Frequency of blood test for Heartworm

mctraill

Can you tell me should I have my dog tested for Heartworm once a year or more frequent?

Thanks

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
If the dog is on preventative. Most of us test yearly or every other year. People who don't use preventative I've been told often test every 6 months.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Actually I've read a lot of threads lately on other boards that hw preventative is too much poison and it's better to play russian roulette.. Advocating other people should too.

bubbatd

I test every year ..... On preventives but depending on winter temps slack off during Nov - Feb . EliNHunter adopted her Yogi in Feb and was tested heartworm free .... yet a year later was positive ! Seems that when 1st tested the heartworms were very young and didn't show up . Luckily early treatment killed all . But having worms and being on the prevenitive could have killed him . Always wise to check !

bubbatd

Too many things with life are Russian Roulette ......I'd rather go with the flow than take my chances . I'd never want to say " What if " .

elegy

overdogged
if the dog is on preventative year-round, we only require testing every 3-4 years. heartworm is not a very big risk here.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
All dogs get heartworm prevention all year then get tested once a year.

mctraill

Many Thanks. I adopted my dog 1 year ago today and she was tested at the shelter and was negative. We took her to the vet who put her on heartguard. We moved house a couple on months later and registered with another vet from the same group just a different practice, Banfield, they seem to be in all the petsmart stores. When we registered with this new one once we moved, the vet said we had to do a blood test otherwise she wouldnt give the heartguard to her as she wanted to be sure that the test was right, she wouldnt trust someone elses test. Now 6 months later the vet wants to give my dog another blood test before giving me more heartguard. I live in houston texas, where it is needed probably year round, but wanted to check the rate of blood test before telling her to get lost, they just seem to want to take your money all time.

We are thinking of finding a vet who wants to get to know the dog rather than thinking of how much money they can take from us.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
We require the Heartworm test ever 2 years. EVEN if your dog has been on prevenative..

I've lost count on how many positives we've come across already...

Riot is on Revolution from May-November and then hes on Interceptor from Dec-April so he has 100% protection at all times.

We dont allow people get get prevenative unless their dogs are up to date on vaccines AND have had a heart worm test within the past 2 years. That way its a routine thing for them and that way their dog always stays up to date!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Many Thanks. I adopted my dog 1 year ago today and she was tested at the shelter and was negative. We took her to the vet who put her on heartguard. We moved house a couple on months later and registered with another vet from the same group just a different practice, Banfield, they seem to be in all the petsmart stores. When we registered with this new one once we moved, the vet said we had to do a blood test otherwise she wouldnt give the heartguard to her as she wanted to be sure that the test was right, she wouldnt trust someone elses test. Now 6 months later the vet wants to give my dog another blood test before giving me more heartguard. I live in houston texas, where it is needed probably year round, but wanted to check the rate of blood test before telling her to get lost, they just seem to want to take your money all time.

We are thinking of finding a vet who wants to get to know the dog rather than thinking of how much money they can take from us.

I would suggest you switch vets NOW. Banfield is not a place I would ever trust my dog's vet care with. There was a thread started a while back on it. The horror stories you would read from costomers on one website was amazing.

The bottom line for Banfield is MONEY, not pet care. I've worked there, I've seen the memos from corporate, I've gotten the speeches about selling selling selling those stupid wellness plans, I've seen them push treatments on dogs that don't need it (A dental on a 14 year old Afghan Hound, who by the way, died on the table as I was doing the dental)......

I hate Banfield. I could go on for hours.

Find another vet. You hit the nail on the head. Banfield wants your money.

Members online

No members online now.