Dog Carting

good_dog

Is anyone else into carting, driving, or sledding with their dogs?

I'm trying to get a group together here. I just got my first driving cart for Taz today.

Beth

good_dog

Have you tried it yet?

I had Taz between the shafts training for the first time yesterday. He doesn't really have any idea what's going on, but doesn't seem to mind the cart. Of course, he's still a LOOOONG way from pulling while I ride! ;)

Beth

Last edited:

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
We do dogsledding, bikejoring, and hopefully this next winter skijoring. I retired my leader this spring, so I'm not going to skijor until I have another command leader.

Snark

Mutts to you
Once the weather cools down, I'm gonna work with the boys on scootering (don't get enough snow here for dogsledding or skijoring and I can't afford the wheeled carts, although I sure wish I could.)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I thought about carting for my berner but she is only 5 months old and have heard that they have to be about 15 months before you can start training for that. That looks like fun though and I think she would enjoy it.

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
You can start training her now. No pulling, just getting her use to the harness, and walking with the harness on. I know huskies and berners grow at different speeds, but my pups start with the harness at 8 weeks, and get put into the team at 6 months.

I do dogsledding and scootering and carting (not the obedience style typically seen with bernese mountain dogs, but the spring and fall training for my huskies). Since I'm in Chicago right now and only have one of my boys with me I'm only doing scootering but soon I'll be starting to train my bf's male AmBull for scootering as well. When I go back in Mid-January I'll be racing with my 4-dog team.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i REALY want to Sulkie (2 wheeled cart) with my dane, but he has to be 2 before i start letting him pull any kind of weight and hes currently only 1 week old lol, so i have PLENTY of time.

Members online

No members online now.