I know we've looked at this before

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Do you guys think it's the way they're standing or do you think a lot of the breeds were more bum high than nowadays?

ACooper

Do you guys think it's the way they're standing or do you think a lot of the breeds were more bum high than nowadays?
I noticed that, but wrote it off to the photography angles/the way the dogs were standing......ESPECIALLY the doberman :eek: Ack, it look wretched, LOL

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Wow! Thanks for sharing that... I love reading about dogs in the past.

The chihuahua actually looks quite similar in the picture (page 96). In the description it says it was used as a performing dog because it's very intelligent and agile. lol maybe I should try starting a chi circus now ;)

And the papillon is a good ladies' dog ;)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That really is interested...some breeds look so much better, so breeds are already had started their decline: Bulldog, Fox Terriers with their board-flat fronts.

You know, it's funny. I had so many people tell me that Virgo couldn't have been pure Lab because she wasn't the boxy hippo shape with the Rottie-type head that we see so often today. And yet...

It surprised me that the doberman said "24in and 45lbs" Unless they mean a bitch, that is SMALL......and by today's standards, that is on the smallest end for a bitch LOL

I have to say, I like the looks of dobes NOW better than then. They look much more sleek today. I don't mean the crop, I really don't care for the long crops of today, I mean the dog's build in general looks more sleek, athletic, and fit today.
Ah, well. My first thought was that today's Dobermans look downright fragile by comparison. The old Dobe looks a lot more formidable to me than a modern Dobe, better bite, stronger bones, better center of gravity, stronger, probably a good bit more agile and faster, too.

You know, it's funny. I had so many people tell me that Virgo couldn't have been pure Lab because she wasn't the boxy hippo shape with the Rottie-type head that we see so often today. And yet...

Well, Smkie said, from Day One, that Virgo looked like a grand, old fashioned working type Lab :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yup. :) She was standing sort of funny in that shot, really letting her back sag. She had an overly long back anyway but most of the time had a level topline. She wasn't happy with having to stand still while I took pictures, we were on our way down to the lake and by golly, she wanted to swim, not pose!

Well that old standard does say the Lab should be long! No one can deny that Smkie knows her field hunting dogs :)

Like the guy in the book said, "it ain't braggin' if you really done it."

Members online

No members online now.