Best way and what to use to clean teeth

goldiefur

My Golden Gunner really needs to start getting his teeth cleaned he has tartar/plaque bad. I use petrodex toothpaste and I use petzlife but not as much as I should. Is there anything better I can be doing for him and is petzlife really that good? I don't think I have ever posted pics of Gunner on here I will have to remember how to do it.

Petzlife is the best stuff I've seen.

I won't put my dogs under for a teeth cleaning. If I notice the teeth starting to look bad I'll give them each a raw bone to chew on, but I also have a set of dental tools and I have scraped the plaque off myself. It just takes a little training and a reward and the dog will usually lay on their side and let me do it.

For most people though, I reccommend the Petzlife gel/spray. It really does work if you use it consistently.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I just bought Leba III and received it in the mail yesterday. Emma (my 3lb, 2 year old chihuahua) has pretty bad teeth. She's on a raw diet and I brush them, and they're still bad. I tried Petzlife spray and it hasn't done anything to improve her teeth, and the last thing I want to do is put her under for a teeth cleaning.

Chloe has some tartar so I'm going to do the twice a day Leba spray for her as well. The others will all get it once a day for maintenance. I REALLY hope it works!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Petzlife is the best stuff I've seen.

I won't put my dogs under for a teeth cleaning. If I notice the teeth starting to look bad I'll give them each a raw bone to chew on, but I also have a set of dental tools and I have scraped the plaque off myself. It just takes a little training and a reward and the dog will usually lay on their side and let me do it.

For most people though, I reccommend the Petzlife gel/spray. It really does work if you use it consistently.
Same here, except instead of raw bones I give Auggie a bully stick. Raw bones didn't seem to do the trick for him but bully sticks will! I just scaled his teeth last weekend though, they had gotten pretty bad... he went without bully sticks for a while because I didn't have one to give to Payton too and didn't want Payton to pester him over it even if Auggie was crated with his bully stick. I need to stock up again.
I did have one left and split it in half for both boys, and somehow Georgie stuck her nose through Payton's crate bars and stole his, then ran off with it. OMG.

But yeah, scaling them myself will usually do the job too if it's gotten out of control! We have PetzLife gel that is sitting out next to the crates that I kept meaning to give to the boys every morning but I forget. =P But from past use, I know it does a great job of softening up the plaque to make it really easy to scale off.

Lyzelle

Bully sticks do the trick here, too. I've tried sprays and gels, but plain chewing works best here. They aren't pearly white, but they are good enough, and there's no bad breath. Diet plays a factor, too. I've fed some kibbles and the teeth were just terrible, no matter what.

Luckily with a good diet and something to chew on Zander's an easy keeper.

Toller_08

I use a dental scale on my dogs' teeth if they look like they need it. Mine all tend to have nice, clean teeth and they chew a lot. Nylabones and Elk antlers are always available to them, plus they get raw bones constantly and Bully Sticks sometimes too. But sometimes they'll get some plaque build up on their teeth anyway and I just scrape it off with the dental scale. It doesn't bother them and it's a quick, easy way to get any build up off. I bought mine at a dog show for like $10.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Chewing works best for the BCs, but for small dogs I notice that chewing doesn't always do the trick. Ripley had tartar on his teeth despite being raw fed.

I use a small scaling tool to get tartar off of the canine teeth. Everything else gets nicely cleaned by raw bones and rec bones.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I have a scaler that I use on Rory's teeth, and he's good about letting me do it. The scaler is AWESOME! I've used it on Rylie and Tucker, but Chloe hates it. Emma's mouth is literally too small for it. I can't even open up her lips enough to get it in, and she's too squirmy to even try.

Everyone gets bully sticks on a normal basis as well, but small dogs in general have a rough time with tartar buildup on their teeth. Ugh.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Apparently the liquid that you add to their water is supposed to work nicely. I've been contemplating buying some.

Lucy's teeth got in bad shape because I was a major slacker when it came to brushing. So now I use the Petzlife spray and gel on her teeth and it does work if you use it consistently. If you're trying to get rid of tartar that's already there, you have to use it twice a day and it does take a few weeks to notice a difference. I think a lot of people give up on it before then and decide it's "not working" when really they're just not being consistent and patient enough.

I also use dental chews (Bright Bites and Zukes Z-Bones), I don't know if they're really that special, but my dogs actually take the time to CHEW them into little pieces, instead of swallowing big chunks... so that reason alone makes them more effective for my dogs. Bully sticks don't really do anything for their teeth.

Raw bones are good too.

henry_love

I've tried Petzlife, but I don't like the alcohol as one of the main ingredients. My dog is too squirmy to let me brush his teeth with the standard brush & paste method. I use a product called dentasure. It's all-natural and comes in a spray or gel form. Similar to petzlife, but I feel it's safer. Gives me better peace of mind anyway! I still give Coal rawhides and bones because he loves them, but the dentasure really cleans his teeth. dog dental care is as important as human dental care, so I understand the frustration of trying to find the best and most cost-efficient way to clean your pup's teeth.

Staff online

Members online