Potty problems!

caninelvr

Almost Human
I've got a Shepherd Mix, he's 41/2 years old, 5 in January, I am newly single. Scout had always been in a crate during the day when I was married, when we moved, I stopped crating him, for various reasons, I felt bad that he was left alone all day, he loves looking out of the window, etc. well now he's taken to peeing on the ends of the couch and one corner of the bed, I've put up towels and he still goes! and even put him back in his crate, but again, it makes me feel bad b/c he's alone all day.... I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do..... HELP! :confused:

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Well, from the little I know, using a crate is not really a bad thing. In fact, I have read and heard that a lot of dogs like it. They have a natural "den" instinct and their crate is their "den". We use a crate for our guy at night. During the day whne we leave him home he is isolated in the room ("his room") that his crate is in. He almost never has potty problems during the times we need to leave him in there. Only when we have to be gone 6-7 hours or more, then only MAYBE we will see a pee accident in "his room".

So, perhaps you might go back to the crate for a little bit, but have his crate in a room that you could use to isolate him in while you are gone. Eventually, during the day when you have to go, leave him in the room with his crate available to go in if he likes. I think it might have to do with the idea that he knows it is "his" space and dogs usually do not want to do their business where they sleep.

Does this make sense? Anyone? Please note I am NO expert on the topic, I am just telling you what works for us. Good LUCK!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yeah our dogs LOVE their crates (well Shelby doesn't really like it but she doesn't go in hers anymore). My dogs Mack and Hannah sleep in them (Hannah will eat in hers) and if they think they are going to get in trouble they will run in their crates and give you a look like "I didn't do it". So they feel secure in their crates. Crates are not a bad thing, but you have to make sure it is an adequate size for your baby to be in during the day.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I also thought the same as beagle lovergirl, that maybe you should spray the area with Nature's Miracle so it neutralizes the smell. I don't want to pry, but did you just recently get divorced and move? Maybe Scout is also learning to deal with the new life he has with just you. It might take hiim a bit to adjust and see what a happy life the two of you have together.

Adrienne

Too much freedom for a dog that is already going through big changes. If he never had an issue in the crate before I would still crate him, it is most likely his safe place when you aren't home and without it he may be feeling even more anxious. Dogs are keen to pick up on our stress as well and if you are newly single he is most likely feeding into your emotions as well. If you feel guilty crating him now you could always try giving him one room as his own when you are out, prefrebly one he hasn't used as his "potty" place yet. Good luck with you boy!

Members online