Wow, grains?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I was gifted a bag of wellness simple solutions and started mixing it in my dogs food. Today both the mals have typical kibble bloat, obsessive water intake, and loose stool. This doesn't shock me. What did was the horrific behavior of Sloan today, she has wild eyes and is being a demon. Grabbed my hand during tug and wouldn't let go so when I got her to out I told her to platz, which she never ignores, and she began screaming and shaking her tug and bucking like a bronco. She also jumped to nip at me again when at the start line. She's a crazy dog anyways but today is just over the line, plus the panic panting and crazy eyes which are not common for her.

I talked to my boss who saw the change too and we were trying to think of what's new and all I can think of is the grain in the food, she's always been a grain free dog, could this be similar to a little kid and an evil candy high?

Anyone experienced this before?

kady05

I haven't with dogs, but with horses, yes. My horse could never be fed sweet feed (aka grain), it turned him into a fire breathing monster!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Not personally, but at my old boarding/daycare place, we had an absolute insane nut of a dog. Everyone else was chalking it up to the fact that he was a young lab mix. I chalked it up to him being fed Ol' Roy. I convinced the owners to switch, because they were about ready to invest in medication anyway and wouldn't you know it, by about a week and a half on a good food (I think it still had grains, but was a light years beyond OR), the dog began to calm down and actually be enjoyable.

What did was the horrific behavior of Sloan today, she has wild eyes and is being a demon. Grabbed my hand during tug and wouldn't let go so when I got her to out I told her to platz, which she never ignores, and she began screaming and shaking her tug and bucking like a bronco. She also jumped to nip at me again when at the start line. She's a crazy dog anyways but today is just over the line, plus the panic panting and crazy eyes which are not common for her.
I don't really have much input, but I have to say that this cracked me right up.

Panzer has been on raw for a few weeks now, and was on Orijen previously. While Orijen isn't loaded with grains, it is still a kibble with carbs.

However, now that you mention it, we haven't had a case of the lost-brain crazies (sounds soooooo similar to Sloan) since I switched over, but she hasn't really been in the high arousal situations that provoked it before.

It's been too icy and crappy out for jump work lately, which has been the trigger in the past. I'm curious now though if she'll maintain more of her sanity on raw.

elegy

overdogged
Huh. I've been wondering the opposite with Steve. Since he's been raw fed and mostly grain free (he gets grain in treats, pizza crusts, etc), he's been even more high, more surly with other dogs, harder to deal with. I've been wondering if the high amount of protein he's been getting has been contributing.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I've found my guys are doing better on a food with grains. They seem more lively and energetic? - though that sometimes may not be a good thing. lol

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Maybe grains subdued him! :p thanks guys!

This is all very interesting! I will definitely go back to raw/dehydrated after this. I like my only slightly insane dog. This dog is down right nasty!

Argon turns into a crazed DA nightmare if he gets either grains or dye. He goes from being a lazy bones to stalking the house and trying to play kingturd on walks. Not fun.

Of course, grains also aggravate his epilepsy, so I'm pretty strict.

monkeys23

Oh noes! Its like a two year old kid on sugar with shark teeth, lol.

I noticed a big change in the mental clarity of my dogs when I went to prey model raw. Lily has is a lot better at thinking instead of blowing over the top in drive, but at the same time they got more intense/focused/easier to get in drive. If that makes sense, I feel like I butchered the wording.

Oh dear!That made me laugh though,sounds like a hyper kid with candy!
I have nothing else constructive to add unfortunately!

Members online

No members online now.