Camping with dogs tips!?

Red Chrome

So,

I am planning a camping trip with the dogs. However, I am going by myself, need a break from people and life. I am probably taking 5 dogs with me depending on when I go. My 3 and 2 I am dogsitting.

I am looking for tips about camping with dogs. They will all sleep in the tent with me and I have tie outs. So I have that covered.

Any tips appreciated!!!

SaraB

Lots of bones/bully sticks! My guys tend to go on extra security guard mode on camping trips so it helps to keep them busy. I also pack rescue remedy.

JPuckett1989

Slowly but surely......
I will be keeping an eye on this thread as well. We've camped once since we've got charlie, and both him and sadie go on high alert, from all the sounds, and not being able to see what it is, from inside the tent.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
When we camp we pack the real basics. Collapsable bowls, leashes, collars, harnesses, lots of toys and bones, a bed.

My dogs have never been very different on camping trips but when the mals were younger we took a big crate and had them share.

They were also on high alert the first time camping, I even packed a bark collar just in case this time, but since then they've chilled out pretty well, I think they can read dangers a bit more clearly now.

Don't skimp on the water. Arnold never was a huge water dog but these malinois drink like fish and we were blowing through water like crazy on this last trip.

I wish we'd taken our flexi leads this last time for some of our walks but if you're walking 5 dogs that would be insane. LOL

Mmm... yeah... nothing too exciting in our dog-pack. I'll keep thinking though.

Red Chrome

I plan on taking the ecollars for barking and for LoLa's recall,I worry with her.

I am wondering about the guarding behavior, both LoLa and Judge are pretty guardy at home and when traveling. I guess that's why I feel safe enough to camp by myself. I will have to watch them extra close.

I didnt want to take crates but might take a big collapsible one at least.

Kilter

I take two xpens and put them together and then the dogs have their 'run' as part of the camp setup. Usually bring some bones for them to work on, and do lots of walks.

I hate tie outs, but maybe it's because everyone I know that does that ties the dog so it can tangle up everyone within reach, causing a huge risk of falling into the fire.

Or the last camping trip, the dog's chains were really long and they'd be near their camper then fly out to the end of the chains barking and fussing if I walked the dogs by....

Red Chrome

I use the tie outs but they are always set so the dogs can't get tangled with each other and can't reach outside our camp.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I'd ditch the crate idea and just use tie outs. The ring around the tree ones are fantastic. Also I would caution against storing dog food in the tent or car. Bears and racoons are a PITA if they're hungry. Get a bear barrel and store it away from your tent.

If the camp site is primitive make sure to bring water from home so you don't end up with a car full of drippy butts.

Red Chrome

Didn't think of the bear barrel. That's a great idea! I have normal tie outs that will be fine I think.

MicksMom

Tags on all dogs with your cell phone number, extra collars with the same tag, copies of vaccination records, doggie first aide kit, POOP BAGS.

Water- to prevent tummy issues, take either bottled or some from home. As you use it, gradually refill it with the local water.

Heads up for those that use flexis- they may not be allowed. Here in NJ it states that dogs must be on leashes no longer than 6 feet at state parks. There wouldn't be a problem with tie outs in your camp site, but nothing longer than 6 feet is supposed to be used on the trails, etc.

ACooper

Honestly, you may want to rethink taking 5 by yourself. Camping is pretty stimulating for most dogs due to all the smells, sounds, and wildlife all nearly within 'reach' I'm not trying to be the party pooper, I just know soooo many dogs go missing on camping trips :( Just remember that even dogs with pretty solid recalls can lose their mind if they're chasing prey.

So the only tip I have for you is to be triple sure you can handle the trip alone.

Where are you camping? If I am camping somewhere remote enough to not have cell phone service, I get tags made with the closest park office number or number of the resort who owns the property. Something like "State Park Guest xxx-xxx-xxxx" in addition to their regular ID tag with all my home information.

If you are going to be doing a lot of hiking and it is more work/exercise than they are used to, bring extra food. Make sure you have extras of everything - tie outs, collars, leashes, bowls.

ETA: And yea, 5 dogs is a lot of dogs to camp with. If you're experienced camping with dogs it will probably be no big deal, but if you've never camped with dogs... you might want to think about it. I won't take more than 2 at once, and I prefer just one.

joce

5 is a lot by yourself. doesn't sound stress reducing to me honestly. Could you rotate two out at a time from home?

I would not do ring around the tree tie outs unless this is your own property your going to. They break down the tree and I can't see any park letting you use them. You pick up a leaf to start a fire and he the second degree.

There is a local state park we go to that is dog friendly and it's great. But dogs are not allowed in the lake or on the beach so make sure you'll have things to do to keep them cool enough. It's just to hot this year with my old crew- I don't even let Byron out sometimes in the hottest part of the day.

We have always had good water available. It make sure you have bowls.

First aid stuff because someone will hurt a pad or tear a nail.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
You couldn't pay me enough to go camping with 5 dogs tbh. I just got home after a weekend trip with all four dogs and I was thanking my lucky stars that I had a rental house with a yard!

Of course I also hate walking all four together, so it meant more trips to move dogs between car and house and back each day and that certainly would be even more difficult if I were trying to exercise or hike with all at once.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Dekka and I took 3 dogs around the US last year. We've taken 4 to trials and camped or moteled it. You couldn't pay me to take more with fewer humans, and larger dogs camping honestly. It would be doubtful to be stress reducing.

We've found camping recently without dogs, many people can't follow rules and have offleash dogs, that even when complained about the park hasn't done anything. May or may not be an issue. I couldn't contemplate going without crates, as if you need to do anything that dogs can't go with you can't leave them staked out. Lots of places also don't allow you to tie anything to trees.. which would include dogs so you'll need enough stake outs. 5 staked sounds like a mine field.

We had 3 staked out off an on while in the US and that was bad at times. Not sure how big your campsite is, but it would have to be huge to have 5 that way.

Red Chrome

I've gone camping before with dogs, its been awhile but I have experience. After reading the post, it sounds like I've never been camping with dogs before. I was trying to make sure my list was complete and its nice to know what other people take!

Depending on when I go will determine if I have 5 or 3 with me. I'm not too worried about the number. All the dogs will be leashed at all times or wearing an e-collar if off leash. I'm not worried about taking 5, they all get along and are well behaved!

Dekka

Just try me..
I would say take less dogs.

I have camped with dogs a fair bit. And I have camped by myself (though with no dogs) recently.

That is a lot of dogs in your tent, if something goes on you could have issues controlling all 5. Dogs can get out of tents without too much effort IME. Also depending on your site you might not have enough room for 5 tie outs.. plus many camping places we went to in the US had rules about tying things too, and around trees.

I love camping with my dog, but I don't think I would take more than a couple with me if I was by myself.

ACooper

....Also depending on your site you might not have enough room for 5 tie outs.. plus many camping places we went to in the US had rules about tying things too, and around trees. ...
Not only all the above, Many state parks (Indiana and Michigan I know for sure) have rules stating NO DOG LEFT UNATTENDED at your site. You can't crate them and leave, can't stake them and leave........you're not even supposed to put them in your camper or car and leave the site. So anything you do will have to be ALL FIVE AT ONCE! LOL If you can handle that, kudos........I KNOW I couldn't do it! Nor would I want to! LOL

Not saying you are going to be at a state park, but many camp grounds have the same rule. (for good reasons obviously)

Red Chrome

I haven't decided where I am going to camp yet, a large state campground or in the mountains where there are very few people.

I am hoping to just take my 3 but it depends on if I go next weekend or the following one since I have 2 extra dogs till next weekend.

Members online

No members online now.