New discovery for Chulita's happiness

Doberluv

A while ago I posted a thread about Chulita and how she doesn't even want to go for walks anymore because of her blindness in one eye...how it affects her depth perception and how she shies at everything that moves and even things that don't move. She's better in the yard than on walks, but still...things spook her. http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169687

Well.....today, on my way home from Seattle, I stopped at Lowes to pick up a filter for my fridge and a bottle of mildew stuff for my flowers and I couldn't leave the dogs in the car. I'm super paranoid about leaving dogs in cars in the heat, regardless about windows being opened or shady spots etc. Sooooo, I took the dogs into the store and made sure it was okay with the checker.

She and Jose` trotted in exuberantly. She wagged her tail and trotted along out in front of me...and wanted to chit chat with people. SHE HAD A BALL. And she wasn't afraid of anything. They liked the cool, concrete floors, the people, looking at all the products for gardening:rofl1: and thought it was the most fun they'd had in a long time.

So, it seems novel places, maybe indoor particularly, tickle her fancy. So, maybe that's the kind of place to take Chulita for a walk and some fun. Weird dog...I can't quite make out why she would be 180 degrees opposite from how she acts trying to take a walk along the side walk. One thing...there isn't any wind blowing grass blades or leaves on bushes, making shadows. I think shadows are the worst culprit. She's even better in the yard when it's all shade. So, I'll just have to take her from time to time to one of these big hardware stores...Lowes, Home Depot, places like that. :p

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I wonder if her eyes are bothered by bright light? That would explain why she does better in shade at home, too! If it was something related to the light, doggie sunglasses might help...

Doberluv

Thanks. Yes, the sun definitely bothers her and makes her eyes water. We try to keep in the shade most all the time. I thought about some 'Doggles' for her and even tried some on her....which she was incensed about. lol...thought I was the meanest mom ever. But I think if I conditioned her to them more slowly, it might work. She's got this tiny head and the elastic strap that holds them on is strong and probably is uncomfortable. But you're right...sun in her eyes really bugs her and always has.

Doberluv

Thanks Jessie and Jackson'smom. Yes, she definitely likes going places. When I'm going to go see my daughter in Seattle, I usually take them with me. Sometimes let ex hubby babysit. Anyhow, I just mention her name and tell them in long sentences, "What do you think about going to see Emily?" And they get all bouncy happy, go into the laundry room where the harnesses and leashes are, stand by the garage door to go to the car. LOL. They really get charged up about Emily. When we get to her apartment, going up the outside stairs, I can let go of the leashes and they both make a bee line straight to her door and stand in front of it. All the doors look the same, but they know which one is her's. That's not really so amazing, but they knew the 2nd time they were at her apartment. lol. And they feel right at home there or anywhere really.

So, going to visit people or going to certain kinds of stores seem to be a big thrill for them. Of course, no wonder...they don't do cool stuff like agility or anything else really special. Just walks or playing around here or working on some of their little tricks and things. So maybe compared to their semi- boring lives, those things really seem special.

Members online

No members online now.