I think my dog is pregnant.

Boxerowner

Time to stop feeling guilty and just make sure she has the best.

I think it would be wrong this late in her pregnancy (if she is) to abort unless they become to big. She might need a section I would have her xray at about 7-8 weeks pregnant or when eve your vet advises you.

Good luck keep us up to date.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
RedyreRottweilers said:
If this were my bitch, I would not do any more guesswork. She would be at the vets getting spayed FIRST THING Monday morning.
I already stated we are going to make an appt. on Monday.

R

RedyreRottweilers

It is about 2 weeks past the ideal time to have spayed her if she IS pregnant, however, it can still be done.

If it were my dog, there is no way I would let her have those puppies. Trying to let her have them, having to have a section, etc, would be much more dangerous than spaying her NOW, IMO.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

R

RedyreRottweilers

don't make an appt.

Take her in FIRST THING Monday morning, and if she were mine, I would withhold food Sun evening so that if they can do the surgery, she will be ready.

I am not too knowledgable with Breeding and all this but i am trying to work this out..............5 weeks is around 35days, i am sure that just from reading posts here that a preg lasts for 62 days??

Now that would make her around half way (if she is preg).......she is too small to carry pups from the dog........I would think that she is in danger now if she is carrying puppies.

However.........I do know that Bitches can have a psuedo/false pregnancy after a heat too.

Also, before i was advised not to put Bailey to stud i done some research on what age he should be.

Alot of sites i visited said that he should be at least 1-2 years b/c his sperm wouldn't be "Ready" before then!
But.........as i said, i am not that knowledgable and there are others here who could help alot more than i can.
I am just stating to you what i have learnt.....I could be right......although i could be way off, i am sure that i will be corrected if i am wrong with any of this.

Please try and get her to the vets as soon as you can.

Don't feel guilty, you will worry more if you do!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
My gut says to call the vet first and seee what she has to say. I am doing the best I can with my dog. I think an abortions seems way to drastic. I don't want to hurt my girl! But I don't want her to be hurt delivering an impossible litter, either. We figured we'd get to the vet for a c-section if they couldn't be delivered. What's wrong with that?

Momof2Pups said:
My gut says to call the vet first and seee what she has to say. I am doing the best I can with my dog. I think an abortions seems way to drastic. I don't want to hurt my girl! But I don't want her to be hurt delivering an impossible litter, either. We figured we'd get to the vet for a c-section if they couldn't be delivered. What's wrong with that?
I think that what people are trying to say is not only would she most certainly need a C-section for delivery.........but there is a chance that her uterus/womb could rupture while carrying the puppies.

I think that one thing that some people who have posted are worried about is not will she have trouble delivering, but rather will her uterus hold up while these pups grow too large. You said it was a chow mix and she's only 10 lbs herself, that's the biggest concern, her little body may not be able to accommodate such large puppies. An abortion (if it could even be done) would only be done to save her life...if it's even necessary. Only your Vet will know for sure which way to go with her.
You're right, as you said you're getting her to the Vet as soon as possible to see what he/she says. Who knows, it still may be a false pregnancy...although it sounds pretty real to me..
Good Luck and please keep us all up to date.
I wish more places had 24 hour clinics. There are three 24 hour animal hospitals within a five mile radius of where I live..

Bailey+Ralph said:
I think that what people are trying to say is not only would she most certainly need a C-section for delivery.........but there is a chance that her uterus/womb could rupture while carrying the puppies.
As you can see I type too slow...we posted at the same time and with the same conclusion..;)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
dr2little said:
I think that one thing that some people who have posted are worried about is not will she have trouble delivering, but rather will her uterus hold up while these pups grow too large. You said it was a chow mix and she's only 10 lbs herself, that's the biggest concern, her little body may not be able to accommodate such large puppies. An abortion (if it could even be done) would only be done to save her life...if it's even necessary. Only your Vet will know for sure which way to go with her.
You're right, as you said you're getting her to the Vet as soon as possible to see what he/she says. Who knows, it still may be a false pregnancy...although it sounds pretty real to me..
Good Luck and please keep us all up to date.
I wish more places had 24 hour clinics. There are three 24 hour animal hospitals within a five mile radius of where I live..

Thank you so much for the perspective. I now understand peoples' advice of action as soon as possible much more clearly. I'll just do whatever is needed so it is as safe as possible, as soon as possible.
I wish there were more 24 hr. clinics too!

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Momof2Pups said:
I think an abortions seems way to drastic.
You wouldn't think that if you'd seen some of the horrors that can result from poorly planned or unplanned breedings (during pregnancy, whelping and the first few weeks of life for pups). Nor if you had euthanized a few hundred dogs.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
summitview said:
You wouldn't think that if you'd seen some of the horrors that can result from poorly planned or unplanned breedings (during pregnancy, whelping and the first few weeks of life for pups). Nor if you had euthanized a few hundred dogs.

Do the things you're referring to really happen to perfectly healthy dogs, or is it more common with puppy-mill type situations. I can understand what you mean, though.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Momof2Pups said:
Do the things you're referring to really happen to perfectly healthy dogs, or is it more common with puppy-mill type situations. I can understand what you mean, though.
The best, most responsible, educated and experienced breeder in the world can have horrid things happen in breeding, to their bitch and pups. It's always a chance. Some things cannot be prevented. Some things you cannot control - dogs are living beings and things happen with their bodies that are uncontrollable. There are always risks involved with breeding, that's why only very educated, experienced people should do it.

Fran27

Dogs get euthanized all the time just because of overcrowding in shelters. I'm sure 95% of them are healthy.

But in your case, your bitch can die if she is really pregnant and you're doing nothing now - imagine being pregnant with babies from humans twice your size or more... Where is the closest 24h clinic from you? Maybe you could just call them and ask for their opinion, even if you can't go that far.

Good luck, and keep us posted... might just be a false pregnancy.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
But in your case, your bitch can die if she is really pregnant and you're doing nothing now
You make it sound like I don't care. I love my dogs as much as it is humanly possible, and I don't want anything to happen to her. I am trying to get her in to the vet ASAP, and I'm doing my best to seek out advice and help her. If I didn't care and I was doing "nothing" I wouldn't be on this site panicking, asking and challenging questions to get informed about pregnancies by the widest amount of experienced people I can.

Saje

Island dweller
You have gotten really good advice here but I'm not sure you have heard it. I hope you will consider having an emergency spay done on your bitch. Weren't your vet clinics open for the last five weeks?

First of all, an 'abortion' isnt quite the same in people as in dogs. Dogs also have a MUCH higher pain tolerance than humans do. If you were going to have her spayed anyway, why is it such a big deal??? Just withhold her food Sunday night and take her in for a spay FIRST thing Monday morning? They do spays on pregnant bitches, and even bitches in heat. It is possible, and it is not any more invasive than a regular spay. Some vets are hesitant to do it, but if you explain that you think she has been bred I'm sure he would be more than happy to perform the spay. It seems as though even if it was an 'accident' you are coming up with reasons to not take action. Get her in there ASAP.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Saje said:
You have gotten really good advice here but I'm not sure you have heard it. I hope you will consider having an emergency spay done on your bitch. Weren't your vet clinics open for the last five weeks?
I know, and i even mentioned that I am glad for everyone's advice and I'm considering all of it. Why did you jump to those conclusions? Of course they were, but at 5 weeks she started showing and we put two and two together.

First of all, an 'abortion' isnt quite the same in people as in dogs. Dogs also have a MUCH higher pain tolerance than humans do. If you were going to have her spayed anyway, why is it such a big deal??? Just withhold her food Sunday night and take her in for a spay FIRST thing Monday morning? They do spays on pregnant bitches, and even bitches in heat. It is possible, and it is not any more invasive than a regular spay. Some vets are hesitant to do it, but if you explain that you think she has been bred I'm sure he would be more than happy to perform the spay. It seems as though even if it was an 'accident' you are coming up with reasons to not take action. Get her in there ASAP.
I'm just anxious and worried. I was confident everything was going to be okay, and today there was a huge turn for the worse on what could happen to Lucy. My "reasons not to take action" are fear and worry on how it's going to go. It takes more than words from people I don't even know to change my mind so drastically about risky surgeries. And if you really think i just don't want to "take action," why on earth would I put my dog through something that could hurt or even kill her??? I'm doing the best I can. Just accept that.

Members online

No members online now.