Why red meat (ie beef) used so seldom?

Demonic Angels

always raining
I've been doing a lot of searching around for a food for my cocker. I noticed yesterday that she really likes the Evo 95% canned beef, so I started looking around for a kibble that had beef as the main ingredient. The only one I can find is the Evo Red Meat. Why is that? Is there something I should know about beef not being good for her?
I also just read Dogtor J's thread. I've never had a problem with my cocker having allergic reactions to her foods, but of course, now I'm concerned. Is beef not a good choice?
Thanks

weylyn

As a raw feeder I can tell you that red meat is much more expensive than (most) white meats. Chicken is the cheapest thing on my list, usually averaging around .60-.70c per pound (that's whole bird, not leg quarters which can be about .30c per pound). Red meat is usually double that. IMHO, that's why you see a lot more chicken kibble than beef-based kibble.

My dog just changed to Innova Red Meat and LOVES it... so far we have not had any problems with it.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Solid Gold also makes a beef-based formula. It's quite low in protein though, I wouldn't feed it without additional supplementation of fresh or at least canned meat.

Abbygirl

Mordy said:
Solid Gold also makes a beef-based formula. It's quite low in protein though, I wouldn't feed it without additional supplementation of fresh or at least canned meat.
is that the barking at the moon?

Members online

No members online now.