Brush & Bathe Questions..

noludoru

Bored Now.
I was going to get Middie and appointment at a groomer, because I'm a little bit leary of washing him, but after I got to see the prices.. I think it would just be a better idea if we wash him here. I've washed dogs before, and cats, so he can't be too hard, right?

I have two options for washing him here.. #1 a bathtub with a handle-thing on the side (to anchor a leash.. that's a good idea, right?) and #2 an open shower with a metal handle-bar going all the way around and one of those hose-things to wash him with. Pictures:

Please excuse the staining--we're actually not THAT dirty! It's our water. And, believe it or not, the shower (below) was thoroughly cleaned two or three months ago.

I've had several brands recommended for dog-shampoo on here.. and yet only have managed to remember Earth-bath. :rolleyes: Ah well. Anyhow, I'd like some suggestions. I need something that is going to CLEAN him, preferably something that smells good and works well on a wash-'n-wear coat. (With a good diet I think his coat will be a lot like a longer, finer, APBT coat. He's half-springer, and he got the fine-ness from his mom.)

As far as grooming goes, he's going to need a fairly thorough grooming. All of his winter coat was never groomed out for him, and my hands only have gotten so much, and he lives in a mud/dirt pit.

I've got no idea what I need there... suggestions?

After typing this up I'm starting to think going to a groomer is a better idea. Anyhow, I can use these suggestions for in the future at the very least.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I would suggest that you shell out this once for a groomer, so he can get a very thorough bath and blow out to get all the dirt and undercoat out. Then you can keep up on the maintenence yourself at home.

I prefer having a setup that includes a flexible hose, because trying to rinse a dog with a bucket just doesn't work. It's almost impossible to get the underside done right. That's one thing I love about my job, free access to the grooming room, so I have a full-on setup at my disposal. :D Sawyer actually just got a bath today in fact.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Yeah.,.. after spending two hours cleaning and thinking about it I decided that's the best idea. I even have the number of a groomer recommended by my friend. I still would love suggestions on shampoo and where to bathe, though.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Nolu--do you have any of those bath your own dog facilities near you? They have all the supplies, the space, etc.. but not as costly as a groomer since you are doing the bathing. We have one here called Dirty Dogs. :)

duncan15

im only saying this so that you feel better about spending the money. to thoroughly bathe a dog, yes it is harder than it seems. we dont just spray and rinse. first, the coat will be blown out. then the dog is bathed, if shedding, they use either shedding shampoo, or something with oatmeal to loosen the dead hair. sometimes conditioner depending on the dog. then the coat is blown out again to make sure the hair is out, and some brushing with a rake to get out any other hair. its a long, tiring process, so dont feel like you are wasting your money

and afterwards, if you keep up with it, you can probably get away with doing it yourself. as far as supplies, this really depends on your dog. If you do take the dog to a groomer, ask them to look at the dog's skin and make a recomendation for you. ask them about brushes as well and ask them to show you how to use them

I personally prefer bathing/grooming my dog myself. It allows her to remain in a familiar environment, save money, and most importantly, I get a chance to spend more time with her.

Of course, if I had absolutely no time and am having guests over, I'll take her to the groomer and fork out the money.

simplymisty

IL Dog Freak
I don't know if you have a petco near you or not but a lot of them have self bathing. I would agree to let a groomer do it at least the 1st time then do it yourself at petco if they have self bathing. They will have everything that you need and it's pretty cheap also.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'd got o a pro for the first time as well, if I were you. All that coat can be blown out, and the equipment at a professional groomign salon is just great. Besides - no mess for you to clean up!

I've always washed my dogs myself, but I WAS a pro for awhile - no sense paying someone to do what I can do myself.

bubbatd

I'd invest in a Furminator and stick to the shower ( which is like mine .... rust and all ! ) For shampoo I like Lambert Kay's Fresh N Clean . For your shower I recommend Gel Gloss ( liquid , not spray ) I get it at Lowes . It's for fiberglass and puts a waxy finish which helps . I was amazed how it worked on mine !!! If you can't find it ... check with a tub insert company . I had my tub redone and that's what they recommended . Decided to try it on the shower .

Members online