Is Canidae All Life Stage OK for my pup?

Dirk

Hi! This is my first post.

My puppy's name is Dirk. My son named him that because his favorite basketball player is Dirk Nowitzki.

My puppy is 10 weeks old, 7.7 lbs. and he is a lab mix. We don't know what the mix is because his litter was abandoned somewhere and we got Dirk through a dog rescue. The vet thinks he may have some terrier in him. We've had him for two weeks.

I have been feeding him Royal Canin Large Breed Puppy Food. I read in some threads that Canidae is great and that the All Life Stage food is good for puppies too. Two days ago, I ordered a bag of All Life Stage. Yesterday, we took Dirk to the vet for the first time. He told me that we should be feeding him puppy food. I asked him about Canidae All Life Stages but he didn't know anything about it. Well, Canidae is on it's way so I'm not sure what the best choice is for him.

Can someone give me advice? It's my first dog.

Thanks!

showpug

Canidae is an excellent choice...

To be politically incorrect...vets know nothing about canine nutrition! Get the Canidae!!!

Agreed!

Canidae All Lifestages is fine for your pup, just feed accordingly. :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Canidae can be fed to large breed puppies. Large breed puppies should not be eating regular puppy food, they should eat the all life stages or large breed puppy (canidae just has the all life stages and senior formulas). I fed my purebred lab canidae while she was still maturing.

darkchild16

We are Home.
thats what ive used on my dogs since i brought them home at 6 weeks and 3 months. And Tytus has never had a health issue waht so ever. And with booger who was in terrible condition when we got her, it helped her immencly. If you saw pics of her then adn now you wouldnt recognize her.

So yes stick to it. and whioever said vets know nothing about food they are right. They told us to put her on science diet:rolleyes:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
oh don't worry about vets not hearing about the canidae, eagle pack, and innova products either. I took our lab to one vet and they asked what she was fed and how much and when I told them they freaked out and told me that I was underfeeding her (she got 2 cups of Innova Evo a day). They sent me home with a free bag of science diet, which went immediately into the trash.

Dirk

Thanks to all.

My vet recommended Purina, Iams and Science Diet because they have a lot of research behind them. I wonder if these companies develop relationships with vets like pharmaceutical companies do with people doctors. My wife's friend works in a doctors office and they get fed great catered food regularly by pharmaceutical reps.

Herschel

Thanks to all.

My vet recommended Purina, Iams and Science Diet because they have a lot of research behind them. I wonder if these companies develop relationships with vets like pharmaceutical companies do with people doctors. My wife's friend works in a doctors office and they get fed great catered food regularly by pharmaceutical reps.
Pretty much. Vet's get all of their nutrition education from these corporate trash-producers. Very similar to the situation in the medical field, although, as a med. student I really can't object to free stuff. :)

Go with Canidae--it's a great food. We've been feeding it since we first got our puppy at 8 weeks with no problems at all.

If you've been feeding Royal Canin he might not like the Canidae at first. Try putting down the food for 15 minutes, then picking it up and serving it at the next meal time.

showpug

Thanks to all.

You are absolutley correct. I worked in a veterinary clinic for 5 years. Every few months we would have nutrition seminars to educate the staff and the veterinarians...I'll give you one guess as to who did the educating? You guessed it, Hills Science Diet reps, and yes, they bought us lunch and gave us tons of free food and incentives to sell their brand of dog/cat food ;)

Members online

No members online now.