broke my foot!/puppy handling

I've been getting great advice here. Thanks guys.

I have a bit of a problem. I've broken a bone in my foot. I'll be in plaster 6 weeks. My boyfriend has a demanding work schedule and I'm in a foreign country. So basically it's me in sole charge of the puppy. He's somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks old. He's not yet housebroken. We were persuading him to use the bathroom floor whilst roaming around the flat but that's a no go now. I'd slip in it. So we'll try the putting him in a pen and taking him out every hour to use the litter tray method. That way I won't slip in anything I'm not suspecting or get knocked over. I thought I could hold him and bum shuffle over to the litter tray and hold him there. Will that work? (eventually. I imagine in the beginning we'll have a lot of accidents.)

I know changing his routine like this isn't ideal but the alternative is I break my neck.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Being that the puppy may be as young as 6 weeks, he may have to go more than every hour. I find that right after eating/drinking, a puppy that young has to go within a minute or two since they can't control themselves yet. Make sure to take the puppy to the tray after sleeping also.

I'm so sorry to hear about your foot and hope it heals quickly. We'd love to see a pic of your puppy.

Doberluv

A-w-w-w...I'm so sorry your foot is broken. How awful and how difficult to deal with the puppy with a broken foot. I do hope you'll mend well and quickly.

:( We've decided to return him the original owners and get a smaller younger dog when I recover. We made an unwise choice for such a small apartment. (I know it's bad keeping dogs in apartments but everyone does it in asia because very few people have houses with gardens) I feel sad but it's better for the puppy because he came from a good home.

My boyfriend likes yorkies. What are they like in terms of behaviour and training? I've heard they can be a bit jealous.

avenlee

I'm sorry you had to make that decision! But, if its better for the puppy, then you probably made the right decision. I haven't had any experience with yorkies. What I've heard they are full of energy and quite hyper. I think you'll probably get a better description for others here.

Hope your foot is on the mend! Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.