Kenneling dogs--question for those with DA dogs

xpaeanx

LOL .. differing opinions. My holistic vet likes the Bord vac b/c kennel cough is common in the shelters and rescues around here. But he does have some reservations ... he vacs puppies with Bord, but it's owner's choice on "boosters" unless the dog will be kenneled or in day care ... then he does recommend it. Maybe not a common infection in your area though.

His opinion is that with initial vacs many immunities are life-long, or strong enough that incidential exposure shouldn't cause a problem. BUt continued exposure might be. Bord is likely required for kenneled dogs, as you said, but not sure as we don't kennel our dogs.
I didn't say that the vets around me dont give bord... it's just that there is argument about whether the vaccine really does anything. The vets here definatly give the bord vaccine(otherwise I'd have to wonder what they were giving to my dogs ;) )

The holistic vet here will just give vaccines he thinks the dog needs(the #1 reason why I don't use him), the normal vets give rabies and stress DHPP, and they recommend lymes and lepto. If you board then you have to get the bord... they however, will not give a shot without consent from the owner.

If you don't mind me asking... if you're dogs don't go to kennels then why do you give the shot? are they at dog parks alot?

That's one difference from our holistic vet ... he especially recommends a Bord booster for kenneled/day care dogs that are elderly. They are the most likely to have serious reactions to kennel cough infections ... like going into pneumonia. Same with puppies as in elderly dogs ... danger of pneumonia.
If you'll re-read my post you'll see why bailey no longer gets any vaccines. I don't think that being old and sick, I should force his immune system to deal with the vaccine when there is no reason for it.

So either way, I'm sure her dogs have it. My two dogs have it bc they used to go to day care everyday... they don't anymore... so i'll be keeping Keeda UPT on bord, but since bailey is old and sick... I don't think he'll be getting any more vaccines except rabies(bc it's required by law).

If you don't mind me asking... if you're dogs don't go to kennels then why do you give the shot? are they at dog parks alot?
No, not at dog parks a lot but Bord is just too common in this area. Parvo too, unfortunately. Our area's rural (but close enough to civilization :) ) and unfortunately a lot of people here don't vaccinate their dogs at all, except for the required-by-law-and-given-out-free rabies vac.

If you'll re-read my post you'll see why bailey no longer gets any vaccines. I don't think that being old and sick, I should force his immune system to deal with the vaccine when there is no reason for it.
Actually, I agree with you! Only posted our vet's rec. for our area, not my own opinion. When Cheyenne (R.I.P) was elderly we didn't vaccinate her either, except rabies. Our vet left it to our discretion. She never got kennel cough in the over 15 yrs. of her life or any other vaccine-preventable illness, and was healthy thoughout life ... just elderly and wearing out. :(

We took her to the holistic vet (he's also allopathic) b/c he recommended very specific supplements (specific for her breed and condition) that extended her time and quality of life. She had started to get a little arthritis 2 yrs. before she died, his recommended supplements eliminated any pain and stiffness she had without side effects and without her needing to go on Rimadyl. Rimadyl would not have been good for her, the older she got her stomach began getting a little sensitive ... Rimadyl is not good in those cases. She had quality of life literally until the very day she died.

xpaeanx

That sucks that it's so common where you are... I live in the 'burbs, and I've actually only seen a few cases of kennel cough here....

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Why can't they just put him between the other 2, and let him exercise alone if the put dogs out for exercise?

I have a couple that can be DA, and if/when they go for boarding it's never an issue, they just keep them separate.

:D
oh--now there is a good idea--it will cost me more, but could be the solution!
Thanks.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I have an issue with how a thread about boarding a DA dog turned into a debate on if the Kennel Cough Vaccine in valid or not. How did we get there?

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I have an issue with how a thread about boarding a DA dog turned into a debate on if the Kennel Cough Vaccine in valid or not. How did we get there?
well, I'm not sure...lol!

I have been talking with the kennel--and have things worked out --so I guess I can relax about it for now. They have been awesome--which they always have been when we have used them in the past. I feel better having figured it out.

mrose_s

BusterLove
We kennel ours whenever we have to go away. We much prefer them to be set up in a safe enclosure just designed to keep them in. I won't do pet sitting.

Anyway, last time we kenneled them was the first time we had ever kenneled Mac, Harry or Buster.
We put Buster in with Mac and Sophie in with Harry because we knew they got along best.
2 weeks later we went to pick them up, they smelt bad and had all lost so much muscle but they were safe and sound.

Last time we kenneled them we told them about Busters DA, he was not to run with any other dogs but he could run with our 4 but thats all. They were fine about it and I have no issues with leaving him in their care.

This year we're going away for christmas, we're going through the same kennel but I've told my mother over and over we can't take Harry. We're going to have to tell them what he's like with people and no kennel in their right mind will take on a dog that might bite. That said, his issues have got a million% better and he's never really gone out to hurt someone even when he's had the chance but I just don't think leaving him with someone else is responsible.

milos_mommy

Can you do a doggy day care or hotel, or even bring him to someone's home instead?!?

Bringing Milo to a kennel was a nightmare...he went downhill so badly and it pretty much caused most of his aggression problems...some dogs do okay but some don't.

Members online

No members online now.