Good kibble?

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I know that there are tons of threads about this already but some are pretty old so information has changed.

My crew eats raw, but I'm looking to pick up a good quality kibble to use as treats or a meal when my schedule gets hectic.

I was feeding taste of the wild and they did okay with it but after the Diamond recall I'm a little weary of feeding it. I was thinking about picking up some Canidae but I've been told it's not the food it used to be - is this true?

Does anyone feed Timberwolf or Solid Gold?

Shadow945

The Diamond recall was for one specific food, and it was a long time ago. I've been feeding Taste of the Wild for months now with no problems. I would recommend sticking with grain-free foods..and foods that have meat as the top 5 ingredient. Taste of the Wild fits the bill, so I feed it...and it has at least 25% protein in all 3 of their formulas. Never tried Timberwold or Solid Gold though.

DanL

We feed raw and use Innova Evo Red Meat as a standby/supplementary food. The dogs like it and you don't need much of it as it's very rich.

sisco16

koda bear
Ive been feeding canidae for two years and they have no problem's on it so im not switching ive changed foods to many times I also give them innova once in a while to spice things up. But they really like canidae.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
We feed EVO to the dobes, and SG Hundenflocken to the corgi.

I wouldn't touch Canidae with a ten foot pole, now that they've changed their ingredients.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
PS - I think Timberwolf has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth, after it came out that they were lying about what was actually in their foods. My parents used to feed their cat food, but they stopped selling it because their bags were on backorder. (They now feed Wellness core, if you're curious. :) )

Ada's doing pretty well on the Solid Gold. All of their foods are mild mild mild though, so if you're looking for a nice tasty treat... there may be more palatable foods out there.

Romy

Taxiderpy
We're using TOTW wetland and prairie formulas and he does great on them. There is another food we're toying with ordering. The brand is Nature's Logic. They have a rabbit meal formula we feed our cat, it's the only food she does well on. There is a venison formula for dogs that they make, it's 38% protein. Not totally grain free because there is some millet, but here is the link to the ingredients and nutritional breakdown:

nature's logic kibble

And they also sell raw
nature's logic raw

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
PS - I think Timberwolf has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth, after it came out that they were lying about what was actually in their foods. My parents used to feed their cat food, but they stopped selling it because their bags were on backorder. (They now feed Wellness core, if you're curious. :) )

Ada's doing pretty well on the Solid Gold. All of their foods are mild mild mild though, so if you're looking for a nice tasty treat... there may be more palatable foods out there.
Are you feeding Evo RM?

Before switching to raw they were on Evo RM and it was giving Brawt some tummy issues. I don't think I'll have the same problems if I'm only feeding it as a treat or occasional meal. It looks like the Evo is still probably one of the best kibble available.

I really wish I could get my hands on some Orijen to try...

Boxer100

We now feed our boxer BLUE Wilderness, from Blue Buffalo. It is a formula high in protein and low in carbs. We switched recently to this brand after seeing the contents of the other generic foods. It is more expensive, but it is worth it.

Brattina88

I rotate foods, but right now I'm feed TOTW. I was concerned about it being a diamond product as well - but the dogs do so well on it I have to push those thoughts away and focus on whats in front of me. Recently we've been rotating TOTW and Natures Variety (or something like that - can't remember exactly :p) but they're doing better on TOTW. I like to think that diamond has learned from their mistakes. ?

Canidae is not the food it used to be. Or, at least for my dogs it wasn't! :mad:

elegy

overdogged
timberwolf is still around but there's no way i'd ever feed it. far too many issues.

right now my adult dogs are eating taste of the wild and doing well on it. the whole diamond thing is and will continue to be in the back of my head, but the dogs look good and i'm happy with it.

puppy steve is eating nature's variety prairie because that's what the breeder started him on and he'll probably stay on it. i've fed it to my adult dogs in the past and they did fine on it.

i wasn't that impressed with solid gold. i like the innova products and wellness core. i've not fed canidae since the reformulation, but that's not because of the reformulation. i've just had the dogs on totw instead.

I do raw, but when we go on vacation, or in a pinch, I will feed Orijen. I have found all of my dogs tend to get awfully gassy on Evo (current and previous), either formula (even though I still think it's one of the best foods out there).

EVO RM here. All three of mine would rather have it than raw poultry . . . go figure. When I give Bimmer chicken quarters or even turkey, he picks it up, drops it and looks at his bowl, then looks at me. Raw red meat is a different matter though, lol.

Members online

No members online now.