Fred is on crate rest.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Been to the vets and we have established he has a shoulder injury :( anti inflammatories and rest for a week then see if its any better.

Fingers crossed it heals quickly and we don't need to think about X-rays or the like.

Eta - this is going to be a looooooooooong week.

7 month old gsp crated for a week. Urghhhh! I have stocked up on peanut butter and wet food to stuff kongs.

Any other ideas?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Kestrel had a shoulder injury and crate rest for 10 days about the same age. We survived with the use of loooooots of treat dispensing toys and I got reeeally good at stuffing Kong toys, too. LOL He was fine after the rest, too. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Many fast healing vibes sent for Fred. No fun when pointer has a running injury, there is no fun in that at all. I am sorry.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Kestrel had a shoulder injury and crate rest for 10 days about the same age. We survived with the use of loooooots of treat dispensing toys and I got reeeally good at stuffing Kong toys, too. LOL He was fine after the rest, too. :)
That is reassuring.... I'm trying to think what toys we have that can be modified! We have two kongs so can get them stuffed and frozen in rotation... He's going to be a fat puppy!

I'm a bit gutted! I don't want it to turn into something long term... The vet was great, but did say sometimes these can develop into other things. Which is of course all I heard now!

Toller_08

Sorry to hear Fred is injured. :-(

Not sure if you believe in Chiropractic or what you have out there for animals, but Journey had a shoulder injury not very long ago and with a couple of adjustments and rest, she's good to go now. Mind you, her's wasn't severe, but enough to make her lame on one front leg off and on. My dogs see their Chiropractor pretty regularly because they're hard on themselves and there is nearly always visible improvement afterward. :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Sorry to hear Fred is injured. :-(

Not sure if you believe in Chiropractic or what you have out there for animals, but Journey had a shoulder injury not very long ago and with a couple of adjustments and rest, she's good to go now. Mind you, her's wasn't severe, but enough to make her lame on one front leg off and on. My dogs see their Chiropractor pretty regularly because they're hard on themselves and there is nearly always visible improvement afterward. :)
There's nothing like that here! The other half sees them on a regular basis as he's awful, and I tend to call them his hippy voodoo witch doctors.... Lol

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Kes got all of his meals through toys to avoid becoming pudgy - I also used canned pumpkin and plain yogurt in place of the peanut butter layers in our kongs.

You can also teach some fun stationary tricks using the clicker to help take the edge off: nose touches, roll a ball with his nose, pick items up, etc.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
In addition to the above, simply being conscientious about rewarding for calm behavior. Anything you can get him to chew is good too, both to keep him busy and as self-soothing behavior.

Good luck.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Thanks. I've introduced the clicker to click for calm and he's instantly laid down and chilled out.

Funny, because he's happy to go in his crate, but when he HAS to be in it.... Nope! We had just started leaving it open for him nearly all the time though.

Members online

No members online now.