For those thinking about a malinois...

Kootenay

This is an interesting thread. I am very interested in the Malinois breed, so I have been doing a lot of research on them lately.

The one Mal I have really spent a lot of time with was a total doll. She was from pretty extreme parents, but for whatever reason she was a super mellow girl - don't get me wrong, she could turn it on in a second, but the rest of the time she was content to chill out, she was very cuddly and affectionate, all in all a lovely dog that really caught my interest.

So I've been searching for breeders that don't have the usual really extreme dogs, and I have found one that sounds really wonderful. Their dogs are still able to work of course, and have titles, but they are all house dogs, bred to be livable, have an off switch, and make good pets. Some litters are more focused on sport dogs and others are more focused on companion dogs. I've talked to MANY owners of pups and they all have only great things to say about their dogs. Obviously they still require a good deal of exercise and stimulation, but it sounds like they are content to relax the rest of the day.

Anyway, we'll see, but so far I'm really loving the sound of these particular dogs and would love to have one at some point.

Like all the Belgians, you just have to find the person breeding the dog you want.
you could change that to any breed. It's what I always tell people looking to get "X" dog to do whatever. Get out, find the dogs you like and then find out who's producing them. Get one from there.

Don't rely on words, descriptions, videos, the internet, websites, marketing etc. Get involved and get to know the dogs. You'll find what you're looking for.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I kind of gave up as there are no good breeders anywhere near me, not even in the same state & I wasn't approved for rescue (they said I didn't have enough info on my vet references :( & I didn't have enough personal references, I only listed one because I really don't have that many FRIENDS friends, other then online ones, you know? & the ones I did have I lost their numbers when my last phone died on me).

But I HAVE been approved for cattle dog rescue to foster a dog in need from them, so maybe I am meant to be a cattle dog person they say god sends ya where you are needed.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'm sorry about the mal rescue. :( you could keep an eye out and adopt from the shelter directly or look for rehomes on CL?

FWIW cattle dogs are very bad ass dogs. :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Naw, it's ok... I have been approved for tx cattle dog rescue to foster... Tx mal rescue wanted all this info like I was filling out a W4 or something :/ TCDR is much more "user friendly" so to speak & I have. Good rep with them, having adopted two dogs thru them (one curtesy listing from a shelter & one directly from them).

It was disappointing, I got the same response from tx collie rescue a while back before I adopted Buddy when I wanted to foster for them :(.

Kootenay

Like all the Belgians, you just have to find the person breeding the dog you want.
For sure! It just seemed like people could be a bit discouraging about finding a Malinois that that would suit what I want. With a bit of searching, however, it wasn't too hard. They aren't located particularly close to me but I'm pretty sure there are some dogs from them closer to my area that I could go meet. They are also particularly gorgeous, to top it off!

Members online