The dog musing/vent thread

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Harlow skipped breakfast this morning and took only 2 bites of dinner. She's also spent all day curled up in bed.

This is very abnormal behavior for her... Hopefully nothing serious.

So I'm seriously enjoying teaching. I know it's only been a couple classes and the workshop but I really really enjoy it so far. It's going really well, love the students and the dogs and I'm seeing a marked improvement in everyone in just these couple classes.

I have one women who's been struggling with her dogs drop for years, just a dog that wants nothing more than for you to tug with him and flat out refuses to drop the toy. We've working on it before and after class and she told me yesterday before she left that his drop is better than it's ever been.

The owner is also going to have me start assisting in her other classes as new ones start up and they want me to come in and learn how the daycare runs so that I can help with that if they need it too.

Things are starting to happen and I'm excited! Really really enjoying it and things are coming together.

Harlow skipped breakfast this morning and took only 2 bites of dinner. She's also spent all day curled up in bed.

This is very abnormal behavior for her... Hopefully nothing serious.
Hows she feeling today?

Grab

I actually don't have a Kong that's appropriately sized for the current dog who needs it (Brooks):yikes: I have a teensy one from Grimm's puppy days, but it's small enough to be a hazard for Brooks.

Hmm..now I need a Kong. He's not awesome at figuring out food toys, though, so I'm not sure how he'd fare..

ETA:aand, somehow commented in the wrong thread. I'm not sure how that even works.... sigh.

Dagwall

My new foster dog, Tony, started limping this afternoon. He's been fine since I brought him home last Friday and this morning. Get up for our afternoon walk and as soon as he hops off the couch he's limping, favoring his back right leg. He was still excited for a walk so I did take him and the limp became less pronounced as he walked but still there.

No clue what if anything happened. He's been with me or my brother all day long and we've seen nothing to explain a limp. Big cold front here today, a high of 30*, so it may be the cold. He's almost 8 years old so it may be arthritis aggrivated by the cold.

Hoping its nothing serious and he feels better soon. Makes me sad to see him hobbling around like this.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Just watched Glory Hounds on Animal Planet and cried no less than 5 times. I don't know if it's a series or a one time documentary...but Zora dying hit me so hard. And her sweet handler who just seemed like the nicest guy. Loved the show but I don't know if I could watch it again :(

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
Outlaw has been perfect so far that it's scaring me! He goes in the crate I command, no accidents, great on the leash, stops chewing with a simple no! Please tell me I have a phantom puppy and I'm dreaming! I thought lab puppies from hunting lines were crazy?!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Just watched Glory Hounds on Animal Planet and cried no less than 5 times. I don't know if it's a series or a one time documentary...but Zora dying hit me so hard. And her sweet handler who just seemed like the nicest guy. Loved the show but I don't know if I could watch it again :(
Watched it a few weeks ago. It came on again a few days later. I just couldn't watch it a second time.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams graduated from basic obedience this evening. :D Highlights of the night were him being the only dog that didn't bark during the class, not loosing focus even when other dogs were barking, not caring when I left him with an instructor (who had COOKIES) when I walked the rally course, and then he tried to eat a rally sign and then also knocked one over on our second run through because he has no hind end awareness. LOL

Oh, and he was once again called a Labradoodle by someone in another class. Wha....? He's curly, I get it, but really?

I have to pee so bad but Sham is laying in my lap. He's only cuddly about once a day around this time of night and I hate to end it. It's also his birthday for another 45 minutes so I guess I just have to pee the couch.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
If it's not one thing, it's another. Jari and Kimma were both AWESOME as demo dogs for a new set of classes where I teach, but when just left in their crates while I was working, they were ridiculous and acting like they've never seen other dogs before. Take them out to work and they were great (and of course I waited until they were quiet to take them out to demo - I'm not trying to make the situation worse). They BOTH had awesome training sessions afterwards (I can't believe Jari is already doing sequences!), and now Jari and Bubbles are sick with who knows what. Guess I won't be taking him to work with me tomorrow like I usually do, which means he will get like minimal exercise. Blah.

Grab

Oh, and he was once again called a Labradoodle by someone in another class. Wha....? He's curly, I get it, but really?
Oo, he and Brooks can be Doodle brothers. He's called a Goldendoodle about 3 out of 5 times I take him out. .....or sometimes an Afghan...

SpringerLover

Abrams graduated from basic obedience this evening. :D Highlights of the night were him being the only dog that didn't bark during the class, not loosing focus even when other dogs were barking, not caring when I left him with an instructor (who had COOKIES) when I walked the rally course, and then he tried to eat a rally sign and then also knocked one over on our second run through because he has no hind end awareness. LOL

Congrats! Also, it confuses me SO much when people call smooth faced dogs doodles... I don't think I've ever seen a smooth faced doodle. Ever.

I miss my Kaylee. So much. I have her collar sitting on the table and it's just awful. And every morning and night when I'm letting all the dogs in and out it feels like I keep forgetting someone.

It also doesn't help Hannah isn't doing well either and her time is really coming up fast.

I hate dogs.

If it's not one thing, it's another. Jari and Kimma were both AWESOME as demo dogs for a new set of classes where I teach, but when just left in their crates while I was working, they were ridiculous and acting like they've never seen other dogs before. Take them out to work and they were great (and of course I waited until they were quiet to take them out to demo - I'm not trying to make the situation worse). They BOTH had awesome training sessions afterwards (I can't believe Jari is already doing sequences!), and now Jari and Bubbles are sick with who knows what. Guess I won't be taking him to work with me tomorrow like I usually do, which means he will get like minimal exercise. Blah.
Manners Minder?

I'm hoping to bring one or both of the dogs to teaching next week and I'm kinda terrified. Traveler should be fine but Didgie is a screamer. She's been getting really good at trials but this will be.....different.

But I need to get them used to doing that so I think my face my be burning for a few days while teaching.

But that's awesome that they were such good demo dogs!

I have to pee so bad but Sham is laying in my lap. He's only cuddly about once a day around this time of night and I hate to end it. It's also his birthday for another 45 minutes so I guess I just have to pee the couch.
I HATE that! They are so cute, and comfy and finally not moving and you have to pee. The worst is when they do that in the middle of me cooking because burning down the house is....unfavorable.

Happy birthday Sham!! (And Squash!)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
A herd of 8-9 deer ran through our neighbor's field this morning while I had the dogs out.

Hurray for understanding boundaries, leave it, and recalls...

Thinking I may need to rig up a barrier to protect my newly planted fruit trees from deer nibbling over the winter...

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Yay for a great recall!

We were playing disc in the park with Talon the other day. David was throwing the discs as I took pics and at one point we had three people walking right past us 2 with dogs and Talon barely glanced at them, didn't faulter to do his "job" and come back to us.

Then we had a serious test. David through the disc and as soon as he did I looked were it was going and it was right at a loose dog. O_O Some kind of shepherd/husky mix I think. David was faster than me and immediately recalled Talon and, even though he obviously saw the dog, Talon recalled off the disc, and immediately came back to us! ^_^

This kind of makes up for him being such a jerk in the house lately. :p

I HATE that! They are so cute, and comfy and finally not moving and you have to pee. The worst is when they do that in the middle of me cooking because burning down the house is....unfavorable.

Happy birthday Sham!! (And Squash!)
Funny fact: Sham stayed up in his mom's business until a day later than all the other puppies, so they don't even share a birthday! I guess he had to leave a trail of destruction in his wake even before birth.

Members online

No members online now.