A question...

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Whenever Max is with Ruby and Chester alone, they love him, pay attention to him, do as he says and so on. But whenever they're all together they tend to just pay attention to me.

We only noticed it the other day when we were playing fetch with them. Well, actually Max was playing fetch with them and I got home from work and went out the back to play, too. As soon as I started, whether it was him throwing the ball or me throwing the ball, they only brought it back to me. He would be calling and saying `Bring it back' and the literally kept running right past him and dropping the ball at my feet. Max was a bit put out, I must say, and I was a bit embarrassed.

Why are they doing this? Is it because I'm more full on with them (ie - I cannot leave them alone they get constant cuddles from me). Max is so affectionate with them, though, too and they go nuts when he gets home from the show at night - run up to the door, tails wagging madly etc, but it seems they see me more as the alpha, despite me being female and Max male.

How can I restore the balance between us?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I believe its because you did the training with the dogs, so they see you as the "pack leader" and Max might just be another one in the pack, or only a rank higher then them.

So when you are around they feel the need to impress you.

This same situation happened with my mother and I when I was younger. This is also why I chose a breed that is prone to more of a one person idea.
When I first got Riot, she wasn't allowed to feed him or play with him for a week - this ensured our bond.

I suggest whenever Max is paying with the pups ignore the dogs for a bit.. and see what happens.

I had to do this with one of our Shelties when she was in training. She is a social little butterfly, so whenever my mom was doing something with her and she ran over to me. I wasn't to touch her or look at her and eventually she went back to my mom and did her command.

i'm sure others have better advice though lol This is just what works for me.

Doberluv

I wouldn't try to force the issue. If the dogs like Max and respect him, that's great. It's natural for dogs to see their main caregiver as their leader. You're their source of their resources so naturally, you're pretty important to them.

All my dogs have been like this. My GSD loved everyone in the family, totally hung out with everybody. But when we were all outside say, and Ajax would be off somewhere a little ways, my hubby would tell me to call MY dog. LOL. He didn't really obey others very well. It's been pretty much the same with all my dogs. To fight that and try to balance it out is sort of fighting their natural ways....as long as the dogs respect and like him, that's great. The more he does with them, the more skills he puts them through, the more they'll look up to him too. But whoever is the main caregiver will pretty much be head chef to the dog.

Members online