Introducing pup to older dog....

jimmy

Hi all, have a question about introducing two Dog’s, at the moment I’m looking after my girlfriends 9 week old Lap-pit mix Female and we’re trying to introduce her to my girlfriends other dog a very old (I think she’s like 13 or so) she’s a female hmm Border collie I think, she has a very strong bond with me and my car lol.

Now we have read up on the best why to introduce them, the first time went well enough BUT the second time didn’t go so well and we figured that it was because Laika the old dog saw me get out of my car with the pup and we’re pretty shore that annoyed her (and we did make the mistake of letting them meet head on which I understand is not a good idea).

Anyway today they met again no car in sight and the older dog was a little aggro (I had the pup at first) not to bad and no real aggression from the older dog just sort of saying to the pup go away don’t bother me.

So then we swapped dogs and Laika the older dog calmed down straight away with me having her, she seemed fine with girlfriend having the pup and seemed to take to the pup with much more ease.

We get the feeling that Laika is jealous of me having the pup we really need to make this work (both dogs are my girlfriends) so there gonna have to live together soon as I have things to do blar blar blar.

So is this ok to maybe swap between dogs when there meeting, we are taking it slow and following the rules as best we can she’s good with her dog and understands body languish I’m also learning fast so we have it down pretty well (I hope) please feel free to add anything that might help..

I just thought it was, well not weird but I little odd that Laika was cool when with me and not her owner.

Any thought most welcome and damm the pup is growing fast and learning quickly along with wearing me out, it really is a full time job but I’m happy to do it I have Laika today so some piece and a good nights sleep..

Thanks for reading. This site is top notch I cant stop reading up on things it feels like the hole dog thing has taken over my thinking….roof rrof..

Ilyena

Someone else might have better ideas for you as I'm by no means any expert on this, but I'll share the story anyway as it's somewhat related.

When I first got my puppy we were also dogwatching my aunt's older dog on a nearly daily basis. It turned out that the old dog would not stand my puppy's playfulness and rudeness at all, so we had to keep them constantly separated with babygates. One dog in the kitchen, one in the rest of the house. Sure we took them for walks together and let them first meet on neutral ground, but I don't think that worked as well as them having no choice but to live in the same house for most of the day. The babygates definately seemed to help them to get used to each other without getting their space invaded too much too soon. It took over a year before we could start leaving them together in the house and I had almost given up hope it would ever work but they're best friends now, they just needed time to adjust (and for my pup to grow up and stop being silly).

jimmy

Hej: Thanks for the reply, that is one idea that might have to be done, its early day's still so we will keep trying.

My girlfriend got the pup because she's sure Lajka the old dogs not going to be around much longer she has had a lump removed from her neck but now there everywhere (she's not in pain) and seems happy so I was against the idea to be honest and getting a high energy dog I also did'nt really agree with not that I now much about dogs but I thought it a little to soon I'm sure Lajka will live for a while yet. Oh well.

What we can try is that she will have both dogs at night then I'll take the pup during the day..oh will that keep her up at night.

Thanks for the idea.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Welcome to the forum! :D

First of all, Laika (I love that name) was most likely better with you than her owner, because she was guarding her owner. I recommend introducing Laika to the puppy on neutral territory (a safe, fenced in area; your house; anywhere besides her house/yard; etc). If they must be leashed, keep the leashes loose. As long as Laika is not actually biting the puppy, allow her to growl and set boundaries. She is going to help you tremendously in teaching the new puppy manners and bite inhibition. :) Take them on short walks together (as puppies shouldn't be walking too far), and make sure they each get plenty of individual attention.

I HIGHLY recommend crate training the puppy now! Get a small crate just big enough for her to stand up and turn around, or a large crate with a divider so that you can move the divider as she grows. Crates are a God-send for potty training, and make sleeping much easier. Never let her out of the crate when she's whining, only when she's calm and relaxed. Feed her meals, give her cookies and chewies, and lots of short sessions in the crate so that she sees it as a comfortable, positive place to be. I recommend getting a small exercise pen or a baby gate to keep the dogs seperate in the house, when they can't be directly supervised or when Laika has had enough of the puppy.

My Border Collie (who is also a bit strict... they tend to be) growled at Fozzie non-stop when I brought him home at 9 weeks. If Fozzie walked by, Gonzo growled. I made sure that each of them had individual, seperate time, but I also let them work things out between them. I made sure that the time they spent together was as positive and fun as possible. By the time Fozzie was 12 weeks old, they were the best of friends. ;3 The growling made me feel bad for Fozzie, but that's just how dogs communicate, and how they teach puppies to behave.

bubbatd

Most adults will accept pups unless they are mauled to death !! Don't punish the adult dog if they are trying to correct ! This is how pups learn , Just be aware of what is going on .

jimmy

Hi again a little update, and a thank you for the advise....ok things are going well and both dogs are now at the girlfriends house.

Lajka has taken the roll of mother and will tell the pup off if she's being a pain but no aggression or biting...

Lajka will always jump on the bed at around 5 in the morning for a little sleep and she even let the pup on the bed and they both chilled out.

So that seems to be sorted and you can see the pup gets it and understands Lajka's top dog. We done all off the advise given, it took 2 weeks so we're very happy.

Thanks again will be back soon for more advise I'm sure......

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Ive always put the pup in a crate to let the adult go up, sniff and see them

puppies can be a bit crazy and run up and annoy older dogs lol

Members online