Golden Retrievers

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
How hard is it to find a good, reponsible Golden breeder?
I am opening my opinions on breeds and Goldens seem to be the best all around dog.
Oh, I took 4 more different breed selector tests and Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Goldens were in my top 5 on all 4.

Ok back to Goldens.
TIA :)

bubbatd

Going through breed clubs is your best bet . Nashnseger's mom knew this with me being a former breeder . She contacted the Indiana breed club and asked for references ....they gave her a list of breeders. They only recommend those with proven records and of course health checks . She had to wait 6 months , but Seger was well worth it . Belonging to the WRGRC here for over 50 years , I'm sure I could help you as they know good breeders in GA. If you find someone you like , I could ask for you . I really would stay away from computer sites . Take your time !!

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
thanks Grammy.
I would LOVE for you to help me out with breeders.
I live GA and would like to first, look for breeders in the surrounding states.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Grammy won't lead you astray, Dakotah.

I think a Golden would be a good dog for you!

bubbatd

I meant to add that Seger's breeder was in Ohio . Yes , look into the GA breed club ... they will probably ask you to register a form as a potential buyer . If and when you find one , I'll ask here what they know of the breeder . Would be glad to help out in any way .

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh my god. I didnt know you lived in GA! I know a woman who breeds Goldens, she lives in Peachtree City, if you know where that is, and Ive been to her house and kennel, all the dogs she has are lovely and they all live in the house with her. Man, she must have gone through three or four vacuum bags a day in the shedding season.

Anyway, her kennel name is Bearabella Goldens, http://www.bearabellagoldens.com/ there is a link to her website. She is a little expensive though, Im not sure what youre price range is...

Last edited:

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Oh my god. I didnt know you lived in GA! I know a woman who breeds Goldens, she lives in Peachtree City, if you know where that is, and Ive been to her house and kennel, all the dogs she has are lovely and they all live in the house with her. Man, she must have gone through three or four vacuum bags a day in the shedding season.

Anyway, her kennel name is Bearabella Goldens, http://www.bearabellagoldens.com/ there is a link to her website. She is a little expensive though, Im not sure what youre price range is...
ahhh!! I love you! lol.
I have to look at the site and see her prices. I actually live 45 minutes away from Peachtree City!

Dekka

Just try me..
One comment on goldens. I have met some really drivey ones but they are field lines. I don't think I would do flyball with a conformation golden. Most of the ones I have met are not nearly drivey enough, and those that are are so heavy (loads of bone-not fat) that I would be leary of having them slam into the box repeatedly.

Either would be good for obedience.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Well I dont know what I'm going to go with.
I LOVE the Corgis, they remind me of little pigs with fur and ears that stand up.
Poodles are good to.

For me, it would probably be better to have a Corgi cause they are a "bigger dog in a shorter package".
But opinions are still open.

bubbatd

What are you looking for ???? Companion ,, show or field/agility work ??? I know none of mine would have been good in agility !!! Too laid back ! They'd do it , but slowly !

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I'm looking for a companion. In any dog breed I am looking at. I dont want to show in a showring. But do obedience and possibly flyball.

bubbatd

Zoom , why am I so anti web sites ???? I'm just don't trust them !!!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I can understand being leary of websites, but, some of the nicest GSDs Ive met, their breeders just werent very computer savvy, and didnt have very good websites.

Ive met the lady, Ms. Lamont, she is a very nice woman, and Im sure if you set up a time to go and hang out with her and her dogs, she would be happy to talk your ear off. She loves talking about her dogs, and I spent atleast an hour talking away with her about Goldens and GSD's (she used to breed GSDs) She is a very responsible woman, and a sucker for a cute pup too! She doesnt breed too often, and when she does she is breeding firstly for herself as she shows her own dogs, then for the public. Her oldest dog is 14 or 16 I think, and he was as fit as a fiddle.

Maybe when you get your puppy, whatever it is, we could meet up and have a playdate?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
She also seems to have a few young adult dogs for placement. When I was there she had kept a few puppies back, because they all showed potential, and Im betting that a few of them have some flaws that disqualify or fault them in the show ring. Let us know if you talk to her!

RD

Are you dead yet?
How competitive do you want to be in flyball, Dakotah? Because quite frankly, if you want a dog that will be a good competitor on a flyball team, you should not expect a "medium drive" dog. Ever. Good flyball dogs are so high drive, most people can't handle them. Most meaning, 99% of people who DON'T do flyball. Think active Border Collies, Jack Russells and the like. Do you have previous experience with flyball? Do you know what the sport is all about or even know if you'd enjoy it?

Any dog can do obedience (though I've found that Goldens in particular *love* it) and be successful, but it takes a certain type of dog to be truly great at flyball, and that type of dog is most certainly NOT what you are describing as your ideal pet.

Corgis, too, are nice dogs but I've found that they have about as much drive, energy and spunk as Border Collies. Not particularly low maintainance, easy going, medium drive dogs - even though they LOOK like they should be!

bubbatd

I am familiar with some in the line .... Dakota , PM me your e-mail and I'll send you Seger's line ......

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
thanks everyone.

RD- I dont really know how competitive I want to go. I'm just one of those people I go as far as I can, I guess.

Members online