Problem with puppy chewing blankets

chibul

My Oliver is almost a year old now (March 30!), and he's the greatest puppy I could ever have asked for. Our only complaint is that he likes to chew our blankets and pillows - REALLY likes to chew them. He's torn holes in three of our nicest blankets, leaving stuffing all over the house, and he's ripped two pillows to shreds. He doesn't chew or tear up anything else he's supposed to, but the blanket issue is becoming a big problem. What can I do to stop it? He has various chew toys, but he really doesn't chew them very often, and some not at all. Am I just not getting the right kinds of chew toys? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

moe

First off I would restrict your puppies access to the blankets, no access, no chance to chew. for any other bits of say furniture etc, you can buy bitter apple sprey etc, this deters the dog from chewing, but personally it didnt work with one of my pups, but hot chilli sauce did lol. just smeared a little of the sauce on the area it chewed, pup has one go at it and bang,the pup dislikes the taste and will not go to that area again.

Mo

chibul

Well, the only problem there is that Oliver sleeps with us at night, and generally will wake up at times to do his chewing. So restricting him from the blankets isn't feasible...plus it wouldn't really teach him not to do it.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think the bitter apple may help. Two of mine like to chew on the area rugs so when they start to chew, I spray that area.

D

Dobiegurl

My puppy used to suck my quilt. It was so nasty because it was wet and slimy. I just didn't allow him on my bed, only at bed time and he sleeps the whole night.

bubbatd

Get him one that doesn't squeak too .... he may like the feeling of something solf in his mouth.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I say you have 2 choices.

Continue to let the dog shred your bedding, or restrict the dog's access to your bedding.

What breed is this dog? What sort of training has he had? How much exercise does he get in the day? Do you feed on a schedule or not? Is he neutered? You could keep it from going all over the house by gating him in your room, but this would not stop him from munching what's on the bed while you are sleeping.

If this were my puppy, I would get him a nice wire crate, put it beside the bed, and let him sleep there until he grows up a bit and gets over the night time chewing stints.

chibul

bubbatd said:
Get him one that doesn't squeak too .... he may like the feeling of something solf in his mouth.
I think that may be true, because sometimes he'll put one of the blankets in his mouth and just sit there, not licking or chewing on it. Thanks for the advice!

Members online

No members online now.