am looking at the City Of Edmonton bylaws and such. This doesnt make sence
The Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw # 13145 (242 KB) defines a "restricted dog" as any dog:

That has chased, attacked or bitten any person or animal causing physical injury and resulting in a conviction under this bylaw
That has chased, attacked or bitten any person or animal on more than one occasion, with or without causing physical injury, and resulting in separate convictions under this bylaw
That has been made the subject of an order under the Dangerous Dogs Act
Certified by an Alberta licenced veterinarian to be primarily of the breed Staffordshire Bull Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club
Certified by an Alberta licenced veterinarian to be primarily of the breed American Staffordshire Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club
Note: The restricted dog definition does NOT include any dog that is registered, or eligible for registration, with the Canadian Kennel Club as a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier.
So if my Am Staff (Lets say I had one) was regestered by the CKC it isnt a restricted dog but if it wasnt reg it would be :confused:

Am I reading it right or is the fact that its 2am catching up to me.

That's how it reads to me - will be interesting to see what others answer.

Edmonton brrrrr:)

Paige

Let it be
I think they are trying to say that if it has unknown breeding and looks like a Staffie it is restricted

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
So if it looks like a staffie its restricted. So logicaly why arent reg staffies restricted too. Im so confused

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Oh, I think that's exactly what it says, and I see why. Because they don't have a "standard" for the ABPT, which is what they want to ban, they are using other breeds as a proxy. Anything that could be, but isn't, a purebred Am Staff, Staffie or bull terrier is a "pit bull." Purebreds, of course, don't count, because we all know purebred dogs are wonderful and harmless, right?

It sounds like the CKC or some breeders had a chat with them and convinced them that CKC registered dogs aren't the problem (correct) but they then tried to come up with away to ban "pit bulls" anyway (never mind that being a "pit bull" isn't the problem either) . . .using the CKC standards. Its bizarre, but I see what they are trying to do. They're presuming that registered "pit bulls" are owned by responsible people, while the non-registered ones are owned by irresponsible people . .. a step up from banning the lot, but also totally crazy . . . seriously over/under incluive . . .

I'd consult a lawyer, but if your dog is registered, you're probably fine. Better keep a copy of his papers in your wallet though . . .

At least, that's how I'd read what the statute means and how it got that way. Its possible that Canada has different rules of statutory construction from the USA though.

noludoru

Bored Now.
That's how it read to me, too. If it LOOKS like a Staffy or an Amstaff it's banned, but if it IS a Staffy or an Amstaff it's allowed.

Makes you wonder when bully breed rescuers are going to get smart and start going to the fake registries when their dogs are young and purchasing papers. It sounds to me like it would be well worth the money to have a registered Bullydoodlepoo.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
That's how it read to me, too. If it LOOKS like a Staffy or an Amstaff it's banned, but if it IS a Staffy or an Amstaff it's allowed.

Makes you wonder when bully breed rescuers are going to get smart and start going to the fake registries when their dogs are young and purchasing papers. It sounds to me like it would be well worth the money to have a registered Bullydoodlepoo.
The fake registries wouldn't work, because they have to be registered (or registerable) with the CKC as one of those breeds (One wonders what would happen if you had AKC or UKC registration . . . on the face of the text, you're screwed). However, if the CKC has an equivalent of the AKC's ILP system, then you're set . . . any dog that looks plausibly like one of those breeds is registerable . . . there's a loophole you could drive a truck through . . .

Members online

No members online now.