Reaction to Tape worm shot?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think Art had a bad reaction to a tape-worm shot the vets gave him.

We had to take him in because the other dogs in the house had tape-worms so we took him so he didn't get them. They took him back and gave him the shot and I heard him scream, though at the time I didn't think it was him because he just never screams like that for shots plus I misunderstood and thought it was the banana liquid looking stuff, but that is apparently for roundworms. So they brought him out and we learned it was him and that he didn't like that shot very much. :(

When the lady brought him out I asked him to jump into my arms, which he refused to do. That is really strange, but then I leaned down to pat him and he screamed again and flinched away. :( It was all really strange honestly, but I just put it off as he was being a baby as there was no blood and I looked at the area and there was no cut or anything.

Well I was petting him tonight and felt a weird lump/scab. I looked closer at it with a light and it was a nickel size scab that looked sunken in in the middle and it was green and puss filled. :( It's really nasty and he's very sensitive about it. He will let me and David touch it (obviously with great pain), but he won't let anyone else near it without screaming.

We shaved all the hair around it and cleaned it out with some antibacterial stuff we had from a previous vet visit and put a wrap around it. We also gave him some of his doggy pain killers to help with the pain. I'm taking him to the vet first thing, but wanted to see if anyone has seen a reaction like this before?

It almost looks like a scab but it's really deep and sunken in. It's nasty. >_<

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The injection they give for tapeworms (Droncit?) STINGS. That is probably why he screamed so bad, and why he was so sore afterwards. I don't know if the injection itself caused the wound, but if he jerked and the needle was pulled badly...who knows.

I don't know if I would put a wrap on it. If there is puss, it needs to drain. The wrap may make things worse. Cleaning it and getting the hair off of it was a good idea. And a vet visit is defintely a good idea.

milos_mommy

sounds like it could be a staph infection or turning into an abscess? keep a close eye on it.

I didn't even know there WAS a tape worm shot and when I was this title I was so freaked out for some reason...why wouldn't they just give wormer??

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
sounds like it could be a staph infection or turning into an abscess? keep a close eye on it.

I didn't even know there WAS a tape worm shot and when I was this title I was so freaked out for some reason...why wouldn't they just give wormer??
I thought that too lol we always just gave Drontal tablets for tapes. Didn't know there were other options.

Otherwise I'm in agreement with blackrose.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I too have never heard of an injection for tape.. Cider and Moo kept reinfecting each other with tape, but I wormed them in a normal fashion and got rid of it..

Dogs need to ingest a host in order to get tapeworm (ie. either they are hunting or have fleas). So we don't usually treat all the pets unless they are all hunting or have fleas.

I think it's weird that they used an injectable but I would report it-- the company may compensate you for any treatment needed.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
When renegade had a reaction to a vaccine, the vet provided treatment free (ie a day of hospitalization, shot of steroids, time on oxygen, etc) and any concurrent visits for it were free of charge (another steroid shot and the exam). Not sure if that was general practice or just my vet, but may be the case for you too.

I hope it turns out to be nothing too serious!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So the vet took a look at it and a sample and everything seems ok. We got some antibiotics, but I haven't given it to him because the antibacterial spray seems to be doing the trick and it looks much better now. It's now pretty much just a scab and seems to be healing pretty well, whatever it is. So I don't know where he got it from, though I still suspect the shot was the cause, but it seems to be getting better. I am going to keep an eye on it for a while and if it's I don't see a lot of progress in a week or so he'll go back to the vet.

Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts! ^_^

The injection they give for tapeworms (Droncit?) STINGS. That is probably why he screamed so bad, and why he was so sore afterwards. I don't know if the injection itself caused the wound, but if he jerked and the needle was pulled badly...who knows.

I don't know if I would put a wrap on it. If there is puss, it needs to drain. The wrap may make things worse. Cleaning it and getting the hair off of it was a good idea. And a vet visit is defintely a good idea.
Thanks for the advise, I got a chance to read these a while ago but I wasn't able to respond until just now. I took the wrap off when I read and he went to the vet already.

I didn't honestly know there was a shot for it either. That's why I was so suprised when they told me it was a shot after it was given!

Dogs need to ingest a host in order to
get tapeworm (ie. either they are hunting or have fleas). So we don't usually treat all the pets unless they are all hunting or have fleas.

I think it's weird that they used an injectable but I would report it-- the company may compensate you for any treatment needed.
Yeah....he's a poo eater some times >_< Not very much honestly, but he will every once in a long while. :rolleyes:

The vet did the follow up free :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Just a quick note - oral antibiotics ate best if you're worried about an infection under the skin (or traveling). The topical is good if it is only, well, topical. Lol If he's doing well with just the spray that's awesome, but if you're at all worried about the infection spreading or causing issues under the skin, I'd do the round of oral antibiotics anyway.

Glad he's feeling better!

milos_mommy

I didn't honestly know there was a shot for it either. That's why I was so suprised when they told me it was a shot after it was given!
Wait...they told you he was going to be given wormer...they took him into the back, gave him an injection, THEN told you? I would be $&^$ing living.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Neat, never heard of a shot for tapeworms. We just give espirantel PO.

Do you know what they injected him with?

Members online

No members online now.