Help with litter box training

Marlene

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm having some trouble litter box training Sophie, my 11 week old cockapoo. I want her to use the bathroom inside forever. I started her on pottypads, she took to this really well and after 2 weeks was seeking them out on her own and consistently using them. So I thought it was time to move on to litter box training. I place some dog litter in the box and placed her pee pad on top. Well that didn't work, she moved the pee pad and went right to eating the litter. So I removed the pee pad and tried using just litter to no avial. After a week I though maybe I moved her to the litter too fast. So I placed a pee pad in the litter box. She still won't go in the litter box on the pee pad, she runs around the house and pees and pos everywhere else. When pee pads are in her pen area she will use those with no accidents. But when the litter box is in her pen area she will either hold it until it is time to come out, them pee and poo eveywhere else or she will remove the pee pad from the litter box and has an accident.

When she pees and poos in the correct area she gets lots of praise and a treat. When she doesn't if I catch her in the act she gets a firm no and I move her to the correct location. Most of the time she is already done though. I have even had some poo fall out of her bum on my foot. :eek:

She has seen me clean her messes from the beginning of the training.

Can anyone help me understand why she won't use the litter box with a pee pad in it but she will use the pee pads when on the floor? What am I doing incorrectly?

I eventually want her to use the litter box with doggy litter in it.

tmillermsu

In my experience, puppy housetraining is most effective when you have a schedule. Puppies tend to need to go after three activities: sleeping, exercising, or eating. When your puppy needs to go, place her in the litterbox and wait for her to do her business. When she does, praise her repeatedly. This will take some work and requires your supervision, but eventually, she will understand that doing her business in the box makes you happy, and she will go there and do it on her own. The key is keeping her on a relatively set schedule and being consistant.

bubbatd

Can't you take her out ??? Most dogs want to go privately outside. While on my trip with EliN and our dogs, I took many plastic bags. Both dogs chose to go into a shrub area and backed in to go . I used one bag in 10 days for Chip. We stayed at a cottage with 2 pugs....they went where ever they chose....and the cottage sure smelled that way !

Members online

No members online now.