Good breed for apartment life?

If I had a dog when I was going to school full time it would have been INSANE. I was either in class or working, plus half of the fun of college is partying and hanging out with your friends, and as much as a love dogs, my life has changed a great deal in the past 5 years since adding Wally (and all the rest) to the family. They're my kids. I'm tied down. I can't bring a change of clothes to work and go straight from there to the clubs. I can't get wasted and just spend the night on whoever's couch because I need to come home to my dogs.

Personally I would spend those 2 years focusing on your studies and having fun, maybe borrowing Padfoot for long weekends, but don't tie yourself down. Enjoy yourself for a little while.

And for when you get out of school . . . Greyhounds are the easiest ;)

IcyHound

In collage I had a Great Pyrenees. I still miss her uber uber lots. My afghans are also great apartment dogs as is my dobie since she believes that her place is by my leg or even better in my lap.

Kayota

Morphine - I have no friends to party with, LOL. I'm a very anti-social person - I prefer a night playing with my rats to going out and partying.

Hillside

Original Twin
Another thing you have to consider is that a lot of the apartments that DO take dogs also tend to be not in the greatest neighborhoods.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm partial to chis as well ;) My chis are very active, and love to go on hikes and walks.

If you're leaving for college, I would definitely recommend holding off on getting a dog for a year or 2. I decided to have dogs when I was a junior in college, and I sometimes regret not waiting even longer. They're such a big responsibility for a busy student.

Most apartments have weight limits and breed restrictions. For example, here is the "banned" list for my apartment complex:

Breed restrictions apply. II. Restricted Breeds Doberman Chow-Chow Siberian Husky Saint Bernard Shar Pei German Shepherd Great Dane Doberman Pinscher Alaskan Malamute Akita Rottweiler Pit Bull (also known as- American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier),All "mixes" of the above breeds are considered restricted.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Another thing you have to consider is that a lot of the apartments that DO take dogs also tend to be not in the greatest neighborhoods.
That's not the case here. Most apartment complexes welcome dogs in Orlando. They only ones that don't allow pets that I've even seen are the lower income complexes.

Kayota

I used to be like "ewwww chihuahuas" but I've met a few since then and find them excellent dogs when they're actually calm.

Lizzybeth... I have no desire to socialize with the a-holes around here, they aren't worth my time. I'll have my girlfriend, my dog [maybe], my rats and a few other friends as well.

My mom is getting on my nerves, she keeps saying "You HAVE to take Padfoot when you're 18!" I can't I can't I can't asfdghgjh D:

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
That's not the case here. Most apartment complexes welcome dogs in Orlando. They only ones that don't allow pets that I've even seen are the lower income complexes.
Same in the Tampa area - some of the really nice apartment complexes take large breed dogs. Of course, there are some bad ones too, but I had a nice one that allowed me to have 2 large dogs and it was in a nice area. I had the dogs before college, so it wasn't an option to find a place that took dogs - it was a necessity and I just worked very hard to afford them. But they are/were my hobby, so the time issue didn't exist (I didn't need to experience the "college experience" - I was happy living alone, training my dogs and meeting other dog people at the park).

corgi_love

Yeah, my stepmom says most apartments around here have a 30 lb limit... so Greyhounds, Danes and my big Padfoot are all probably not options. Paddy is 53 lbs :(
Wait.. So you were considering getting a 150 pound or more Great Dane, rather than taking Padfoot at 53 punds? I'm confused.

I third Chihuahua. My little Lucy, though very inbred...and a bit deformed..She loves walks, and exercise and could go for hours.

I would like to say, a small breed from a rescue would be your best bet. They can tell you their personality, and energy level. My Peanut would be a perfect dog for you (We guess Chihuahua/Rat terrier). He is perfectly fine hanging out alone while I am away, and calm and very quiet (he hardly ever barks), and then he can be extremely energetic when its time for walks or play. He has a great apartment personality.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The issue here is you can find really nice, student oriented (necessity with roomates) apartment that'll allow two SMALL pets. The ones that take big dogs are all old and meant more for families with a master bedroom and such.

The roomates and I didn't want to deal with all that.

Most places DON'T take dogs at all.

Having a dog in college is hard. It's doable... if you're crazy like me and basically ALL your free time is focus on your dog. However, I think it is WELL worth it. I was miserable dogless at college.

Last year (well, sophomore year) I had planned on a greyhound (best apartment dog and I'm interested in lure coursing and sight hounds in general) but could never find an apartment to take it. I settled on an adult (almost 4 year old papillon). I've been in college 3 years BEFORE getting the dog and in the apartment almost a year. I know many people say not to get a dog in college, but just in my complex I know several fantastic dog owners. I have some friends with a beagle that really are not.

My apartment has a lot of chihuahuas and chi mixes as well as some rat terriers, an italian greyhound, toy fox terriers, and a maltese. Most paps would work well in apartments too but Summer is a TON of work in an apartment. When I'm home she's not nearly as much work because she has room to run. BUT she forces me to get out and get exercise. I'm not very social either. There's also a lot of opportunities on campus to do things with other students with dogs, so I'll be utilizing them next year too. It's help if she didn't have separation anxiety and wasn't the highest energy dog I've ever been graced to know, but oh well. ;)

ETA: I would never get a puppy while I was in college. I can't even imagine going through that. o_O

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
My roomate bought Cider at Xmas 4th year uni. I'm glad she waited till then. She wasn't mine but I ended up having to take care of her a lot. She was time consuming as heck. A constant distraction some times good sometimes not so good..

I think that if she'd been bought any earlier it might have screwed up my studies honestly. And, well, we graduated and she didn't want an animal anymore.. so I ended up taking Cider home anyhow..

Members online

No members online now.