Ants?

GipsyQueen

Ugh, so I got home today and SO told me we had ants - but he had no idea where the heck they are coming from.

So today, I vacuumed and picked up the bean bag chair to vacuum underneath and there were like 20 ants under there. :yikes: gross. I have 2 plants, but those have never been a problem.

How do I find out where they are coming from - and how do I get rid of them (I would prefer naturally)?? Ugh, living on the 7th floor had it's perks.

Kilter

Step one is to put some sugar water, a few drops, where you see the ants. They'll eat it and then head back to the nest, so watch and follow. That'll let you know where they're coming in. Peanut butter might work too if they're not into sugar.

Step two, clean the area with vinegar so there's no ant trails anywhere. They follow scent left by others to/from food, so doing that will prevent them from going to old sources.

Then get some ant bait, it's cheap and pretty safe. You can put it in a plastic container and punch some holes in it for the ants to come and go if you're worried about pets. Put that right near the hole they're coming out of and keep it topped up.

They should be gone from the next within a few days, then you can seal the hole.

Look for any food/living sources for them and remove them too, so they don't come back.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Ants hate chalk so they tend not to cross chalk lines. If you have any way to get Diatomaceous Earth, you could put that around and it would dry the little buggers out.

GipsyQueen

THANK YOU!

I'm home all day tomorrow, so I'll have time to follow the little buggers. HOPEFULLY this won't turn into a bigger problem.

I lifted up the bean bag chair again just a few minutes ago and there were a bunch under there again... could they have a next in there? :yikes:

Fran27

I used terro here, it worked wonder, I don't know if you can find it in Germany though... they just take it to their hive and it kills them.

Doberluv

Check where your plumbing pipes enter andake sure the space around is sealed. They often come in where water is...under sinks and such.sugar will only work on sugar ants. Do u know what kind they are? Hope they aren' t carpenter. You might need an exterminator. I had those in the walls at my old house. You could hear them! Gross!

GipsyQueen

Check where your plumbing pipes enter andake sure the space around is sealed. They often come in where water is...under sinks and such.sugar will only work on sugar ants. Do u know what kind they are? Hope they aren' t carpenter. You might need an exterminator. I had those in the walls at my old house. You could hear them! Gross!
I have no idea... they're tiny. Nothing like the ants in the US. ;) They're only in our living room... so I doubt there's any plumbing there?

Lyzelle

I put cinnamon down where I saw our ant infestation. In their path and around the door. Bye bye ants.

darkchild16

We are Home.
We have the same issue gyps but they like my couch. We found out the were somehow coming in the one window high up because they dont get on it now that its not on that wall.

We've been inundated with those teeny little black ants this year -- and they BITE and it HURTS! I laid down a line of borax around the outside of the house and it's cut them down to nearly nothing.

darkchild16

We are Home.
We've been inundated with those teeny little black ants this year -- and they BITE and it HURTS! I laid down a line of borax around the outside of the house and it's cut them down to nearly nothing.
Morgan got like 10 bites from them on his shoulder because they just popped up one day. He was laying on the couch and all the sudden he SHRIEKED bloody murder and cried. Thats how we found out they got in the house :( :cry:

Its the rain here thats driving them in. I didnt think to try Borax.

GipsyQueen

Ugh I had a couple of ant bits down in Virginia. -.-

We removed the bean bag chair last night... and now they seem to be wandering around aimlessly. Can't find a path just yet.

darkchild16

We are Home.
We just drowned, bleached, torch fueled, cornmealed, and perimeter sprayed a HUGE pile that Jeremy fell into walking around the outside of the house. So if they survive it they must be superants.

Staff online

Members online