Non-shedding or longhaired breeds

noludoru

Bored Now.
Trying to figure out what route I want to go, as I need to have some idea in mind in the next year or two.

I want a non-shedder, ideally. I am so tired of fur. I hate it. I am tired of bathing,and blow drying, and lint rolling, and keeping the dog off the bed and off my work clothes. If I have to have fur I want a longhair, preferably single-coated - but I can deal with an Aussie type coat.

I want a clingy velcro dog.

I want a dog who is medium to high energy who will keep me active.

I want a dog who is a little sharp. Not all happy and doofy and "yay I love everyone." Not necessarily protective, but a little more engaging than Middie is.

I preferably not want a breed that is known to be excessively barky. Want the ball? Bark. Excited to see you? Bark. Squirrell? Bark. Someone outside? Bark. DO. NOT. WANT. I can work with barking, but when the default behavior is "bark," I am ripping my hair out. (Otherwise I'd be like COLLIES AND AUSSIES YES.)

I am having trouble deciding on a breed that fits these requirements. At all. I want a Dobe, and that's what I keep coming back to. Every time I think about it, that's the perfect temperament.

Every time I come back to coat, I just want a freaking labradoodle-thing. They don't have the ick factor of poodle coats or wire coats )they always feel greasy). They're long and soft and fluffy and usually low-shedding. But I would feel kind of bad for seeking out a designer mutt.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I have honestly never seen a Poodle or a wirehaired coat that was well kept and groomed to be greasy. Labradoodles also have wire coats like a terrier, at least the F1 generation does.

Could look at the Portuguese Water Dogs. The two I've known were agility dogs and were not big on barking but that's only anecdotal.

What about something like a Bouvier? I admittedly know very little about them, but the two that used to be in my agility class had temperaments similar to what you're describing.

chaospony

Apart from the Velcro dog thing, you want an Afghan hound!
If you don't want to bathe every two kr three weeks then you want an Afghan hound in a puppy clip or even a slightly longer clip.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
What about something like a Bouvier? I admittedly know very little about them, but the two that used to be in my agility class had temperaments similar to what you're describing.
I'll second the Bouvier suggestion. We had Bouv's for 20 years ... gr8 dogs! Assuming we're speaking of a decently-bred, well-socialized, and decently trained dog:

"I want a non-shedder"
- You'll need to cut the hair, or have it cut. But a well-groomed Bouvier sheds about as much as a Poodle (in our experience).

"I want a clingy velcro dog."
- Your Bouv will always want to be with you or, at least, will want to know where you are at any given time. If he's not sitting at your feet, he'll be lying down, right outside your door.

"I want a dog who is medium to high energy who will keep me active."
Couch potato inside, but always ready for any kind of action.

"I want a dog who is a little sharp. Not all happy and doofy and "yay I love everyone." Not necessarily protective ..."
- Watch your lines, but it should be easy getting exactly that. These guys are very tolerant, but are very selective when it comes to sharing affection with outsiders. As far as protectiveness is concerned, in general, the breed has softened over the years. If protection is important, again, choose your lines carefully.

"I preferably not want a breed that is known to be excessively barky."
- They only bark when necessary.

"I want a Dobe, and that's what I keep coming back to. Every time I think about it, that's the perfect temperament."
- Another gr8 breed (we had a Dobe, too). If you don't like shedding, you might not like the Dobe. Those needle-like hairs get in everything!!! These days, health is also a big concern. That aside, generally speaking, I found the Dobe to be overly velcro-y to the point of being needy; the Bouvier tends to be (IMO) a better balanced dog, overall.

Every "bad" Bouvier I've ever come across has been a result of poor breeding and/or poor owners.

I'm not on this forum too often, but if you need any more information about the breed, feel free to PM me.

Good luck in your search!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I probably don't know enough about them to suggest them strongly, but what about a standard Schnauzer?

Last edited:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Dobes do shed, but it's not the same as other short coated dogs - I never have to worry about mine with clothes or furniture, because they simply don't shed enough for it to be noticeable. ;)

noludoru

Bored Now.
I have honestly never seen a Poodle or a wirehaired coat that was well kept and groomed to be greasy. Labradoodles also have wire coats like a terrier, at least the F1 generation does.

Could look at the Portuguese Water Dogs. The two I've known were agility dogs and were not big on barking but that's only anecdotal.
It's a slick, almost greasy texture even when it's freshly bathed. It's just a texture that freaks me out. I want to be able to pet my dog. Most of the doodle mixes I have met have had the crimped but soft coat.

I LOVE PWDs, but they are way too small. I forgot to mention that my minimum is going to be 60lbs. Preferably I'll be looking at 75+.

Apart from the Velcro dog thing, you want an Afghan hound!
If you don't want to bathe every two kr three weeks then you want an Afghan hound in a puppy clip or even a slightly longer clip.
This is a definite idea if you can get me in with an Affie rescue or something.

Dobes do shed, but it's not the same as other short coated dogs - I never have to worry about mine with clothes or furniture, because they simply don't shed enough for it to be noticeable. ;)
Yep. I am living with a Vizsla and her shedding is so inoffensive to me. It's wonderful. I just don't like hair on things, and they still shed. I'm not completely ruling them out, but at the same time if I'm going to have hair I want it to be easy to manage.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
But I would feel kind of bad for seeking out a designer mutt.
Why? I'm mean.... If it was bred by someone who health tested their dogs, researched their breedings, bred few and far between etc etc etc, ticked all the boxes.., then why not.

I also agree with you on the wire coat feeling.... I don't like the feel of them, they always feel dirty, no matter what. I like the look a lot, but actually don't like the feel, and think they look smelly!

I can only assume vizsla hair is like gsp hair, and it's small and inoffensive but good god it winds its way in to the fibres of things!

I don't think dobes are as course, so might be better. But short hair isn't always easy hair!

I also like giant schnauzers! They are fun dogs... And they don't look smelly either, but I don't *think* I've ever touched one!

I like clipped old English sheepdogs, but don't think they are 'sharp' like a dobe... But then I don't think doodles are particularly?!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Doodles are very alert-y, would they bite? I don't know but I lean towards probably. Either way it's a very common request with them for us to help curb the OMG a change! Must bark! They aren't exactly demanding in their barking but they notice changes and alert efficiently.

*It should be mentioned I get a lot more "medium" and golden doodles than I get of "giant" or labradoodles.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I third the Bouvier idea. Great dogs. Protective, or at least put up a good show. Very family orientated and love to be with the family. Mine barked, but I am pretty sure that is because they lived with Terriers and terriers bark at everything, even non existing things. Have a stubborn streak, but easy to train. Mine all have had a pretty good prey drive. Heck Emme went after a Beaver last weekend. She called off it really easy though. Oh, and Bouviers have the best Bouve Bounce. Good with people. Aloof and do not really seek out strangers attention, but would not refuse it either. Emme is more friendly to people that what are other Bouvers did. They are good off leash. My parents live on 220 acres and they are not fenced in. They stick to the inside of the property line. Emme did go through a car chasing phase, but the was easily corrected my training, and when she chased the cars she never went on the road. But when we did go off the property like to our cabin in BC they stick close when we are going hiking or to the beach.

Members online

No members online now.