Kennel Cough--how serious?

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
From what I've been told, the shot does't really protect a dog from catching KC, but it does lessen the effects. Maybe my information was wrong, so somebody else can weigh in on this. I asked about it because Tosca had her shot for training but a dog in the class turned out to have it and I was worried. Tosca did not get it, but I was told to still keep my dog away from other dogs for a period of time.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I've heard that there are many strains of kennel cough so the bortedella vaccine can help but can't protect against every strain.

How is Asha doing today?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for asking about her. We took Asha to the vet again on Sat. since she has not gotten any better, it had gone on way tooo long! They decidded to run xrays to rule out crazy stuff like an enlarged heart etc... and found that she has bronchitis. He gave us a cough suppresant to give her at bedtime, to break the cough cycle and said that it will run its course. And for the first night in over 3 weeks our house slept quielty!
We had tried robitussin and mucinex when the cough was wet or dry and neither ever helped her late night coughing fits!
All happy for our little Akita girl,

Members online